Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:11 (Ref:1444310)   #1
mjolnir
Racer

Australia
Sydney
mjolnir should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No more pit wall celebrations

As part of its package for 2006, the World Motor Sport council has revealed that pit wall celebrations will effectively be banned next season.
In a footnote to today's statement the WMSC announced that as an additional safety measure for 2006, "team personnel and spectators will be banned from climbing on the pit wall fencing during or after races."

Pitpass

WHAT?! are you serious? It's Halloween, not April Fools...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:18 (Ref:1444319)   #2
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes it's serious.

But while the intent is to improve safety, somebody obviously forgot that they can make the fencing "stronger" and safer, rather than take people off it.

Or at least, have a small area just ahead of the pit entry for pit members to cheer the winning guy.

Another move that kills an aspect of the sporting atmosphere in F1. Too many rules for it's own good.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:21 (Ref:1444322)   #3
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sensible move.

It's really the FIA covering its back, lest someone should be killed
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:25 (Ref:1444324)   #4
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Sensible move.

So why bother letting them drive F1 cars in the first place?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:31 (Ref:1444335)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Being killed crashing an F1 car is an "acceptable" risk.

Being killed falling off a pitwall is pathetic.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:35 (Ref:1444340)   #6
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Denmark
Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Oh, purrlllleeeease... How many people have fallen off the pitwall and died so far?? Maybe they should install a pelican crossing to stop the cars coming down pitlane when someone wants to cross from garage to the prat perch and vice versa...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:36 (Ref:1444341)   #7
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
This is rather sad.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:44 (Ref:1444351)   #8
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh dear.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:49 (Ref:1444355)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I really can't see much of a risk here - teams have been doing thsi for years, it's happened at virtually every racetrack currently used, and has never caused any problems. In any case, how much woudlr einforcing the fences cost? F1 desperately needs to convey personality, and that often comes from spontaneous celebration. How do you think people would react to Helio Castroneves' fence-climbing victory routine, ro some of Rossi's victory celebrations?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:52 (Ref:1444359)   #10
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
pc pc pc lets take any sense of any kind of risk out of every aspect of life and live our happy little lives as metronomic little clones...for gods sakes what is wrong with the world that ranks with the trees being cut down by local councils so that kids cant climb them and fall out of them
Old 26 Oct 2005, 19:55 (Ref:1444362)   #11
PaulSands
Veteran

England
Grantham
PaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPaulSands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I hear Max is taking control of the England and Wales Cricket Board when he finally retires from the FIA and is going to introduce sponge balls just in case anybody gets hurt
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:32 (Ref:1444407)   #12
Spudgun
Race Official
Veteran

England
Reading, UK
Spudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSpudgun should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ludicrous. How many years has this been going on in all classes of motorsport at all the tracks in the world? Why decide something like this now?

The world is going absolutely bonkers. What next? Having to clearly label which end the front of the car is to deny any liability should someone inadvertantly be run over in the pitlane?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:33 (Ref:1444409)   #13
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Agreed, this just goes to show that the people who make the rules just want to squeeze the life and personality out of the sport.
Track invasion anyone? Oh wait, thats banned too.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 20:35 (Ref:1444410)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
classic...one step forward, two steps back
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:04 (Ref:1444438)   #15
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Nintendo has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
one up for safety, three back for formula 1
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:13 (Ref:1444455)   #16
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Don't tell the FIA, but there are people who jump off of the banks and run onto the track during the race....or am I missing something.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:16 (Ref:1444463)   #17
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Yeah, i neber thought of that. Remember the merc employee or the dodgy priest.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:17 (Ref:1444469)   #18
REALIST
Racer

REALIST has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Sensible move.

Maybe they should ban hugging and back slapping too, it's only a matter of time before someone gets hurt. I fear for Flavio when he hugs Alonso while he's still got his crash helmet on! I wonder if anyone ever had a finger crushed shaking hands? Whatever, stop that as well!!

A serious side to this is that the people who are making these ridiculous rules, and I don't stop at Motorsport here, were, in the main, themselves brought up in a time when the rules didn't exist (And, as they say, it never did them any harm!).

When the younger generations, who know nothing else, start making the rules, where will we be? Maybe racing itself will be banned?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:27 (Ref:1444482)   #19
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
What a complete and utter nonsense.

I'd like to see the WSC/FIA enforce that.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:32 (Ref:1444489)   #20
Nintendo
Racer

Ireland
Dublin
Soon people will be tazered for smiling. People become briefcases.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 21:38 (Ref:1444500)   #21
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see that there's still only one person who thinks this is a good idea.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1444530)   #22
Stone Man
Rookie

Stone Man should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
I see that there's still only one person who thinks this is a good idea.
Don't make the mistake that this was posted by a person. I think more of a Human Resource Focus Group.
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:12 (Ref:1444536)   #23
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Come on, I agree it was not safe when for example in the 60s a driver won and the front straight was crowded with all sorts of people, but people hanging from a fence?

A fence that is supposed to prevent possible debris from crashing cars can't hold a few guys?

Next thing will be lowering the podiums to ground level in case someone gets injured when the drivers give the champagne bottle to their mechanics...
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:21 (Ref:1444546)   #24
Hip Priest
Racer

Hip Priest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How come people aren't allowed to have accidents anymore?
Old 26 Oct 2005, 22:39 (Ref:1444556)   #25
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
muppets.

why is motorsport being neutralised...