Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Mar 2001, 19:24 (Ref:68530)   #1
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
hey, who's joining? benefits include being smug in a few years, and exclusive bragging rights ('i've been a fan since melbourne - i can prove it...').

or am i alone?
Old 5 Mar 2001, 19:57 (Ref:68543)   #2
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, I'm in too. As European Minardi are based in the same town I live, I'm contractually obliged to support them. But Alonso is cleary something rather spectacular. The boy done good...
Old 5 Mar 2001, 20:08 (Ref:68553)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sign me up! Getting an undeveloped car onto grid alone was a feat. "The kid done good", as they say in thses parts.

Its amazing that M-Fan has made Minardi-support fashionable(along with help from a few others around here.)
Old 5 Mar 2001, 20:45 (Ref:68584)   #4
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Count me in. I was impressed by him after qualifying (hell, that car wasn't expected to make the grid, let alone 19th!), and even more impressed in the race. Okay, I didn't see him once during the course of the race, but he was there, and he brought the car home.

I will join in being smug in a few years. I see good things from Alonso.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 20:58 (Ref:68594)   #5
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I've been impressed with him since I saw him last year in F3000, as early as the first few races, where he was way down the pack, but seemed to be able to do a lot more passing than other drivers. And then he had several excurcions off the track in the beginning of the season, but it all culminated in him winning at Spa. So during the course of that season, I saw a young hot-shoe developing into a cool, calm and collected winner. He completely out-classed everyone at Spa, make no mistake about it.

Sign me up as well!
Old 5 Mar 2001, 21:05 (Ref:68599)   #6
Billy_Hunt
Racer

Billy_Hunt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sign me up !
Just on the merits of what I saw on Saturday and Sunday
Some how I can't see him staying at Minardi for long I'm sure the other teams will be watching him too.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 22:07 (Ref:68624)   #7
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Count me in for a trial membership (I've looked stupid too many times in the past), but after qualifing 19th and finishing well in his 1st race (in a Minardi !), early signs look brilliant.

Now get Minardi an engine and we'll really see his talent!!
Old 5 Mar 2001, 22:07 (Ref:68625)   #8
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You can consider me signed up!

I always had faith in Minardi making the grade, even if only just, but I had no idea that Alonso would do so with such style and conviction He's a natural.

Quote:
Originally posted by Billy_Hunt
Some how I can't see him staying at Minardi for long I'm sure the other teams will be watching him too.
Me neither. He's a Flavio protege! Expect to see him in a Renault if not this year, most likely next!
Old 5 Mar 2001, 22:29 (Ref:68637)   #9
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sparky is absolutely correct, Fernando is still apparently under a contract with Briatore, who has "loaned him to Minardi. With Mr. Fisichella under an escalating contract that Flavio doesn't want to pay, you can virtually guarantee seeing Alonso in a Bennetton next year. Not sure about that Renault 111 degree engine tho' Seems to be down on revs, and revs mean power.
Anyhoo, I'll join the club, its obvious that he and Kimi are the real deal.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 22:41 (Ref:68644)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
AS MOST OF YOU HAVE ALREADY READ MY POSTS ON NUMEROUS OTHER THREADS EXTOLLING THE VIRTUES AND ABILITY OF ALONSO, I MUST (damn, sorry for the caps) admit that I am close to being the founding member of this club. By the way, did any of you see Alonso walk across Albert Park Lake that evening after quals?? I really don't want to bore all of you with a repeat of all I have posted - apart from having to post a two page post, I would probably be banned for flooding the forum.
Old 5 Mar 2001, 22:52 (Ref:68649)   #11
Carla O
Veteran

Portugal
London, UK
Carla O should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

ok ok
i think i'll join for now
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:30 (Ref:68667)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have read today that his excellent finish was in spite of a stop-go penalty for pitlane speeding, and also read that he made an apology for getting in Rubens' way! This kid's the real deal. I'm in! (But of course I'd rather see Button get fired to make room for him. Let's see what the twit can do in a Minardi.)
Old 5 Mar 2001, 23:41 (Ref:68674)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia

HEY!! WHO'S CALLING ALONSO A TWIT?? ( Just kidding ) He is a quiet Spaniard - must have Portuguese ancestry somewhere. I am amazed that he handled himself so well in interviews as well as his driving and his whole attitude. I don't understand why, but he reminds me so much of Jimmy Clark.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:45 (Ref:68720)   #14
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was calling Jensen Butthead a twit. I apologize to all twits. Except Button.

Alonso is gorgeous. I mean, really talented. And of course, I am all four square for Minardi!
Old 6 Mar 2001, 02:59 (Ref:68727)   #15
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Liz, I really don't understand you stand against Bunsen. Perhaps you get a lot more news about him than I do. On the track, though, I think he is quite a good driver. Having said that, I really do believe that Alonso's achievement with the Minardi is a miracle, something that only a very gifted driver can do. I just wonder how strong a hold on his contract Flavio has. Personally, I would rather see Minardi get a factory engine next year, and Alonso to rise with the Minardi star - that would make me doubly happy.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 6 Mar 2001 at 03:05.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 04:08 (Ref:68732)   #16
Diabando
Veteran

Australia
Victoria, Australia
Diabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDiabando should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
*holds hand up*

I am in!!

I watched the progress of Minardi over the whole weekend, and was just amazed with his talent. His driving skills are showing signs of extreme potential, and everyone is right - he wont be in Minardi for long - lets just hope he (or his managers) make the right team choices later on.

Another thing...during the driver parade, his car was parked right in front of where I was standing, and as he walked down from the driver photograph and hopped into the back, he looked at the crowd - everyone was calling for Irvine (who was close), and I was just watching him, when I noticed he was actually looking at me - so I just smiled, and in response, I got the most huge beaming sunshine smile back!! THAT was when I knew he was going to be a star - you can have all the talent, all the speed and the best team...but if you lack that star appeal, that certain way of making people want to support you, to please sponsors etc then you have nothing...and let me tell you - he has it all.

The world of F1 will be in the palm of his hand.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 04:26 (Ref:68734)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Hey Diabando, you lucky stiff. I wish I could have gone - I'll be there next year. Compared to the Minardi effort, both Benneton and Jaguar efforts (and even Prost) were debacles.
Now I saw several interviews of Paul Stoddart, and in one of them, I think (I stress think) he said that he was hoping to secure a works engine for next year. I think that Alonso was courageous to stick with Minardi and to his credit gave the car his very best. That is why I wondered how strong a hold Flavio had on Alonso. That Minardi would be a mid field qualifier at least if they had a works engine. Nevertheless, I really wish that Alonso could get a drive for McLaren next year. I would not wish Ferrari on him, because he would suffer the humiliation that is being inflicted on Rubens if he went there. For me, he was one of the brightest moments of my weekend.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 07:30 (Ref:68783)   #18
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso is unbelievable. I must admit I never really thought he was something special, but after Melbourne ... WOWEE!
Old 6 Mar 2001, 07:32 (Ref:68784)   #19
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please, May I sign up too.

But what some of you have posted about his driving for Benneton?! Please, don't move him there!!! Minardi needs such a driver.

May we dream about Alonso's wins behind the Minardi!!!!
How long will Minardi be bringing up the racer for other teams? Hope, Paul Stoddart will change the situation. The fact, I really like in him, he's a realist who isn't lavish with mere promises (unlike BAR's management for example).
Old 6 Mar 2001, 13:21 (Ref:68856)   #20
kuchi
Veteran

Colombia
Bogota, Colombia
kuchi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Consider me a member too. What he did at qualifying and at the race was great, I mean marques couldn't even get on the grid, an this guy finished ahead of both bennetton's, so I don't think he is planning to go there at least until they have a reliable car. So, hurray Alonso, I hope he get's some points tghis year, that will be awesome.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 13:27 (Ref:68857)   #21
RussianFriend
Veteran

Russian Federation
Moscow, Russia
RussianFriend should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How much posts does any of us need to participate in the lucky draw for Minardi?

Last edited by RussianFriend; 6 Mar 2001 at 13:28.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 13:42 (Ref:68860)   #22
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I am very sorry, but Paul Stoddart doesn't even have a spare car for racing, so the lucky draw for a Minardi is unfortunately not possible.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 16:17 (Ref:68883)   #23
Martin de Miguel
Rookie

Martin de Miguel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
his manager did a big mistake

there was an Interview with Joan Viladelprat the other day on a spanish newspaper (AS), Mr. Viladelprat was extremely mad at Pedro de la Rosa for signing with Jaguar, etc, etc, however what really struck me were his commments about Alonso, according to him Mounsieur Todt was really upset because he had offered a contract to Fernando to stay to years at Prost and become official Ferrari driver in 2003 but Adrian Campos manager of Fernando had decided to sell his rights to il Signor Briatore. The exact words of Viladelprat about Jean Todt were that he was really angry because he turn down an incredible Ferrari offer.

Anyway this guy was Karting world champ, FNissan champ and we all saw him in SPA last year so morally I was in the club already so sign me in.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 17:04 (Ref:68888)   #24
senna12
Veteran

senna12 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Valve Bounce, you may be right about Stoddart getting a works engine for next year, and with a driver of Fernandos' obvious ability, it provides him with an excellent bargaining chip,as everyone wants to be associated with a winner. The problem is going to be either Flavio's contract with him, or the availability of works motors, especially if Ferrari and Mr. Todt are as upset as Martin said. There aren't too many options for works engines at the moment. Maybe Paul should talk to the folks at Toyota???
Anyway,it looks like Flavio's holding all the cards. This will get more interesting as the year goes on,for sure.
Old 6 Mar 2001, 19:08 (Ref:68925)   #25
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Diabando
*holds hand up*

...during the driver parade, his car was parked right in front of where I was standing, and as he walked down from the driver photograph and hopped into the back, he looked at the crowd ...I was just watching him, when I noticed he was actually looking at me - so I just smiled, and in response, I got the most huge beaming sunshine smile back!! THAT was when I knew he was going to be a star...but if you lack that star appeal, that certain way of making people want to support you, ...and let me tell you - he has it all.

The world of F1 will be in the palm of his hand.
It sounds to me like some one has a SERIOUS crush...