Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 23 Dec 2002, 14:58 (Ref:456173)   #1
TS2
Rookie

TS2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
motorsport-events.com

Hi guys.
Have done a few track days with Edward Moore at motorsport-events.com this year. They run a fantastic event, and plan to run 30 days next year on Airfields accross the country.

Have a look at www.motorsport-events.com
Old 10 Mar 2003, 07:24 (Ref:530981)   #2
Peter Young
Rookie

Peter Young should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi,
I have to second that! These guys are are absolutely first class. Ed, Natasha and their crew really know how to create the right atmosphere and environment for a great day.
Old 15 Mar 2003, 18:43 (Ref:537211)   #3
DarrellB
Racer

United Kingdom
Wiltshire
DarrellB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You need to hurry as the events tend to fill up very early. Best bet is the website to contact them. They usually run at airfields at Hullavington near Chippenham, Bassingbourn near Royston Herts and Kemble in Gloucs. They are about to launch a new venue but it's location is currently top secret.
Old 16 Mar 2003, 18:35 (Ref:538234)   #4
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did one of their events at kemble. This was the first time I had done an airfield day, and to be honest, I didn't enjoy it.
A circuit created from traffic cones has many disadvantages, such as: It can be difficult to pick out the 'line' through the cones; the track changes as the odd cone gets knocked over; the cones leave red and white marks down the side of your car. This is the only damage I've ever done at a track day; if you use an old car, as I do, they 'move around' more than a modern car. Traffic cone organisors seem to hate this, and the moment they see your car 'move', they haul you in. Basically, they're terrified of having to spend an hour re-laying their cones; Didn't enjoy the 'mickey mouse' feel to belting around traffic cones.

In future I'll stick to circuits. They cost more, though not necessarily much more by shopping around, and for my money you can't beat the 'flow' of a circuit.
Old 3 Apr 2003, 13:52 (Ref:557286)   #5
Mark Benson
Rookie

Mark Benson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While I fully agree that airfield circuits will never be as good as driving round a purpose built track, many people don't feel confident enough to take their pride and joy somewhere where there is armco and gravel.
I run trackdays for the S2000 owners club, I also race and have been trying to get interest in 'circuit' trackdays for some time now, mainly so I can combine learning circuits with my trackday activities - the best showing I've had on a circuit has been 5 cars. Everytime I do an airfield day (with Motorsport-Events usually) I get 15 cars easily.

I have found Ed and Natasha to be friendly, helpful and also very safety oriented while still giving people the chance to explore their cars limits.
However they do look after the novices and if someone is giving them a hard time, perhaps by 'moving' around them and making their time out on the airfield less enjoyable, they will pull them up for it.

I don't think airfield days are really suitable for the more experienced driver, however for the driver who wants to look after their car and isn't 100% sure they will keep it on the grey stuff all the time, they seem to be ideal.
Old 4 Apr 2003, 16:39 (Ref:558554)   #6
Heebeegeetee
Veteran

Heebeegeetee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is, the armco is normally well away from the track, and the gravel is supposed to stop you anyway. In my few trackdays, I've never been anywhere near either, and I haven't seen anyone else do so. Most of the cars at Kemble were sporting red and white marks on their flanks, however.
If you really cherish your car, I really think you'll do more harm amongst cones. If the car in front flicks a cone at you, you'll hit it.

I did a day at Castle Combe once. Did 118 miles on the track. I can state as fact there wasn't a single mark on any car, even the Z3 that span out at speed at Camp(?) corner. Not so at Kemble.

No criticism of anyone here, mind. I'm just stating my observations. Each to his own, and all that.