Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 23 Jun 2005, 02:55 (Ref:1337885)   #1
Mekola
Veteran

Kiribati
Atlantis
Mekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMekola should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Tobacco Sponsorship Ban at the end of next month?

I reckon that the tobacco sponsorship ban over the EU will start at July 31st, 2005 and not since October 31st, 2006 as initially was declared. That could made the next German GP as the last European GP with tobacco sponsorship.
How F1 teams are preparing to the next anti-tobacco regs? Williams actually is a la avant-garde with no tobacco sponsorship since 2000, and Red Bull, Sauber, Toyota and Minardi haven't any tobacco ads too.
This thread is to extend this issue and/or give your impressions about the item.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1337890)   #2
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dunno, it might affect the Team Spirit of Renault tho...
Old 23 Jun 2005, 07:14 (Ref:1337979)   #3
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The EU ban was always due to come into force on 1st August.AFAIK the Oct 2006 date refers to a WHO worldwide ban which is dependent on each country ratifying this.
All I wil say is about time too-should have been done 37years ago. In view of recent events,one can hope that this will bring a new F1 in the near future.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 07:17 (Ref:1337982)   #4
Gerben24
Veteran

Netherlands
Heerenveen
Gerben24 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I believe Mclaren is going to lose West. I know they are going to continue with some whiskey sponsorship!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 08:16 (Ref:1338040)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
This debate has been rolling on for years, I am a fierce anti-smoker I absolutely hate being in smokey enviroments, it makes my eyes water, my throat close up, hate it.

Yet I actually quite like tobacco sponsorship, and I think it should stay. I have been watching F1 for probably almost 20 years and have never smoked once. After all I believe everyone has the right to choose, it should be a free market, but if people want to kill themselves with smoke, hey let them, doesn't bother me.

Besides, tobacco sponsorship isn't aimed at starting new smokers smoking, its aimed at existing smokers changing brands, trying to change their allegiance. I think its a shame.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1338078)   #6
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I look forward to seeing the 'new' McLaren Johnny Walker Livery.

Question-in the post-race press conferences they say "Kimi Raikkonen of West McLaren Mercedes", will they now say "Kimi Raikkonen of Johnny Walker McLaren Mercedes"? An interesting one.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 09:08 (Ref:1338081)   #7
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Ive followed f1 all my life as well... Do i smoke ?? NO !!

As a youngster i would watch the Australian Touring Car Championship..... this had the Winfield Nissan GTR's/Commodores, it had Seto's Peter Jackson Falcon, Longhurst raced his Benson and Hedges Super Tourer.. the list goes on.. I was aware of all the ciggerette brands at a young age.

All motorsport does in terms of sponsorship is brand awareness. You dont see a Marlboro Ferrari win, and think "If I Smoke Marlboro's, ill win too".

Yes, i was aware of the brands, but i was also aware that smoking is bad for you.

The only reason Tobacco companies continue to support Formula 1 is because it is there only avenue of sponsorship.

Personaly id rather see Phillip Morris put 50 Mil into lung cancer research then Ferrari..
Old 23 Jun 2005, 11:06 (Ref:1338200)   #8
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Numerous independent studies have showed that Formula 1 fans are significantly more likely to smoke than everyone else. My feeling is that the biggest effect it has is in making it harder for people to stop, rather than tempting them to stop. If tobacco advertising didn't result in any additioanl sales, none of them would advertise, so as to avoid cutting into their collective profits.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1338324)   #9
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Numerous independent studies have showed that Formula 1 fans are significantly more likely to smoke than everyone else. My feeling is that the biggest effect it has is in making it harder for people to stop, rather than tempting them to stop. If tobacco advertising didn't result in any additioanl sales, none of them would advertise, so as to avoid cutting into their collective profits.
I can understand your viewpoint but I disagree completely im afraid. I don't buy the suggestion that F1 fans are more likely to smoke than anyone else? Williams is now sponsored by RBS, does that mean that F1 fans are more likely to go to RBS for a loan?
In fact I have just applied for a savings account, I went to RBS, and the deal they offered me was pretty average, so I went to Bradford and Bingley as they offered me far better rates, I didn't choose to go with RBS just because im an avid Williams fan...
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:35 (Ref:1338343)   #10
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Yes, but u went to RBS first...
Old 23 Jun 2005, 13:40 (Ref:1338347)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
... I went to RBS, and the deal they offered me was pretty average, so I went to Bradford and Bingley as they offered me far better rates, I didn't choose to go with RBS just because im an avid Williams fan...
A bit like JPS. They were the best looking F1 cars, but horrible fags.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 17:03 (Ref:1338503)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes we've had this debate before, but I'll add my 2C anyway. Obviously there are results when a tobacco company sponsors F1, they're not stupid. Some argue that it will only get smokers to change brands. Apparently with products like beer and feminine care only young people really change brands (ever noticed how those ads are always addressed to younger people?). Once the customers are established adults they don't change brands. Tobacco stikes me as a similar kind of product. This would lead me to believe that it's more than just trying to take market share from competitors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monster
if people want to kill themselves with smoke, hey let them, doesn't bother me.
The UK has some form of socialized medicare correct? Your taxes are paying for those people to kill themselves. Do you care now?
Old 23 Jun 2005, 17:12 (Ref:1338516)   #13
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub
The UK has some form of socialized medicare correct? Your taxes are paying for those people to kill themselves. Do you care now?
I don't care about that.

I go motor-racing. Maybe I'll crash and require some hospital treatment. I guess the same argument could be applied to say it is unfair on other tax payers that I get it. Or maybe it is unfair to treat those that go walking and might trip. Or swimming. Or anything that is not sat at home. Actually that is unfair too, as they won't get the exercise and the rest of us will have to pay for their treatment when they have heart problems.

In addition they haven't banned smoking so it is still legal.

As for advertising, presonally, I'm not bothered. Alhough Tobacco cars (aswhere the billboards) are amongst the most attractice around!
Old 23 Jun 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1338518)   #14
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Ah, actually this is the F1 forum (so I will delete my previous remarks!). Let us keep it to how it effects F1 (or the teams in F1).

The rights and wrongs of smoking, advertising smoking and your favourite cigerette brands are all things for parc ferme .
Old 23 Jun 2005, 20:53 (Ref:1338670)   #15
gazza285
Rookie

gazza285 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
parc fumé?
Old 23 Jun 2005, 22:16 (Ref:1338770)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snrub

Smokers pay far more tax than non smokers, ergo, they pay more towards health care.
Old 23 Jun 2005, 22:31 (Ref:1338789)   #17
richard_sykes
Racer

Wales
Wales, Uk
richard_sykes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I heard the logo was going to be replaced with a "Smoking Kills" picture.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 06:14 (Ref:1338962)   #18
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
Apart from anything else: the non-smoker's taxes (if not used as they currently are) could only ever be not used for paying for helping saving the lives of smokers, as opposed to being used for helping the smoker kill themselves. Unless there is something very weird going on.

When I left the UK, the government was putting the idea about making smokers sign contratcs with their doctors if they needed treatment for a smoking related illness; if they broke the contract, then they would just be left to go and die of cancer or whatever.

Has that ever got anywhere?
Old 24 Jun 2005, 10:19 (Ref:1339080)   #19
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There is a moral principle involved in the EU's attitude to smoking. But when billions of pounds of tax revenue are at stake, we have to consider very seriously how far we are entitled to indulge ourselves in the rather selfish luxury of pursuing moral principles.............

Yet cigarette taxes pay for the equivalent of half the cost of the British National Health Service. We are saving many more lives than we otherwise could because of those smokers who voluntary lay down their lives for their friends. Smokers are national benefactors.....

.........tweaked a little but basically from our fearless friend Sir Humphrey Appleby, of Yes Minister fame.. (YPM 1.3 - The Smoke Screen)

We lost tobacco sponsorship on this side of the world at the end of 1995... Philip Morris continued the next year, with a "Pack Leader" branded car, but they didnt continue after that season....

It is not beyond the realms of possibility that other brands in the Philip Morris portfolio could replace Marlboro as the title sponsor at Ferrari... or indeed the car runs in the colour of Marlboro, but no branding appears.....
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 24 Jun 2005, 17:20 (Ref:1339360)   #20
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I was wondering whether Kraft would get involved, since they are part of Altria (of which Philip Morris is part). Or is it rebranding? Not sure.

Either way, the door would be open for Kraft.

I still reckon there is eveyr likellihood of the team just running teh design without the words. Some people seem certain that hte EU laws prohibiting the desgin of products being shown etc. willl cover that possibility.....personally, I think that proving the matter ina court of law would be rather difficult.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 19:28 (Ref:1339442)   #21
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutton
I was wondering whether Kraft would get involved, since they are part of Altria (of which Philip Morris is part). Or is it rebranding? Not sure.

Either way, the door would be open for Kraft.

That won't happen.

Marlboro upped its F1 presence as it was one of the few places it could promote fags.

You can advertise cheese anywhere.
Old 24 Jun 2005, 19:41 (Ref:1339453)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
What about Parmalat!

Cheese advertising. Soon that will be banned too, F1 may be their last chance too. Could you imagine it? Edam Minardi Cosworth v. Stilton McLaren Mercedes v. Brie Renault, etc...
Old 24 Jun 2005, 22:49 (Ref:1339560)   #23
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Yes, kb, but the point is that tobacco advertising is soon to stop. Are you saying they would elave rather than use the opportunity to advertise one of their other products?
Old 24 Jun 2005, 23:40 (Ref:1339571)   #24
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
What about Parmalat!
Co-sponsored by Enron, MCI Worldcom and Tyco
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 25 Jun 2005, 02:20 (Ref:1339617)   #25
ferrarifan
Rookie

ferrarifan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonhill9884
Yes, but u went to RBS first...
Pretty smart reply.... althought I don't agree with you....

I think that to allow tobacco sponsorship is a way to permit that the tobacco companies return the rest of us something in change of the big damage they cause.

Furthermore: I don't smoke, I don't have any HP device, I don't like Red Bull, I don't like the FIAT's....

Yes, I prefer Shell gas, and my Pathfinder has Bridgestone tyres...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootOntheSide
Numerous independent studies have showed that Formula 1 fans are significantly more likely to smoke than everyone else.
Can you point me to any of those studies?? I'm very curious to see one, and see the methodology followed....