Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:29 (Ref:1099242)   #1
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interesting Read on Chinese GP

Ted
Old 17 Sep 2004, 12:44 (Ref:1099258)   #2
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
"High-end tickets have sold relatively well since the start of ticket sales in March, while tickets for ordinary consumers have only a poor sales record.

"That shows that the sport lacks mass support," Jones said."

Nothing much new there then......
Old 17 Sep 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1099297)   #3
SKWei
Rookie

SKWei should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From the article: "To host an F1 tournament in China - whether it is accepted or not by a mass audience - is not important. The key lies in the fact that it will spur Shanghai's economy and cement its image as an international metropolis," Sun Gaoling, executive director of Beijing Xihong Auto Market Research Centre, commented.

This is a pretty much accurate description of the state of affairs, I think. At the same time, China's huge population means just a small proportion needs to be interested for it to be a hit.

When I tired for tickets at the start of the month, only one agent had tickets, and only for Saturday. It was easier to buy tickets overseas on a website than here, as the Chinese stocks were basically sold out.

The points about TV viewership is true. The commentators are THE WORST ON EARTH!! So no wonder people can't get into it. But things are much much better than when I first came to Beijing in 2000. I watched one race in an F1 themed bar. The owner came up to me (the only customer) half way through the race, and asked why he couldn;'t understand the sport? Where was the fun?

A lot of foreign business are cautious of getting their fingers burned with Chinese partners. Jordan did with their Chinese website. First they had the CCTV Shanghai deal. No money changed hands. Then CCTV's egos wanted a more successful team, so Williams aggreed, again for no money, to carry the logo. The ads for the race in Shanghai, even back in April, were all over the place and naturally featured a Williams from the angle that made the logo visible.
Meanwhile CCTV egos are fuming that their "ad" can't be seen on TV?
But in spite of all this, there is enough money here to make it a success commercially, and enough fans to make it a hit with petrol-heads

Last edited by SKWei; 17 Sep 2004 at 13:24.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 09:43 (Ref:1101767)   #4
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wow,facinating to hear from someone on the ground there!
This forum has members from all over but china is still very much an unknown to most of us.

Absolutally amazing what you said about the f1 themed bar!!
You're the only one there-so why did he have the bar themed for f1?? Was the owner giving it a try maybe(first time?)?
Old 20 Sep 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1101814)   #5
SKWei
Rookie

That bar was dodgy... I was the only customer, and I suspect the only other people there were the owners and prostitutes. It was in the heart of the embassy/expat district, and I haven't been there since so I don't know if it's still running. They had very impressive decoration I remember, huge Ferrari flags, and the entrance was a huge mural of the Stewart, in the impressionistic sort of style that I think was from an HSBC ad at the time.

But there are plenty of F1 fans in Beijing. A Welsh friend of mine hosts a club, where students go to his flat and watch the races on TV. There was usually a chorus of insults for the brutal commentator, Mr. Sha Tong (watch out for someone goofing around behind Martin Brindle's pitwalk, nearly getting run over; that'll be our Sha Tong).
Most fans here are female. We can't really figure out why. Schumi is popular with people who have seen only the odd race. Most fans like JPM and Kimi (blonde), while Jordan did get good name recognition with the public from their early involvement.

Oh what the heck, I'll plug myself: I cover F1 for China Radio International, though it is a lonely chore. I'll be in Shanghai for the race, and while I don't promise any super-stuff, as it is my first race as a correspondant, at least we should have some exclusive stuff. I probably shouldn't advertise, so I won't give the url, unless you ask

Last edited by SKWei; 20 Sep 2004 at 10:57.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 18:49 (Ref:1102278)   #6
Jaxs
Racer

Jaxs has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Can I ask a simple question, how much tobacco advertising will be present at the GP?
Old 20 Sep 2004, 19:39 (Ref:1102322)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It'll be full liveries on the cars, drivers and trackside.
Old 20 Sep 2004, 20:35 (Ref:1102386)   #8
djinvicta
Veteran

Wales
Mojacar Southern Spain
djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!djinvicta has a real shot at the podium!
SKWei url please and you keep promoting F1; well done!
Old 20 Sep 2004, 21:22 (Ref:1102430)   #9
SKWei
Rookie

Oh you've twisted my arm
http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/sports/index.htm is our sports homepage, and our Chinese GP feature should be appearing in a few days time. Do please let me know what you would like to see appear on it and I'll do my best!
If you're not familiar with China Radio International, be forewarned that it is a government organ promoting China: That's our particular slant as a media organisation.
The tobacco thing is a big stepdown. Months back the organisers were adamant that, in accordance with Chinese law, there would be no tobacco advertising allowed. But the power of F1 prevailed.
Old 21 Sep 2004, 10:39 (Ref:1102746)   #10
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like f1 is doing it's 'all take/no give' thing.
Australia was similar.A couple of years ago tabbaco advertising was banned completely here but all of a sudden the f1 race gets an exemption...talk about suck-ups
Old 22 Sep 2004, 08:26 (Ref:1103578)   #11
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
The Chinese government is interested in spreading the message as loudly, clearly and unequivocally as possible: "We are shedding our communist past, already have to a large extent, please come and provide us more gloabalised capitalism.".

The government will fund it a great deal as long as it still serves this purpose effectively (kinda like the manufacturers in a sense).