Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 9 May 2003, 09:50 (Ref:594323)   #1
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Webber's the Man ( Jag's confirmed)

Following earlier reports that the Jaguar Racing Formula One team were trying to continue their current arrangement with number one driver Mark Webber, the Milton Keynes squad today confirmed that the young Aussie driver has reached an agreement to extend his current contract for two further years – taking the partnership through to the end of the 2005 season.

"I hope that, by making this announcement so early in the season, people will realise just how serious both our intentions are to firmly establish Jaguar's place in Formula One,” said Mark. “We know it's not going to happen overnight, so I'm very happy that we've made this commitment now and can continue the hard work we've already started this year. For me personally and as a driver, I'm very excited by the prospect of being involved in what is a long-term objective, and to see our goals being realised as we make further progress over the next two years.”

As reported at F1-Live

This is the best news for both Mark & Jaguar I truly think Jag can and will the a force in the coming years and with one (The ) Hottest drivers in F1 locked in until 2005 great things can only come

to me this is great news

Old 9 May 2003, 10:01 (Ref:594334)   #2
Amaroo Park
Veteran

Australia
New South Wales
Amaroo Park should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thats good news. Now all we need is another Aussie on the grid
Old 9 May 2003, 10:03 (Ref:594337)   #3
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
Lets hope Ford don't pull the plug on Jag this season then.
Old 9 May 2003, 10:06 (Ref:594339)   #4
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great news for Jag, bad news for Webber - Jaguar have to provide him with a great car or he's screwed.
Old 9 May 2003, 10:15 (Ref:594354)   #5
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He's totally screwed if he doesn't get that car into the top 5or6 in the WDC by then

As good as he undoubtedly is, he has to keep getting it home in the popints, bravery and heroics only go so far, unfortunately.

To Didcot ASAP

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport
Old 9 May 2003, 10:29 (Ref:594366)   #6
Mark Webber
Veteran

Australia
Australia
Mark Webber has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you guys kill me this years jag is 100% on last year and mark had no input on design or anything the car is quick enough and that is the biggest step by years end I will have humbles pie cooked a baked ready for U
Old 9 May 2003, 10:43 (Ref:594382)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Mark Webber is right about Mark Webber. Jag must be one of the most improved teams this season.

However, if he continues to impresss like he did last year, and so far this year - will a top 3 team want him within the next 2 seasons?
Old 9 May 2003, 10:46 (Ref:594387)   #8
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, i think i was a bit dissapointed that he did this. I think Mark is a fabulous driver, but he really needs the car to be under him.
Hopefully there is a clause which will allow him to leave.

But if he stays on board, i could imagine the team to improve even more, as it has this year. and again, if Mark is still with the team, they will have a good driver, giving good results (Highly likely), and Ford will be unlikely to pull the plug.
Old 9 May 2003, 10:49 (Ref:594390)   #9
903cc
Racer

Luxembourg
Luxembourg - Via Singapore & Australia
903cc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark will be at a prime age in 2005. So this is probably a good grounding. I expect him to go to a championship winning team after this stint if Jaguar are not there already
Old 9 May 2003, 10:58 (Ref:594399)   #10
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Good on Mark - its nice to see a team reward good work for a change.

It may be a moot point though as there is no guarantee there will be a Jaguar to drive in 2 year's time.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 9 May 2003, 11:22 (Ref:594415)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
O me miserum

I guess a McLaren or Williams drive is out for next year then
Old 9 May 2003, 12:49 (Ref:594498)   #12
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One year too long on that contract, Mark. Bad move.
Old 9 May 2003, 12:51 (Ref:594501)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Indeed, I'm not convinced that Jagaur will still be around by 2006. I guess there probably won't be anyone in F1 who they haven't fired by then.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:00 (Ref:594516)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
He now has job security, which is always important. Now all Jaguar have to do is give him the car for the job.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:02 (Ref:594520)   #15
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mark and Flav shouldve held out until the end of the year to get more money or weigh their options. There were rumors that Webber would be transplanted to Renault (Flavs team) or get a race seat somewhere else. Why sign a 2 year extension so early in his current contract, to please Jaguar rather then hold out and **** them off? Either way he better continue to impress people.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:03 (Ref:594523)   #16
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmm. Wonder if Jag would hire Fisichella at the end of the year. That really would prove they're serious. (Though I'd prefer him staying at Jordan and Jordan getting a decent engine deal.)
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:06 (Ref:594529)   #17
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ooohhh... I just hope that Jaguar will be up to Mark's potential. Otherwise he can waste precious years in F1.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:10 (Ref:594536)   #18
williamsf1
Veteran

williamsf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Now all Jaguar have to do is pick up JV, and we will see this car in the top 3 in 2004! they need 2 top line drivers to make it a serious team.... and the 2 styles of JV and Mark would work very well.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:29 (Ref:594564)   #19
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
One year too long on that contract, Mark. Bad move.
I agree, but that term was agreed when he 1st went to Jaguar.

It's not that big a problem though. Ferrari, McLaren (and maybe Frank) would pay the exit fee if they think he is worth it. I'm also sure this is what Jaguar had in mind when they signed him and Antonio. 3 years? Jag are'nt planning 3 years ahead. If either or both were too slow, a perfomance clause got rid of them. If one was really quick, turn them into cash.

They are using a recycled Jordan plan.
Old 9 May 2003, 13:45 (Ref:594582)   #20
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi good on ya mark, and JAG- he is one of the talents to surface in recent years and investing in him will only benefit FOrd I mean Jaguar. He will podium soon in that Racing Green thingy, then in a few years time he will win.
Old 9 May 2003, 14:16 (Ref:594612)   #21
Daf_Loz
Rookie

Daf_Loz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mmm, I guess Mark had little choice in it, I would guess Jaguar had an option on him anyway for a couple of years and are just excersizing that option before any contracts are disputed.

With the hype surrounding him at the moment I would think he would've preferred to keep his options open unless major money was talked about but if they had an option money would already be agreed for subsequent years.
Old 9 May 2003, 14:20 (Ref:594616)   #22
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was not impressed by Webber at all in 2002 - only having Yoong as a guide, but he has impressed me big time this year. This is terrible for him. Somebody called Jag a comedy sideshow and I have to agree. Get away from that and get into a McLaren.
Old 9 May 2003, 16:10 (Ref:594713)   #23
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Fantastic news! Regardless of what some people think, or want, I don't think Jaguar will be going anywhere for a while. Signing Webber, a very quick, intelligent and professional driver is just the
latest installment in the evolution of Jaguar into a serious racing team. Getting rid of the self-serving egotists like Lauda and Irvine was the first step. With the hiring of Hogan, Purnell and Pitchforth Jaguar are on their way to becoming a self-sustaining racing team who won't need to suckle on the teet of Ford to survive. This years car is also vastly improved and a solid mid-field runner, and this is a car by Jag's admission is a safe car. Which would lead one to believe that there is more potential to be had. So despite what the nay-sayers have to say, I believe all the signs point to Jag making a serious push to the front.
As for a second driver to push Webber, as Pizzonia doesn't appear up to the job, I would like to see either Fisi or Heidfeld. Both would be good team-mates, Fisi would probably be the quicker of the two
but he might want to get into a race winning car sooner than Jag can provide one. Heidfeld needs to get out of Sauber and Jaguar would be a good place for him to land, and he definitley would be quick enough
to push Webber. Villeneuve I think would be a poor fit for Jag, (a) his personality would probably be unsettling to the team dynamic,and (b) I think he would be better suited to a team that has a chance of winning as opposed to Jag who are in a similiar postion as BAR. JV needs to move up not over.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 9 May 2003, 19:13 (Ref:594851)   #24
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OMG - I'm going to be complaining about that damned team management and their cat's lack of reliability for another two years! eeck, this is not good.

Well I been saying all along that they need to build team continuity so I s'pose this is what they're doing. At least they've been paying attention to whats been happening at McMerc and Ferrari regarding team stability but I can't see them challenging for the top three WCC inside five years - Ferarri, McMerc, Renault and Williams are just too strong.

If Webber is hoping to move up into a top 3 team in 2006 he not only has the current crop of drivers to beat, but there is always 'the next big thing' type of rookie to compete against (examples: Raikkonen, Montoya and Alonso went straight into top seats)

well Mark - it's all before you now! Take a page out of the Schumacher story and work with the engineers. I just hope Jag listens ...
Old 9 May 2003, 21:00 (Ref:594934)   #25
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While i'd like to see Mark with a top team who's to say by the end of his contract Jaguar aren't near the front of the field, they already have the pace all they need is the reliability & if worse comes to worse he will still have plenty of time on his side come 2006.