Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Nov 2002, 04:01 (Ref:435115)   #1
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Irvine?

So is Irvine SOL for 2003? Anyone heard anything? I'd like to see him do CART.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 06:31 (Ref:435131)   #2
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He is a canadite for a Jordan seat(Sato's seat that is)
Old 23 Nov 2002, 09:33 (Ref:435167)   #3
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
i hope Massa gets it, or Sato. as ive said before, if i ever see eddie irvine agin it will be too soon. he is well past his sell-by date.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 09:46 (Ref:435174)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Unless B&H really pressure EJ and come up with an offer he can't refuse in exchange for hiring Irv, I don't think he will.

Remember EJ got sucked into taking Damon Hill is his last year under pressure from B&H - look how that ended up.

At this level, hiring a driver in his twilight years is as risky as hiring a rookie in his first year.

Lets face it, Eddie hardly had to break into a sweat to beat Pedro, but beating Fizzi is a different matter. He'll get blown away, his head will go down and it will be downhill from there.

I think Eddie Jordan will take Irv if he has to, as a last resort if he can't get a fresh sponsor. Otherwise probably Massa or even keep Sato in the seat.IMO.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 11:26 (Ref:435199)   #5
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"Remember EJ got sucked into taking Damon Hill is his last year under pressure from B&H - look how that ended up. "

thats a good point !......whether or not Irvine is really up for maximum commitment , that thought must be laying in the back of EJ's mind....
Old 23 Nov 2002, 11:33 (Ref:435206)   #6
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
The difference between Irvine and Damon in their last seasons could be that Damon really wanted to retire, where as Eddie doesn't. As Supertourer pointed out, Pedro wasn't a brilliant team-mate where as Fisi would be a brilliant team-mate and i believe that this would force Eddie to up his game again. As for Fisi blowing Eddie away, don't think so, there were times when Taku got the better of Fisi (not many, granted, but a few) so i'm sure that with the experience that Eddie has, he could take the fight to Fisi.

My biggest problem though is, there is only one seat remaining at Jordan, and i want to see Eddie, Taku, Massa and ANT all get it. :confused:

Last edited by Mr V; 23 Nov 2002 at 11:34.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 11:39 (Ref:435212)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i see what your saying Mr V , but it all comes down to commitment doesnt it ......anything less than 100% just isnt going to be enough , adn that must be in EJ's mind a tad !.....after all , although it was a different situation , he has bee bitten before hasnt he .

but i do agree with your last staement.....not enough seats for all these great drivers.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 22:02 (Ref:435487)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
YOu say I hope Eddie does CART. However I am pretty sure he has said on numerous occassions that he considered it (or maybe just oval racing) to dangerous. I don't have the quote. Can anyone confirm?
Old 23 Nov 2002, 22:38 (Ref:435506)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that was Schu.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 22:41 (Ref:435509)   #10
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I understand that Eddie Jordan is in financial difficulties, and unless Eddie Irvine can convert his high salary into a pay drive with the right sponsors, Jordan simply cannot afford him. In fact, I sometimes wonder whether Eddie Jordan will last out next season.
Old 23 Nov 2002, 23:32 (Ref:435549)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I believe that was Schu.
I think both have expressed this. I can find lots of references of this, but no quotes...

It seems the choice at Jordan is between Sato, Massa and Irvine. And as Valve suggests it seems that it is who can bring the most cash!
Old 24 Nov 2002, 01:08 (Ref:435600)   #12
slicktoast
Veteran

slicktoast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Even though he's the second best, he should just go away quietly (for once) and play.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 06:08 (Ref:435633)   #13
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
........or replace James Allen.
I wonder if Eddie can play cricket? Maybe he can get a place on the English Test Team.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 24 Nov 2002 at 06:11.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 10:57 (Ref:435715)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Irvine should just disappear now as with every announcement he makes himself look like more of a fool (not that I thought it was possible!)

I reckon he'd make a great co-commentator!
Old 24 Nov 2002, 18:24 (Ref:435878)   #15
Ej10
Racer

Ej10 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In my view i would prefer to see irv drive for jordan in 2003 rather than sato or massa. In all fairness hes a decent driver and will bring the points in when posible. Also irv and fissi are experienced and can continue to develop the car quicker than fissi and a rookie. id also like to point out in referance to Sato and massa that they are driving cars with traction control, automatic gears and god only knows what other gizmos and gadgets to make the cars easier to drive. they havnt proven to me that they are all that good in cars that are well known to be easy to drive but irv and fissi have driven real F1 cars and have proven themselves to be good.

SO irv and fissi 4 Orange/Bensonandhedges/Sony/redbull/?????????? jordan Ford Ej13 2003
Old 24 Nov 2002, 23:19 (Ref:436058)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
YOu say I hope Eddie does CART. However I am pretty sure he has said on numerous occassions that he considered it (or maybe just oval racing) to dangerous. I don't have the quote. Can anyone confirm?
Adam, he did say this, but also said how he'd like to own his own CART team.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 23:35 (Ref:436071)   #17
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Ej10, I don't think that Eddie showed that much capability at Jaguar even with all the gizmos they had. Also, it is debatable whether Eddie is a better test driver than Mark Webber, Pizzonia, or Ant. All Eddie has shown in the past couple of seasons is that he has a big mouth, and that's why Niki fired him. He upsets the team.
Old 24 Nov 2002, 23:37 (Ref:436072)   #18
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Eddie says lots of things though........most of them are hot air....but isnt that one of the reasons we all love him .
Old 25 Nov 2002, 00:45 (Ref:436098)   #19
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Saying lots of funny things to entrtain the fans is one thing - saying negative rants to upset the teaM IS SOMETHING ELSE. EDDIE HAS UNWITTINGLY PROVEN HIMSELF NOT TO BE A TEAM MAN. Sorry for caps.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 08:52 (Ref:436193)   #20
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I thought the point of Irv going to Jag was to do a 'Schumacher' to try and build a team geared around him as undisputed No 1 driver.

As Jag contined to build a poorer car each year he was lead driver, and not be able to develop it, surely this brings into question Irv's ability as a test/development driver.

If his ability was there, but the team didn't listen, then it was his job to impose his views on the team more. That's part of what he was paid £6M a year for - to lead the team.

Can you imagine Schumacher tooling around at the back for 3 years, with an ever worsening car and simply shrugging his shoulders?

After all, Irv did bill himself as the 2nd best driver in the world didn't he, and Ford believed him.....
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:03 (Ref:436215)   #21
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we cover a lot of winter testing and i don't actually recall ever seeing much of irvine in a ferrari at fiorana or iberia at this time of year....all the leg work seemed to be done by schumacher.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:12 (Ref:436222)   #22
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by kdr
we cover a lot of winter testing and i don't actually recall ever seeing much of irvine in a ferrari at fiorana or iberia at this time of year....all the leg work seemed to be done by schumacher.
But that was proberbly because Irvine wasn't allowed to do much testing
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:29 (Ref:436238)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
I thought the point of Irv going to Jag was to do a 'Schumacher' to try and build a team geared around him as undisputed No 1 driver.
He and JV both.

Taking driving talent from the issue (IMO both were lacking on Michael, although JV was very close), Eddie never had a chance. I have NEVER heard Michael complain about testing, ever.

Michael did'nt just go to Ferrari, grab his cheque and hope Ferrari built a great car, he made it happen.

He made sure Ferrari had the right attitude & budget, he made sure they built the right team (the dream team from Benetton).

It was a total failure. The wrong man in the wrong team for the wrong job.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 10:37 (Ref:436248)   #24
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Irv might not be too bad for Jordan..
Criticise Damon? Don't forget who turned Jordan into a winning team - Ralf, Fisi, Frentzen - NO. D Hill Esq.
Old 25 Nov 2002, 14:17 (Ref:436401)   #25
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JR. I had forgotten that. All I could remember was Ralf Schumacher being robbed of his first win by team orders.