Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:04 (Ref:697266)   #1
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya: what is your problem?

I can't believe Juan was complaining about Michael racing him hard...

Juan is the biggest hypocrite in motor racing...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:06 (Ref:697268)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
When was this? And was he complaining or making a statement?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:07 (Ref:697270)   #3
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
in the press conference ,he said something about Michael being too aggressive in turn 1
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:09 (Ref:697272)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ooh. No we mustn't bite on this because it will turn nasty. There was a lot of aggression from most of them.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:09 (Ref:697273)   #5
Stephenw
Rookie

Stephenw should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the press conference...half his comments were about Michael, something like "I can't believe the way he is racing".

What a moron. It was for position and they were the c'ship leaders...

I really can't stand Montoya, ever since I saw him cry like a woman when he got his head bumped by a camera man...

Montoya is such a whining tool...
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:697280)   #6
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I checked the video again and I couldn't really see what he was complaining about, maybe the cameras didn't catch it.

But my favorite was "I was backing off so much that I spun."

Hey JP, losing concentration for the 3 time this season is completely different than backing off to save the car.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:697283)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Now, now. Can't have peeps being negative about the second coming can we? Please remember there are some sensitive people on the board.

OTOH......................
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:14 (Ref:697284)   #8
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Stephen, don't be so taken in by a few comments in a press conference. I wouldn't be surprised if JPM was just throwing a couple of psychological curve balls at the old man... dangerous ploy if he was, because it certainly won't upset Michael

So he's a bit hotheaded now and again - so what? We need drivers who wear their heart on their sleeve.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:20 (Ref:697296)   #9
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Stephen, don't be so taken in by a few comments in a press conference. I wouldn't be surprised if JPM was just throwing a couple of psychological curve balls at the old man... dangerous ploy if he was, because it certainly won't upset Michael
And then we have Michael defending JPM's move on him at Nurburgring, yet people accuse Schumacher of hypocrisy.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:23 (Ref:697300)   #10
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Garcon. With the greatest of respect, we don't need drivers like that who potentially throw wins and points away! You and others with that opinion are harping back to the good old days of Ronnie P, Keke R etc. (and I don't recall them throwing points away on the cross of "bravery"). JPM is too emotionally unstable to sustain a championship run. I may be proved wrong but with Kimi back in the frame I see JPM coming under serious pressure especially from Team Willy now he's shown an unwillingness to fight RB/MS/etc.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:29 (Ref:697309)   #11
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used to bash the British press. This has gone to an all new level of low class. I thought this was going to be about his lapse in concentration in the closing momsnts of the race. No, its about some stupid comment. Jesus Christ!!!
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:32 (Ref:697314)   #12
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driver error or not (and apparently not according to Williams) Montoya finished 3rd today due to a storming mid-sector when he put in the quickest lap of the race lap after lap, giving him track position. It seems people need a reason to dislike the guy, but hey, your loss. He got where he got in the race through merit, a point apparently missed by those who care not to look.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:35 (Ref:697317)   #13
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Peter I hear what you're saying, but I'm not really talking about emotionallly unstable - just drivers who aren't afraid to say what they mean and will take the risks to go for glory. I always saw Senna as that kinda guy.

As for whether JPM will hack it, only time will tell. I agreed with your view of him at the start of this season, but he has improved hugely to get himself into a WDC challenging position.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:35 (Ref:697319)   #14
Pitstop
Veteran

United Kingdom
Devon, UK
Pitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote from garcon

"So he's a bit hotheaded now and again - so what? We need drivers who wear their heart on their sleeve."

Eeerrrmmmmm - Why?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:37 (Ref:697321)   #15
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
..................Montoya finished 3rd today due to a storming mid-sector when he put in the quickest lap of the race lap after lap, ............................. He got where he got in the race through merit, a point apparently missed by those who care not to look.
No argument with any of that at all. Just stop telling me (maybe not you Damon) that the guy is so far ahead of anybody else.

If he made a complaint about MS then Neilap, it really is a bit disconcerting. I make no bones about my general dislike for him and its nothing to do with race, or anything other than a basic dislike of overblown, overhyped, loudmouthed braggarts.

Sorry if that makes me as bad as the British press.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:40 (Ref:697326)   #16
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Thing is though Peter, Montoya never blew his own trumpet or touted himself as the second coming, it was the press looking for a new angle. Why do you dislike the guy for being the centre of something he had nothing to do with?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:42 (Ref:697329)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Peter I hear what you're saying, but I'm not really talking about emotionallly unstable - just drivers who aren't afraid to say what they mean and will take the risks to go for glory. I always saw Senna as that kinda guy.
Oops there you go again. Senna and risks? Calculated gambles maybe but risks? Few and far between. As to then putting JPM in the same category I am sorry. He failed to press home any kind of attack today so that doesn't scan does it?

Quote:
As for whether JPM will hack it, only time will tell. I agreed with your view of him at the start of this season, but he has improved hugely to get himself into a WDC challenging position.
Improved yes. And fair play to him for being in with a shout. I'll even cheer for him if he does it.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:42 (Ref:697332)   #18
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Quote:
Originally posted by Pitstop
Quote from garcon

"So he's a bit hotheaded now and again - so what? We need drivers who wear their heart on their sleeve."

Eeerrrmmmmm - Why?
So we can alternately idolise and condemn them here...

All I mean is that it's good to have some drivers out there who will take that extra risk on the track - the hard natural drivers who maybe act before they analyse. That's why occasionally they say something stupid on the spur of the moment that makes them look silly...

I very seldom listen to what the drivers have to say straight after a race - because it very seldom actually means anything.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:45 (Ref:697339)   #19
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
Thing is though Peter, Montoya never blew his own trumpet or touted himself as the second coming, it was the press looking for a new angle. Why do you dislike the guy for being the centre of something he had nothing to do with?
I'm going to paraphrse.

"You get pole position, I'll win the race".

"Some people like looking at gearboxes for the whoile race. I don't".

Never blown his own trumpet?

And there's more....................... but hey ho
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:46 (Ref:697342)   #20
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Maybe Senna's not the best example. I certainly don't mean to directly compare JPM with him - he's got a veeeeery long way to go before that happens (and I don't believe it ever will).

Maybe Villeneuve's a better example?
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:48 (Ref:697345)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Maybe Senna's not the best example. I certainly don't mean to directly compare JPM with him - he's got a veeeeery long way to go before that happens (and I don't believe it ever will).

Maybe Villeneuve's a better example?
Nope. Gilles was a damned fine chap. Jaques? Maybe close then. He whinges a lot.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:50 (Ref:697350)   #22
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Touché
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:51 (Ref:697353)   #23
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I've never seen a quote from Montoya himself saying he was going to set the world alight. A lot of miss quoted lines taken out of context in the press, yes, but nothing straight from the horses mouth.

You yourself have said on many an occasion Peter, and I'm sure as a racer yourself you can relate, there is a time to go on the all out attack and a time not to. I like Montoya because of his gritty, on the edge style, but now he is displaying another layer to his skills that you have always said he doesn't have. Don't criticise him now for using them.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:53 (Ref:697358)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Montoya's sole problem is that this is the moment of his career and the pressure is getting to him.

That you put so much stock in throwaway comments that really don't mean anything says more about you than it does about Montoya.
Old 24 Aug 2003, 14:55 (Ref:697362)   #25
RT
Veteran

United States
Great Lakes Area
RT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I think Juan drove an OK race, not a great drive if you consider that he was beaten by last year McLaren and and a 22 year old in an underpowered car (We may have indeed watched the begining of the "second Coming" in Fernando Alonso.

The fact that he was beaten by Alonso and Kimi when he needed the points most only shows that his nerves are probably quire raw and he was looking for something to complain about.

I expect a lot more of the same during the last three races. Juan's comments do not mean anything more than the very close stamdings.

By the way, any plans from Ferrari to toss Bridgestone into the trash bin for the next season?

Cheers and

Go Kimi !!!

Go Fernando !!!

RT
Closed Thread

Tags
jpm