Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 23 Mar 2004, 22:28 (Ref:917152)   #1
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Alan Green should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Donington Marshals (long post, but good)

At the 750MC meeting last weekend it was good to see new marshals at the circuit, and enjoying what was a very difficult weekend.

However, it was discussed after the event that given the number of people who marshal at Donington, we don't seem to have a very wide circle of marshals who enjoy the more social side of marshalling, which is to get together as a group, enjoy each others company (?), perhaps enjoy a beer/wine/soft drink or two, maybe a meal or a BBQ, and generally relax after the days on-track action and discuss life, the universe, and everything!

Therefore, over the next few meetings, we would like to invite marshals at Donington to:

Stay overnight at the circuit, rather than return home. Donington has a dedicated area for marshals camping at club meetings, or use of the larger permanent camp site next door for larger / international meetings. There are showers and toilet blocks, as well as water and (maybe only if you're early at the circuit) electricity hook up.

or

Join us at the end of the day for a drink. Rather than use the Redgate Lodge, which supplies poor beer in plastic glasses with bad service at circuit prices, we move to the Bulls Head in Wilson, about 3-5 minutes drive from the circuit (or a 20min walk there, slightly more coming back for some reason ). The landlord there is most accomodating, and it is a much more pleasant experience. An excellent restaurant is available here, but not cheap and booking is recommended, especially when a big meeting's in town. To get to the Bull, leave the circuit at the main paddock gates and go straight down to the main road. Turn right, then almost immediately left (Opposite the Donington Park Hotel). This road carries on for about 1/2 a mile, then you go over a large bridge, followed by a sharp right bend. About 300 yards later the road forks - take the left fork. Carry on for about 300yards and the Bull is on the left, with parking available to the rear.

Usually someone is about on the campsite Friday nights for full weekend meetings, so we try and get a Friday night drink arranged. Either bring your own cooking gear, or the take-aways in Donington aren't a million miles away (and have been known to deliver to the circuit before now!). For special occasions the Bull is always a very good option.

Later in the year we will try and organise more social events and get-togethers for the Friday or Saturday nights of race weekends, and the BTCC Finale in September is usually worth booking Monday off for

So please, if you are a Donington regular, or visiting occasionally this year, please don't be shy to come up to us on the campsite or in the Bull and say hello (you'll recognise us at the Bull as the ones in orange, or blue Donington Rescue overalls, and at the campsite mine is the converted white LDV minibus camper).

Looking forward to seeing you soon,
Alan (+ other Bull regulars)
Old 24 Mar 2004, 00:23 (Ref:917254)   #2
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Thanks for the invite. I haven't sorted my season yet, but I expect to be there for the GTs and will look forward to seeing you in the pub.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:41 (Ref:917779)   #3
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Al, Steve and I always used to end our day in the pub but then the days got longer and money got shorter and then we got a cat who demands feeding at regular intervals and trips to the pub became a thing of the past. However, we will try to make it to the Bull a little more often this year.

I can recommend the Bull to anyone as it was my "local" for a year or so when I lived in Melbourne.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 12:52 (Ref:917800)   #4
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Though not one of the band of orange brothers and sisters I can heartily recommend the Bull too...excellent inn
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:01 (Ref:917817)   #5
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

And occasionally you even get freebie nibbles!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:19 (Ref:917857)   #6
Garry Holmes
Racer

Garry Holmes should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Giant Jenga
Old 24 Mar 2004, 13:48 (Ref:917922)   #7
Tracey
Racer

England
In front of a PC
Tracey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sheila - easy answer for the cat - a 36 hour revolving feeder, complete with ice pack to keep meat fresh.

Where is the electricity hook-ups, Alan?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 15:21 (Ref:918013)   #8
CookieMonster
Rookie

Wales
Manchester
CookieMonster should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Garry Holmes
Giant Jenga
I wish someone had told me about that before!!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 17:52 (Ref:918175)   #9
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
The Jenga is for special occasions, although usually anytime after 11.00pm qualifies!
Old 24 Mar 2004, 18:02 (Ref:918190)   #10
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Quote:
Originally posted by SkyRedButton
Where is the electricity hook-ups, Alan?
On the toilet block there are two water taps on the roadside (facing the main paddock). Above there there are two mains outlets with caravan site type connections. If you're lucky, someone might have a splitter to make double the number of outlets available.

On Donington Farm campsite it's not a problem as they are organised sites with dedicated electricity poles, although you have to pay to use them (even if the pitch is provided by the circuit).

(Theres a PM to you also SRB)

Al.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 19:15 (Ref:918264)   #11
adrian carlile
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
adrian carlile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Camping at donington

Sorry but the hook ups were removed last year, Al
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:09 (Ref:918433)   #12
Alan Green
Veteran

England
Doncaster
Shows what working abroad does for you, turn your back for one minute and it's all change.

Sorry for the duff info guys & girls. Cheap camping generators on ebay for under £100 though!

Al.

ps. welcome to 10/10ths at last Mr Carlile.
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:39 (Ref:918475)   #13
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now there's one for the club to ad to the list - electrical hook-ups in the marshals campsite would be great - certainly gains the approval of Mrs Woolley. I'm happy to pay for electricity, the farmhouse charge £2 per night, but it's helpful if there's provision. Curious as to why they were removed, though?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 22:42 (Ref:918478)   #14
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Sheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSheila M should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Adrian, welcome to 10/10ths. Did the photo's of Jim, me and the trophy turn out? Do I look presentable?
Old 24 Mar 2004, 23:42 (Ref:918558)   #15
Stevespurr
Veteran

Stevespurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
We usualy stop over in the warmer weather. Havebeen into Wilson once but it was a good evening.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 05:38 (Ref:918742)   #16
adrian carlile
Rookie

United Kingdom
North Lincs
adrian carlile should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yes as allways Sheila (creep creep) I may want to do the pit lane some time so how could I take a bad photo of you or Jim Ha Ha.
Old 25 Mar 2004, 19:59 (Ref:919399)   #17
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
Quote:
Originally posted by adrian carlile
I may want to do the pit lane some time
It'll have to be at Mallory then - Diane will kill you if you work Donington pit lane in a capacity other than IO
Old 25 Mar 2004, 19:59 (Ref:919403)   #18
Sheila M
Veteran

England
Burton-Upon-Trent
More to the point she'll kill ME for pinching her marshals!