Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:08 (Ref:1712830)   #1
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Timo Glock to replace Vettel at BMW for remainder of the season

Grandprix.com tells us that Timo Glock will replace Vettel at BMW as BMW don't want to advance a Red Bull-contract driver's career.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns17454.html

My favourite memory of Timo was at the 2005 Australian Grand Prix when, waiting for the drivers to come out of the pit paddock for autographs, Timo exited and was mobbed by people asking for his autograph - only for those people to think that he was actually Pantano. He kept telling us that he wasn't Giorgio, but we weren't listening!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1712853)   #2
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Seems like a good plan for BMW; they get a driver with racing experience to help in their Friday practice sessions. Also for Red Bull, seeing as Vettel is no longer getting experience at the expense of BMW, they may be tempted to sell him contract, which may see Vettel ending up at BMW in the long term.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:30 (Ref:1712900)   #3
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, I assume BMW didn't think it was wise to further the career of a driver who's not even contracted with them. Timo Glock's name rings a bell, let's hope he can impress.
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 18 Sep 2006, 13:45 (Ref:1712920)   #4
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
he scored a point in his first race at montreal last year, right?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:04 (Ref:1712939)   #5
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1
he scored a point in his first race at montreal last year, right?
It was the '04 Canadian Grand Prix that Glock made his debut and after a few disqualifications got a points finish.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1712960)   #6
koper
Veteran

Poland
Tychy(PL)
koper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkoper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have already posted that

http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88199
Old 18 Sep 2006, 14:54 (Ref:1712961)   #7
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At first the rumor was that he would replace Wurz as test driver at Williams, to me this option seemed way better for him then BMW. If he ever wants to race in F1 again I don't think it's BMW who are going to be able to grant him a seat, they have Kubica who is really young and Heidfeld still has a lot of good years left in him. It seems like Glock is doomed to follow the same path as Wurz.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 15:45 (Ref:1712982)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Heidfeld is on borrowed time if he performs like he has this season. That is a man who has felt far too comfortable within his team methinks.

Glock could well be in the seat for 2008.

He is a great little racer and has shown this in GP2, Champcar and F1. A true talent. Let's see him racing!
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:10 (Ref:1713003)   #9
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yep Glock is the man. Scored for Jordan on his debut at Montreal. Did very well in Champ Car last year and showed great race craft and also nearly won the CCWS race at Montreal.
I'm sure he would be good and not let a team think that was pointless if he drives for them. I'm sure he wouldn't waste the opportunity.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1713007)   #10
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Its nice to see Glock in...he is a seriously good driver....He was superb at Montreal on debut eventhough he was lucky to score when the Williams's and Toyota's were Dq'ed...I hope he does well....
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:21 (Ref:1713014)   #11
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Heidfeld is on borrowed time if he performs like he has this season. That is a man who has felt far too comfortable within his team methinks.
That's hardly fair. He destroyed JV's career with his solid point-scoring, and hasn't been outperformed by Kubica so far despite losing a great grid posiiton thanks to Fisichella's carelessness in Turkey. To me Nick's been one of the top 6-8 drivers this year.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:24 (Ref:1713018)   #12
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I felt he was doing OK, but when Jacques left he seemed to step up a lot.

FWIW I think he is now driving well again and if he keeps it up he'll be OK.

But for a while there, it was like watching him at Sauber in 2003 and that is lame.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:27 (Ref:1713023)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Who ?
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:31 (Ref:1713027)   #14
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

TGF BMW edition.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1713030)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TLGF to be more exact...
Old 18 Sep 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1713184)   #16
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
So much for the theory that once a driver leaves F1 for CC, there is no chance he'll return. Glock's experience is now quite well rounded and if he shows pace in his return (and I'm sure he will), he may just find a regular seat before long.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 20:19 (Ref:1713194)   #17
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
So much for the theory that once a driver leaves F1 for CC, there is no chance he'll return. Glock's experience is now quite well rounded and if he shows pace in his return (and I'm sure he will), he may just find a regular seat before long.
The interesting thing is whether it was Glock's GP2 or Champ Car performances that attracted BMW's attention. I suspect that Glock must have had some doubts as to the viability of using Champ Car as a shop window for his talents given that he gave up on his opportunities in America this year.
Old 18 Sep 2006, 20:20 (Ref:1713195)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

There is a key difference here Kirk.

Glock went to Champcar for one season and came back to Europe for GP2.

So technically, this is a different approach. Though I know what you are getting at!
Old 19 Sep 2006, 11:23 (Ref:1713647)   #19
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
That's hardly fair. He destroyed JV's career with his solid point-scoring, and hasn't been outperformed by Kubica so far despite losing a great grid posiiton thanks to Fisichella's carelessness in Turkey. To me Nick's been one of the top 6-8 drivers this year.
*sigh*

Do you really want to provoke another argument, Boots?
Old 19 Sep 2006, 13:32 (Ref:1713808)   #20
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

I'm listening very carefully to where this one might be leading to...
Old 19 Sep 2006, 15:58 (Ref:1713920)   #21
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
I must have been watching different races!
Old 19 Sep 2006, 17:04 (Ref:1713972)   #22
Molotov
Rookie

Canada
Canada
Molotov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I'm still trying to figure out what this has to do with the topic other then another mindless JV bash.

I really hope Glock can land a BMW drive soon because I think he is a pretty good driver, he did good in a bad car in Champ Car, won Rookie of the year just infront of Andrew Ranger(who really should be heading to GP2 instead of wasting his time in Champ Car btw.) and did good in GP2. I'd hate to see him turn in another Wurz.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 17:23 (Ref:1713981)   #23
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tell me what you saw. I reallise that Jacques had poor reliability, but Nick also lost out on a 5th place in Malaysia, and only got caught up (innocently) in the USGP carnage due to an engine failure in qualifying.

He was outperformed by Kubica in Italy, the car/driver package just didn't seem fast early on for whatever reason, but Robert wasn't impressive in the race in Turkey. Hungary was a strong drive by both, and I can't really criticise Robert for two early offs in a wet debut situation on an unfamiliar track.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 17:40 (Ref:1713990)   #24
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Well, this thread is not about JV and though there's something related about him, we must avoid discuss it here. If anyone try to continue this matter, we're going to close this thread.
Old 19 Sep 2006, 21:09 (Ref:1714135)   #25
mp356a
Veteran

United States
SE PA USA
mp356a should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope this turns into a fulltime job for Glock. He was terrific to watch in CART and I've no doubt he's got oodles of talent.