Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Mar 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1545489)   #1
Nismo
Racer

Nismo is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Jacques Villeneuve

He drove a solid race till his engine blew.. lets hope he maintains this and strings up a good solid result this year and extract the max from his bmw.

NH was very scrappy... a pattern for the season??

Well done JV, keep it up
Old 12 Mar 2006, 21:44 (Ref:1545498)   #2
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes JV, keep it up and do better !
i can wait for the next race to begin.
and i hope BMW will bring a better car and a better Engine for JV.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 21:53 (Ref:1545512)   #3
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
NH - first race of season - let him settle in
Old 12 Mar 2006, 22:13 (Ref:1545534)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
The JV website continues to debate the decision to limit testing and not taking the opportunity to test at Bahrain. Essentially the BMW team shot themselves in the foot and seemed to lull themselves into a false sense of reliability. It will be a busy week for the BMW-Sauber team. I hope they sort it out. Jacques deserves better.
Old 12 Mar 2006, 22:14 (Ref:1545538)   #5
mstar
Racer

mstar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i must admit i wasn't following JV's race how did he do from his low grid position?????
Old 12 Mar 2006, 22:18 (Ref:1545545)   #6
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
retired after 28 laps
Old 13 Mar 2006, 00:04 (Ref:1545618)   #7
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not bad, but you can't really say, he retired too early.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 00:17 (Ref:1545623)   #8
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is true that he retired too early, but he had Kimi behind him for several (up to a dozen, IIRC) laps, and he was easily keeping up with Fisico's damaged Renault. He had Quick Nick and Nico behind him, so had his car been reliable, it is conceivable he would have been fighting it out for the lower reaches of the points-scoring positions. Encouragingly, unlike last year's first race of the season, he wasn't a mobile roadblock and he seemed to be driving very well, from the brief snippets of coverage that ITV was giving him.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:25 (Ref:1545681)   #9
Raglanparade
Veteran

Australia
Raglanparade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
JV was doing better then NH, and driving solidly.

But seeing smoke billowing out the back of a white Villeneave brought back memories of the old BAR days..
Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:54 (Ref:1545687)   #10
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I thought that exiting the drivers seat in the flaming car was the quickest I had seen him move in a long time

DKGandBH
Old 13 Mar 2006, 02:56 (Ref:1545688)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very promising signs from JV - he was quite good all weekend. And he looked quite sharp in testing next to Nick. More of it I say ......
Old 13 Mar 2006, 06:10 (Ref:1545729)   #12
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstar
i must admit i wasn't following JV's race how did he do from his low grid position?????
He passed Heidfeld for 10th on lap one. He held Raikkonen at bay for quite a while but eventually was passed by the far superior McLaren machine. He passed Coulthard for 9th and then advanced to 8th when Fisichella fell out. He was in 8th when his engine expired. He was in position to finish in 7th, at least, due to Barichello's falling from contention shortly after Villeneuve's engine failed. He may have even finished 6th. He had kept up with Webber until his engine failed. All in all, he showed great pace in a relatively weak machine and drove a great tactically. How many drivers could have given Raikkonen--in arguably the best car on the track--that much trouble???
Old 13 Mar 2006, 07:05 (Ref:1545747)   #13
Nado
Racer

Australia
Melbourne VIC
Nado should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Although I wish the Sauber guys the best, the BMW engine blowing up was the highlight of the race for me.

Nick does seem a little more aggressive than last year didn't he?
Old 13 Mar 2006, 09:20 (Ref:1545843)   #14
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
It is good to see Villeneuve show something again, but let's hope he isn't plagued by bad reliability.

Where is Louis B????
Old 13 Mar 2006, 10:39 (Ref:1546989)   #15
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo

NH was very scrappy... a pattern for the season??
A pattern for the season? after one race?

Gimme a break!

JV retired, Barricello lost thid gear, Kimi came third, will they all be patterns for the season?

Heidfeld collided at the first corner with Rosberg and then spent the race playing catch up, hence the "scrappiness"

You can't make any predictions for any drivers season based on one race
Old 13 Mar 2006, 11:03 (Ref:1547009)   #16
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A JV tread that is not closed down almost instantly, how did this happen?

Joking aside, I thought he had a good race and wish him well for the rest of the year. Nobody likes seeing a former champ get thrashed.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:15 (Ref:1547057)   #17
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JV drove a solid but not particularly notable race until the Big Bang.

He was outqualified by Nick and was slower off the line , only to pass Nick around the outside in the snag at the first corner.

Heidfeld started on the dirty side of the track. His biggest mistake was not trying to move over to the clean line before the first corner. Once he hit the apex, he was caught behind a line of cars that had nearly come to a stop and was hit by Rosberg and spun.
He made it up to seventh at one point and drove solidly though seemed to fade toward the end.

Verdict: The car shows some promise but the team still has a lot of work to do.
Neither driver is hopeless, and if history is anything to go on, are capable of winning given a competitive car. But they won't be challeging for Podia anytime soon.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 12:36 (Ref:1547079)   #18
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's hard to get a good comparison of Nick and JV as their races were so very differnet, but JV certainly fared better agaisnt a recovering team-mate than Webber, and it's a shame his engine failed, as he could've feasibly scored a point. He hasn't exactly answered his critics yet, but if he carries on like this he will.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:09 (Ref:1547110)   #19
QuickSilver
Racer

QuickSilver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe rossi
Heidfeld collided at the first corner with Rosberg
Hey Joe.

I'm really picking nits here, but IMHO Rosberg collided with (rear-ended actually) Heidfeld. I know it's just semantics but your comment makes it sound like Heidfeld was at fault and from what I saw, he wasn't.

On another note, when I watched the start, I got the BMWs confused and I thought that was JV getting spun by Nico. My first thought was @*^$% , here we go again ... JV either hitting or being hit by everybody else. Mercifully I was wrong.
-
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:21 (Ref:1547122)   #20
joe rossi
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
joe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridjoe rossi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickSilver
Hey Joe.

I'm really picking nits here, but IMHO Rosberg collided with (rear-ended actually) Heidfeld. I know it's just semantics but your comment makes it sound like Heidfeld was at fault and from what I saw, he wasn't.

-
I couldn't remember the actual event...just that those two came together. I did actually assume it was the new boys fault!

My comment was meant to address the original poster claiming that Heidfelds "scrappy" race was somehow indicative of the rest of this season, which is ridiculous.

I thought JV was doing ok, certainly nothing to exalt him for, but way better than the start of last year. Where's Louis to bask in the good JV press??
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:24 (Ref:1547125)   #21
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It will never happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein
A JV tread that is not closed down almost instantly, how did this happen?

Joking aside, I thought he had a good race and wish him well for the rest of the year. Nobody likes seeing a former champ get thrashed.
We'll only close JV's thread when he starts to winning races.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:28 (Ref:1547131)   #22
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thanh Ha
Although I wish the Sauber guys the best, the BMW engine blowing up was the highlight of the race for me.
That's a sad statement, if I ever heard one. Not to mention conflicting.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:46 (Ref:1547142)   #23
Hein
Racer

South Africa
Kareedouw, Eastern Cape, South Africa
Hein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
We'll only close JV's thread when he starts to winning races.
Not anytime soon then
Old 13 Mar 2006, 13:51 (Ref:1547146)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hein
Not anytime soon then
Hilarious!!

Not.
Old 13 Mar 2006, 17:26 (Ref:1547282)   #25
Kirk
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
It's hard to get a good comparison of Nick and JV as their races were so very differnet, but JV certainly fared better agaisnt a recovering team-mate than Webber, and it's a shame his engine failed, as he could've feasibly scored a point. He hasn't exactly answered his critics yet, but if he carries on like this he will.
That's a fair assessment Boots. JV is quite happy with this years Bimmer and he has for the most part kept his enthusiasm low key. Its been a long time coming but I think JV feels that he can finally drive this car. I have no doubt that he will acquit himself well this year; but as I have stated in other threads, I am not so sure about MT as a leader and his rather conservative beginning. That approach may not bode well with JV's (career) aspirations to retain an F1 seat for '07. I hope I am wrong and the BMW team shed that conservativism, to make some real progress this year, rather than next year and beyond, (and without JV).

Nick is sitting pretty. He can afford to go along with whatever path MT leads them on, however JV may be feel compelled to push it, to take some substancial risks on the track to promote himself. To try and distinguish himself amongst the doldrums of a maturing team that goes largely unnoticed. We'll see how it unfolds.