Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 31 Jan 2006, 21:05 (Ref:1513022)   #1
robert77
Racer

England
Worcestershire/Shropshire border
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shelsley Centenary- Event of the Year?

I'm sure (and know) some of you, like myself were at the Shelsley Walsh 100th Anniversary. And I'm positive you will all agree that is was a fantastic weekend.

I read on the Shelsley website a day or two ago that Classic & Sportscar Magazine has voted it as the "Event of the Year", above the Goodwood FoS, Goodwood Revival, Tour Auto and Mille Miglia.

I was just wondering, as I didn't attend any the latter mentioned events, if any of you motorsports fans out there had and what your thoughts are.
I have to say that the Shelsley Cetenary was definately my highlight of 2005.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 10:55 (Ref:1513371)   #2
FLoads
Rookie

FLoads should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It couldn't be anything else but the motorsport event of the year. All the others will take place again and again but that Shelsley celebration will never happen again.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 11:20 (Ref:1513393)   #3
ranoff
Racer

ranoff should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Floads, you went to the Goodwood Revival didn't you. How did that stack up against the Centenary?

Whilst I love the FOS, like the others mentioned it is a recreation whereas Shelsley has the continuous history, wartime excepted of course.

As a by the way, the only motorsport that continued periodically throughout WWII was the old Belle Vue speedway in Manchester.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:12 (Ref:1513593)   #4
robert77
Racer

England
robert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridrobert77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranoff
As a by the way, the only motorsport that continued periodically throughout WWII was the old Belle Vue speedway in Manchester.
Well, as you're the one menti0ning it ranoff, you must be the only one here, old enough to remember it
Old 1 Feb 2006, 16:28 (Ref:1513603)   #5
ranoff
Racer

Hey, you're sharp today!

Did you see any other big events last year to compare it to?

Have to say it was my top event too although at the busiest time on the Sunday afternoon I found the crowd a bit oppressive.

High points? Many, but the hill record going on the Saturday and the sheer expectation for the whole weekend at 6.30 am on the Friday with the Teme shrouded in mist stand out.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:35 (Ref:1513648)   #6
FLoads
Rookie

Shelsley 9.5 out 10: Goodwood, last year 6 out of 10: Goodwood, at its best, 8.5 out of 10. Also bear in mind Shelsley Sunday £15, MAC members Free, for competition from 9.00am to 6.00pm: Goodwood Sunday £40 for 7? races
Yes ranoff, we have been to the last 5 revivals and have usually bought our tickets and booked the hotel by now but not yet ?????. It has been well rehearsed on this forum and in other places about the relative disappointment that many, it seems, people felt about last years event. A lot of small things came up i.e cordoned off areas, ill-spaced flying displays, appalling alleged singer on Sunday, more and more cars that look right but are anything but underneath, too many Sunday drivers etc etc.
Do we go or go to the Oulton Park event instead ????? Probably not, we shall just start saving the £*00 needed for Goodwood.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 17:56 (Ref:1513661)   #7
ranoff
Racer

I vaguely remember the Lotus 23 supporters club (you KNOW who I mean) being fairly enthusiastic about last years VSCC Oulton. You should contact the Physics Teacher for a more detailed appraisal.

I give the Shelsley event a 9.5. As you know I am extremely selective these days so I cancelled my visit to last year's VSCC Mallory on the day on account of the weather and was roundly criticised by Messers Clyno and Morris Special. I would have given some past Mallories a 9.5 for the quality of the racing. You would appreciate the Austin Seven race, and as for the Edwardian scraps between Richard Scaldwell, Mark Walker and Duncan Pittaway, words fail even me! We must make a day of it this year.

We avidly await Moxey's score...
Old 1 Feb 2006, 18:14 (Ref:1513669)   #8
robert77
Racer

England
A scene somewhat like this I think.

[img]http://www.shelsley-walsh.co.uk/images/photos/gallery/100/gallery/DawnShelsley.jpg[img]

I'd think I'd have to go a 9.9 for the Shelsley 100th. Perfect weather, perfect weekend. the most enjoyable meeting I've done at Shelsley.
I didn't go to any other big events in '05.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1513716)   #9
rescue dude
Veteran

England
rescue dude is a back marker
Donnington See-Red is always good.

Last year was excellent if only to see all the ERA's coming down Craner.

Hopefully R4D will be sorted. It did look sad with a big hole where it ought'nt be.
Old 1 Feb 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1513757)   #10
robert77
Racer

England
Quote:
Originally Posted by rescue dude
Hopefully R4D will be sorted. It did look sad with a big hole where it ought'nt be.
Oh dear, don't sound good.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 13:13 (Ref:1514201)   #11
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was fortunate enough to compete at both Shelsley and Goodwood. Choosing between them is difficult as they were so different but on balance I would have to say Shelsley as it can't be repeated.
I found the crowds at Shelsley very oppressive and consequently saw nothing of the runs other than on the big screen. Having said that the Shelsley crowd was more sympathetic to the need to actually move cars in the paddock.
I can't comment as to relatively how well Goodwood scored versus previous years because I was my first time racing there and loved every moment of it.I did attend the first Revival meeting as a mechanic and that would be hard to beat - the commercial aspect was far more discreet.
Old 2 Feb 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1514230)   #12
FLoads
Rookie

The last few words sums it up, in a way, 'the commercial aspect was far more discreet'. Having said that revenue has to pay for the Saturday Party.
There are 4 letters in the current issue of Classic & Sports Car, 2 for and 2 against, which cover the arguments, generally, about Goodwood.