Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Jul 2002, 12:00 (Ref:346225)   #1
F1Babe
Rookie

F1Babe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Berger to leave BMW?

Gerhard Berger will decide during the winter whether he should step down from his role as BMW's motorsport director.

"The job of a motorsport director can't be for the rest of my life," he told Munich tabloid AZ. "In the winter, I'll make the decision if I will extend my contract with BMW, or if this is the right time to quit."

Asked if he would move to another team, he said: "I definitely can't imagine taking another job on the F1 scene."
Old 30 Jul 2002, 12:28 (Ref:346246)   #2
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Weird... The BMW F1 program's been going along very well, I can't imagine there are forces trying to push him out. The only thing I can figure is that he just wants to enjoy retirement.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 12:35 (Ref:346254)   #3
av8rirl
Veteran

Ireland
Ireland
av8rirl should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its not like he's that old! Maybe he is just fed up of what F1 has now turned into?
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:24 (Ref:346302)   #4
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I would say.... Good riddance!
Williams BMW doesnt need and will do better without Berger.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 13:32 (Ref:346309)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I thought Berger has done a good job with all BMWs motorsport activities over the past few years.

I'm also glad that he's still involved in F1. He's an all round top bloke.

But if he does leave, I'm sure he won't be short of things to occupy himself.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 14:09 (Ref:346355)   #6
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It may help BMW's non-F1 racing activities to have a head of motorsport who isn't so focused on Williams.

At least I, as a sportscar fan, hope so. I really miss the V12LMR - the most beautiful sportscar since the Ferrari 333SP came out. I still don't understand why they parked it after 2000.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Jul 2002, 15:46 (Ref:346426)   #7
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
I would say.... Good riddance!
Williams BMW doesnt need and will do better without Berger.
Whys that then Freud ???....i always thought berger was a positive part of BMW's sucess .

Do you know something that i dont ?..
Old 30 Jul 2002, 16:39 (Ref:346483)   #8
freud
Veteran

Sato San,

The exact role that Berger plays in the Williams BMW set-up is sort of in the grey. He's not an engine expert so I dont expect him to give advice to Patrick Head or Mario Theissen about Engine Revs. He just doesnt seem to fit in the Williams BMW package. I did hear sometime ago that Patrick Head was a little annoyed with his comments that "JPM should join Ferrari". Certainly Head gives more respect to JPM than Ralf, which annoys Berger a bit (for some unknown reasons). Basically I have found him to be acting nothing more than a mouthpeice of Ralf Schumacher. He cant improve the car, he cant improve Williams image, he cant improve williams in the PR department... If BMW needs him then they can pay him for their motorsport activities but no one would miss him in the pits. Patrick Head is just fed up of him...

Last edited by freud; 30 Jul 2002 at 16:44.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 16:51 (Ref:346493)   #9
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by freud
\

He cant improve the car, he cant improve Williams image, he cant improve williams in the PR department... Patrick Head is just fed up of him...
Another classic analysis.

Last edited by Mania; 30 Jul 2002 at 16:52.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 16:52 (Ref:346495)   #10
freud
Veteran

Thanks for the usual 'Maniac' post!

Last edited by freud; 30 Jul 2002 at 16:53.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 16:58 (Ref:346500)   #11
Mania
Veteran

You're welcome. Care to share how you came up with that "mind-blowing critical analysis" or can you once again - not back up your words..

Last edited by Mania; 30 Jul 2002 at 16:58.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 17:03 (Ref:346505)   #12
freud
Veteran

On the other hand, can you give me any back-up on why Williams would want Gerhard Berger? Can you give me one statement of Patrick Head or Sir Williams with words in praise of Berger? Can you give me one statement of Mario Theissen which praises Berger? Now dont tell me that Berger starts the BMW engines of JPM and Ralf before the race!

Last edited by freud; 30 Jul 2002 at 17:04.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 17:12 (Ref:346512)   #13
Mania
Veteran

When BMW sent Gerhard to Williams, Frank Williams publicly stated in an interview that he was delighted to have Gerhard join the team - that he was too expensive as a driver - but now BMW was sending him to the team for free. Remember, Gerhard may not have the engineering background that Mario does but he is still held in high regard by BMW - which is why they sent him to the team in the first place.

No, he doesent start engines for the boys - and you dont have to cry about him being partial towards Ralf because he isent - in fact I think he's probably the most impartial of the lot - with Patrick being Montoya's god father - we need someone to at least keep some balance in the team!

Gerhard has also contributed with the drivers as well - remember in 2000 - he was the one who took Button around each and every circuit to help him learn the tracks - as an ex-driver he probably contributes a lot to the team - stuff that we as fans probably dont even know of.

A lot of teams would die to have Gerhard with them - Williams are lucky to have him and I hope he extends his deal with BMW.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 17:27 (Ref:346521)   #14
freud
Veteran

Oh yeah thanks for reminder about that one statement when Berger joined.... he's-here-so-lets-deal-with-him sort of stuff.

As far as his imapct on Williams BMW... we'll see when he leaves. I expect Williams to improve in the next season.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 17:30 (Ref:346525)   #15
MiniMe
Racer

MiniMe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sure that you guys have seen this, but being a rookie, I'm not sure it this was posted. Here's a great interview called Grilled Berger that Montoya with Gerhard did a few weeks ago:

http://www.itv-f1.com/features/featuresf1_story/11246

Includes gems such as:

JPM: How good did you consider yourself as a driver?

GB: Until I met Senna I thought I was very good.

JPM: What do you think of Michael Schumacher?

GB: He was a pain in the arse when he arrived in F1! Ayrton and I decided that we didn't like him - maybe it was because he didn't show any respect, a bit like you nowadays.
Old 30 Jul 2002, 18:23 (Ref:346547)   #16
Mackmot
Veteran

United Kingdom
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Mackmot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Gerhard does more than just help williams, he is in charge of all BMW motorsport, which means that he also has the responsibilty of organising the BMW championships and helping with GTs and Touring Cars.
And as a manager I would not expect him to have anything to do with the general running of engines/cars he is there to make sure it all runs smoothly on the budget he has been given. In that respect where has he gone wrong??
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:09 (Ref:346571)   #17
Sato san
Veteran

United Kingdom
Sato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSato san should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Freud , thanks for explaining yourself ,

i cant say i agree with you , but thats half the beauty of this place isnt it .
Old 30 Jul 2002, 19:19 (Ref:346580)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mackmot, I think you are spot on.

Berger is to BMW, what Frank Williams is to Williams. In the same way that Theissen is to BMW what Head is to Williams. One is the boss who sets the long term goals and the other is the tech boss, who talks about engine revs ect...

In this respect Berger has done a great job. He doesn't seem to be under any pressure to leave, he is just considering what is best for himself (and maybe BMW a bit). Which is fair enough. However, I hope he stays.