Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:07 (Ref:1123821)   #1
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Mika, is DTM enough?

Since the other thread on Mika's testing with Benz was moved, I thought I'd start one here with a slghtly different flavour. That being, if MH is successful in his comeback, will DTM be satisfying enough? Or will he sooner (he ain't getting any younger) than later turn back to F1 and seek out a ride? .. or at least a test? I think it would only be natural that he would wish to do so, if he accounts himself well in DTM. Having said that however, MH did appear thoroughly burnt out when he retired and I must admit (at the time) I could not see him returning. But things change; after that rest and some time back in competiton he could still be fast. Any thoughts?
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:12 (Ref:1123823)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well if you look really deep maybe, just maybe, this is relevant to F1. the other thread, for those interested still remains on 10-Tenths! Click Here.

My answer to the question of
Quote:
will he sooner (he ain't getting any younger) than later turn back to F1 and seek out a ride?...

...Any thoughts?
Any thoughts? Yes.
Will he seek out an F1 ride? No.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:16 (Ref:1123828)   #3
minirda
Racer

minirda should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems hard to return to F1 at (t)his age, even for former WDC's (look at how Jacques is doing right now) Testing? Why would he?
He might well be better of in DTM. In a competetive car and let Mercedes youngsters get the McLaren test role, like Paffett or Albers, then this is only possible if DelaRosa will leave the team. Don't see that happening, IMQHO.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:20 (Ref:1123831)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

I'm not so sure Adam, especially if he has some success and F1 comes knocking. If I recall correctly, his family was the stated reason for his retiring in the 1st place, and if true, he seems to have sorted that out.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:24 (Ref:1123833)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
OK. I'll clarify my No.

If F1 comes knocking? Is it going to for Mika. For it to be even a consideration for Mika it would have to be a top team (the very top too). Is that likely? I go with No.

Does he genuinely want that level of commitment again? The highest level of commitment (I mean no disrespect to the DTM, as he will still have to try very hard to compete). However I go with No again here.

Last edited by Adam43; 13 Oct 2004 at 23:24.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:27 (Ref:1123835)   #6
Kirk
Veteran

Fair enough. One thing's for certain, his driving will not go unnoticed.
Old 13 Oct 2004, 23:30 (Ref:1123836)   #7
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Certainly.

I relish seeing him race again. One of the most exciting drivers we've had in the last ten years.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 06:35 (Ref:1123949)   #8
Kempi
Veteran

Germany
Düsseldorf, Germany
Kempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKempi should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, Mika isn't getting younger by driving DTM, is he?

A more probable way than going back up to F1 (which I would imagine to be quite hard after driving Tourers), would be to go sportscar racing. Seeing Mika in LeMans would sure be a nice sight. Hey, maybe even at some point with TGF, so they can get one of those last important white spots on their resumes removed, a win in the 24h.

Okay, that is most probably extremely wishful thinking since neither Mercedes nor Ferrari to my knowledge are thinking about going for an overall win at LeMans. Then again, Ferrari have that Mazza built inhouse. Hmmm.

Oh, btt, no I don't think Mika will move back (I refuse to say up, different serieses, both toplevel) into F1 once he started tintop racing.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 08:09 (Ref:1123975)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Racing in the DTM is much more of a weekend job, with far less testing, promotion, strategy meetings and the rest than Formula 1.

After a decade of that kind of drudgery Mika can be forgiven for having been fed up of it, especially as thew results weere no longer flowing (although I honestly feel that he, and Damon, had the potential to be as good as ever - they simply had other things on their minds).

F1 has moved on a lot in only 3 years, and Mika wouldn't be a sensible choice for a top team, even if he was fast in a test - how would he do if things go tougher, and would be be willing/able to give as much time as (say) Davidson or Doornbos?
Old 14 Oct 2004, 08:53 (Ref:1124027)   #10
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Yes
Old 14 Oct 2004, 10:16 (Ref:1124085)   #11
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More incisive comment there from raul_iulian.

On the subject, I don't see Mika in F1 again. Comparing to DTM commitment is much higher, safety is lower, there's much more world travelling.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1124152)   #12
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I think the DTM would provide the adrenaline rush and speed fix that Mika obviously craves without having to get involved with all the bull that goes with F1. The DTM cars are fantastic and must really have that 'fun' factor for the drivers, it's got to be the better option fo Mika surely?
Old 14 Oct 2004, 11:19 (Ref:1124168)   #13
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And the fact that it's a German - based series would suit him as well. But I don't much like the idea of Ekstrom and Albers beating Mika! The cars are definitely fast enough for him, only 1.5 -2 secs of F3 cars at most tracks. Now if only they'd come back to Donington Park.

Last edited by Tweed; 14 Oct 2004 at 11:21.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 12:37 (Ref:1124239)   #14
Rich R
Veteran

United Kingdom
dudley uk
Rich R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
plus the german rounds of the dtm get huge crowds, was it something around 100,000 at hockenheim for the finale. and the cars do look like they are fun to drive.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:27 (Ref:1124271)   #15
Paddy_NL
Racer

Netherlands
Rotterdam, NL
Paddy_NL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, next year could be the finale for DTM once again with Opel pulling out at the end of the year and Mercedes concidering the same. Shame, DTM converted to an Audi-Cup
Old 14 Oct 2004, 13:37 (Ref:1124278)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
That's the worst-case scenario Paddy. People can run the cars on a privateer basis the way Abt-Sportsline do with the Audis, and BMW are considering entering.
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:32 (Ref:1124325)   #17
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
But I don't much like the idea of Ekstrom beating Mika!
I do!
Old 14 Oct 2004, 14:40 (Ref:1124333)   #18
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thought you might!
Old 14 Oct 2004, 16:17 (Ref:1124416)   #19
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't see Mika coming back to F1 either. While it is an entertaining thought I agree with Adam, he wouldn't bite unless it was Ferrari or its equivalent. And there really is no equivalent at the moment. Plus, the loss of one year has been rough on JV, it would be even rougher for Mika. It will be good fun to watch him in DTM though.

Although I second the thought of him making a run a sportscars. The LMES season coupled with Le Mans would be perfect for him. Five races total (six if he does Sebring) for the year with a limited amount of testing. He'd be brilliant in the Audi R8. I can see it now!