Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:26 (Ref:140037)   #1
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Oh God, not again...

Oh my God, Burti has just suffered a terrible crash with Irvine.
I am terribley afraid...this doesn't look good.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:38 (Ref:140041)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well, someone from the Prost team said that he was "ok." But, I'm not going to assume anything until it is official.

That was a very scary accident indeed. Just hope he's ok.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:39 (Ref:140043)   #3
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
First words are that he is conscious. The front of the car looked reasonabley intact. The major concern then is potential brain or neck injuries from the rapid deceleration of the impact.

Latest word that Eddie said Burti is conscious as well.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:40 (Ref:140044)   #4
Suzy
Retired
Veteran

Suzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm so frightened. I've known Luciano since F3 and I just cannot stop shaking. The front of the car seems to have held up quite well, but the tyres are the bits that are scaring me.

I am seeing the drivers looking so distressed at the moment (I'm looking at Trulli as I write this) and it's really bothering me.

I have to say that my admiration for Eddie Irvine has increased even further. Watching him doing so much to try and save Luciano is an indication that, although Eddie's comments may indicate otherwise, he does care for the other drivers.

Sorry, I'm so upset.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:42 (Ref:140046)   #5
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Relax, Burti is OK, they just said on TV.

This is certainly echoed by my comments yesterday, about blanchimant being more dangerous that Eau Rouge.

I think this spells the end for Spa Francochamps.

Last edited by Sodemo; 2 Sep 2001 at 12:46.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 12:58 (Ref:140049)   #6
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, they were saying all this stuff when Senna was killed, too, and none of it turned out to be true ...

I am sure Prost is thinking about that day as well as about his driver. Imagine what that must be like - just like the other time, he is away from the track and can't go to see or help out or know what is going on ... I would be willing to bet he will now give up the team and retire.

I am praying that Burti is going to survive this. Memo Gidley was not hurt much in a terrible Champ Car wreck and perhaps Burti will be so blessed as well.

And I am also praying for Eddie Irvine, who must be feeling like hell right now too.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 15:27 (Ref:140125)   #7
Crash and Burn
Racer

Crash and Burn should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They have annouced that Burti is fine, with just concussion. It even sounds like he might race in the next race.

Just goes to show how strong the cars are - pitty about the tyre wall.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 15:40 (Ref:140140)   #8
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
)

It was a terrifying accident indeed...straight into the barriers at full speed! And having the car being buried by the tires!

Thankfully, he's okay. The tremendous safety of an F1 car is clear for all to see after Michael's 3 accidents in the past month as well as Burti's 2 HUGE accidents in 3 races... well done to the designers and engineers behind them...

It does look terribly bad when i see Burti's head squeezed to the side of the cockpit, pinned by his own wheel. The tethers work alright, but it seem to have swung the wheel to Burti...and for a moment, i was hoping its not a repeat of Senna...

i have a tiny soft spot for Eddie...probably due to his stint with Ferrari... and although i do sometimes question his words (though i believe they generally make MUCH sense, esp abt DC ) i am hugely impressed to see him scramble out of his car the moment it stop in the gravel, and dash to the aid of the safety marshals to pull the tyre barriers. It is a genuine concern for a colleague and ex-team mate, and he ought to be praised...

And its heart warming to see how worried Ralf and Michael, among some other drivers, regarding Burti's safety. I was however spooked when i witness one driver smiling with his team boss while waiting for Burti to be treated trackside...
Old 2 Sep 2001, 16:09 (Ref:140169)   #9
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't believe he got away with that. I was fearing the worst for a moment as i saw eddie scrambling to remove the tyres and the way the car was completely buried. I think this seasons regulations on safety were absolutely crucial in saving Luciano. Lets hope he recovers as quickly as possible.... 4 huge accidents (melbourne, monaco, hochenheim and this) in a year is more than enough for anyone let alone a rookie.
Old 2 Sep 2001, 16:12 (Ref:140172)   #10
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
BTW i forgot to day that i think that wheel tethers need to be reviewed after a situation like this.