Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 May 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2872755)   #1
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Dad's Day Out 2011

Hi Guys and Gals,

Dad's Day Out is a charity day held at Dunsfold (Top Gear Track near Guilford, Surrey) in aid of The Childrens Trust. This years event is on Saturday 14th May and I need an extra 10 marshals who can help out for a morning or afternoon shift.

The day comprises mainly of hot rides in super cars for which people pay lots of money. Last year there were plenty of Ferrari's, Lambos, Porches, Aerial Atoms, Astons and much much more.

Marshals will be given a lunch voucher and sent a family ticket so their loved ones can join them. The reason for a half day shift is because the organisers want you and your family to enjoy the afternoon or morning when you are not working.

It's a pretty easy going day and last year was a great deal of fun so please let me know if you are able to help with this very worthy cause.

nat.pro@marshals.co.uk
Old 9 May 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2877508)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I have had a few last minute drop outs so if anyone is able to help on Saturday (lunch provided along with a family e-ticket) please let me know urgently!!!
Old 9 May 2011, 21:50 (Ref:2877784)   #3
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Chaps, I could really do with another 4-6 helpers, any volunteers?
Old 10 May 2011, 09:54 (Ref:2877986)   #4
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would have volunteered for this as it sounds like a good day out. However, it clashes with a small football match in London that I am going to.
Good luck with this and I hope it might be repeated again next year.
Old 10 May 2011, 09:55 (Ref:2877987)   #5
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks Mark, I am sure there will be another opportunity for you to volunteer next year!
Old 10 May 2011, 10:15 (Ref:2877993)   #6
deadsquirrel
Veteran

United Kingdom
Deepest Warwickshire
deadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddeadsquirrel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Mitchell View Post
I would have volunteered for this as it sounds like a good day out. However, it clashes with a small football match in London that I am going to.
That place was much better when it had a racetrack in it.
Old 10 May 2011, 10:22 (Ref:2877998)   #7
Mark Mitchell
Veteran

England
Staffordshire Moorlands
Mark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMark Mitchell should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed!
Old 10 May 2011, 14:26 (Ref:2878129)   #8
mikenunn-78
Racer

United Kingdom
mikenunn-78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyones is at a loose end Saturday I highly reccommend coming along. It's a bit different and it's for a good cause. I was there last year and jumped at the opportunity to sign up again.
Old 10 May 2011, 14:27 (Ref:2878130)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I could do with another 4-6 people.....please!!!
Old 12 May 2011, 21:33 (Ref:2879628)   #10
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
skeee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikenunn-78 View Post
If anyones is at a loose end Saturday I highly reccommend coming along. It's a bit different and it's for a good cause. I was there last year and jumped at the opportunity to sign up again.

Ditto that.

Wasn't just Ferraris but allsorts.
Best bit last year was seeing my nephew after his ride in the Ariel Atom!
Old 12 May 2011, 23:23 (Ref:2879667)   #11
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry, I'm on Dads taxi service, my daughter has a job interview.
Old 14 May 2011, 22:37 (Ref:2880425)   #12
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Well I was already short with 11 marshals booked but only 7 turned up. This makes it very difficult to plan things especially as this event is once a year. It really didn't leave the organisers with a good impression of our commitment sadly.
Old 15 May 2011, 16:16 (Ref:2880676)   #13
Jacko
Rookie

England
Frimley, Surrey
Jacko should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was there Stephen and had a great time. Roll on next year.
Old 15 May 2011, 18:33 (Ref:2880725)   #14
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Never fair to drop out without at least the courtesy to say so in advance!

Try to get the date publicised very early for next year and give us less excuse for booking up elsewhere . . .
Old 15 May 2011, 18:47 (Ref:2880732)   #15
Tal Aras
Racer

United Kingdom
Slough
Tal Aras should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a nice day, halfway down the runway (my daughter said I was so far away I looked like an orange jelly baby) and the family had a great day.

Standing by the exit to the Followthrough with the really quick stuff going past down the runway was an experience, as were the Teslas. The only thing you hear is the tires on the track - and the big engine in the car they've just gone past.

Can I sign up for next year now?

Last edited by Tal Aras; 15 May 2011 at 18:48. Reason: Pressed submit before finishing
Old 15 May 2011, 18:49 (Ref:2880735)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Thanks for your help and I'm glad you had a great day!
Old 15 May 2011, 19:07 (Ref:2880744)   #17
nks100
Rookie

England
Aldershot
nks100 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did you notice that the follow through tyre wall looks like it has been moved back by a tyres width? During the morning the braking point moved further torwards the chicane and the red Dodge Viper was going some!
Old 15 May 2011, 23:51 (Ref:2880856)   #18
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire
As there were insufficient marshals we were indeed thinly spread out about on track with only Ray and one other handling the release and the return of cars. (Last year there was about three or four each managing the release and return, including me, which was a far more interesting post.)
In spite of this I think Ray did a great job coping on his own.
Also thanks for the packed lunches they were appreciated, but could we have some more yellow flags as some posts needed them.

Mark me down again for next year as the sight of an Audi R8 creeping past the Ford GT on the runway with the sight (and awesome sound) of an Enzo storming past both was quite impressive and made it all worthwhile!
Old 16 May 2011, 00:05 (Ref:2880858)   #19
skeee
Racer

Cyprus
Wiltshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tal Aras View Post
as were the Teslas. The only thing you hear is the tires on the track - and the big engine in the car they've just gone past.
?
I noticed there were two Teslas this year which seemed to last the whole day.
Last year there was only the one and I seem to remember it finishing(?) early.
As much as I admire their technical achievement (they are blooming quick) I hope they don't catch on 'cos if I was out on my pushbike and one of them whooshed by it'd scare the cr**p out of me. You really cannot hear them coming.
Old 16 May 2011, 07:11 (Ref:2880912)   #20
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Guys - a big thanks to those that came. I was running the pick up and drop off areas on behalf of the organisers and it was obvious you were thin on the ground but those that came did a great job and it was a great day. I understand we did over 1000 rides in the day so that is some going and will represent a very substantial amount of money raised for the charity.
Old 17 May 2011, 08:51 (Ref:2881504)   #21
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
I've just spoken to Richard, the organiser for the day and it looks like it has been a huge success financially. Last year they raised £65,000 and this year the early count is over £90,000 for such a worthy cause.

Richard has asked me to than you all for your help, it was very much appreciated especially as we were so thin on the ground.

Next year I will make sure the marshalling side is better organised. I have to apologise to you all for the lack of flags, that was entirely my fault as I had forgotten that I had borrowed them from Brands Hatch and didn't arrange for the same this year. Richard apologises for the lack of packed lunches and radios.

I am sure you appreciate the huge amount of work Richard does to make the event such a success and he and I will meet long before next years event to go through a check list of things I need to do for the marshals.

I am sorry I was unable to join you this year but work commitments prevented me being there, but my sincere thanks to all of you who did go and were part of such a great day.