Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:03 (Ref:1145409)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Button vs MotoGP & Speedboat

Last night I watched "MotoSport Asia" in ESPN "MotoSport Asia". In one of the segments of this news motorsport was race between F1 car (Jenson Button/BAR), motoGP and SpeedBoat.

Anybody knew about this program?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:21 (Ref:1145422)   #2
Cee
Rookie

Cee should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No I didn't know about the program.
I do know that you can find a segment of it at www.f1racing.nl
Then in the left menu click on video.
The text explaining the video's is Dutch, but the actual video is in English.
Enjoy
Old 5 Nov 2004, 10:51 (Ref:1145434)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
This was on Fifth gear a month or so ago, and it wasn't a Moto GP bike, it was a British Superbike ridden by Michael Rutter iirc.

The speedboat had to have a rolling start and went across the line (where the car and bike started) at 100 mph, would have been fairer imo if all 3 went across the line at 100 mph and started the race then, but doesn't matter, the boat lost everytime

The bike won the first "race" because Jensons clutch went, but the BAR won the other 2 races convincingly doing a standing quarter in about 9 seconds (10 seconds for the bike and 13 seconds for the boat).

The most impressive thing for me was the way the BAR pulled away from the bike once they both got upto about 100 mph, incredible, they were sort of level pegging up till then.

Anyone get the chance to view it, do so, very interesting
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:29 (Ref:1145455)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Somebody once told me that a F1 engine is very low on torque but high on BHP. Your description would appear to bear that out Mr V.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:36 (Ref:1145459)   #5
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I assume if it had been a MotoGP bike the F1 car wouldn't have had such an advantage?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:39 (Ref:1145460)   #6
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
The standard roadbike wouldn't have disgraced itself either,it would have quite easily beaten the boat!
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:44 (Ref:1145464)   #7
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
I assume if it had been a MotoGP bike the F1 car wouldn't have had such an advantage?
The MOTOGP bikes at the Valencia GP were hitting 200mph(320kph) along it's short main straight,at Barcelona and Mugello they are even faster!
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:45 (Ref:1145465)   #8
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard on BBC MotoGP commentary that going from 5th to 6th gear on a MotoGP bike is like 2nd to 3rd on a GSX-1000. Surely the F1 car would have been beaten.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 11:51 (Ref:1145466)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
At the Mugello racetrack the MOTOGP bikes have a much lower exit speed from the final corner(no downforce)than an F1 car but reach a higher top speed at the end of the straight!
Old 5 Nov 2004, 12:04 (Ref:1145477)   #10
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Tweed
Might have been closer as they were doing a standing quarter. The proper test of course would have been round a track, where the car will lap a circuit like Barcelona about 25 seconds quicker than the bike, would have been a bit difficult trying to get the boat round it though
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1145510)   #11
DSM
Veteran

DSM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Somebody once told me that a F1 engine is very low on torque but high on BHP. Your description would appear to bear that out Mr V.

More likely a matter of traction, I would think.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 13:52 (Ref:1145542)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
It would be fairer on the boat if they had a rematch on water. It hasn't exactly got the best surface to run on.

Wasn't it Alan Jones who had a go in a pwer boat and described it as "like driving an F1 across a ploughed field"?
Old 5 Nov 2004, 14:25 (Ref:1145561)   #13
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was really interesting - before it started, I'd have assumed that the car would have left the bike at the start because it had better grip, but the the gap would have stopped widening as the speed went up, and the car's aero started to drag. Instead, it was the exact opposite - they were level off the start, but the faster they went, the faster the gap widened.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 16:09 (Ref:1145605)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The car is heavier of course.
It requires a greater force to get it going, but once it goes it flies.
A bike has far less air resistance, hence the higher top speed, but I doubt it approaches the F1 car in either power or torque.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1145614)   #15
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I saw it happen on Eurosport ages a go.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 17:27 (Ref:1145653)   #16
Pondo
Rookie

Pondo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by pirenzo
The car is heavier of course.
It requires a greater force to get it going, but once it goes it flies.
A bike has far less air resistance, hence the higher top speed, but I doubt it approaches the F1 car in either power or torque.
The car also has a lot more rubber on the ground and traction control. I bet they have fairly similar similar power to weight ratios, but the car would have a better specific power output than Rutter's superbike. Honda could probably do an RCV with almost the same specific output as their F1 engine, I'd guess.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 19:30 (Ref:1145728)   #17
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Hondas MOTOGP engines have around 250bhp,but they never blow up unlike their F1 engines,the problem is getting all that power down through the rear tyre, many MOTOGP engines are actually run in a detuned state hence the greater reliability.
Old 5 Nov 2004, 23:55 (Ref:1145885)   #18
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If anyone want's to see the Fith Gear program, it's from the episode aired on October 11th 2004, and you can download it here: http://gear.viper007bond.com/downloads.php
Old 8 Nov 2004, 00:24 (Ref:1147103)   #19
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
At the Australian Grand Prix, they used to run a similar "experiment" around the track, by comparing a Formula One car against a V8 Supercar and a BMW 316i (IIRC), giving the Beemer the greatest head-start (I think, maybe up to a minute), then the V8 Supercar, then the F1 car (a BMW-WilliamsF1 piloted by Marc Gene). The Beemer always ran last, but a couple of times, the V8 completed the lap slightly ahead of the F1 car.

I think also in the Feb '04 edition of F1 racing, they put the McLaren up against the Eurofighter, but I don't remember what happened because it wasn't an interesting article to me at the time.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 11:31 (Ref:1147378)   #20
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In that article they didn't race each other. There was that Schumacher race with an Eurofighter, and also in 2000 Patrick Carpentier in a Reynard-Ford (when CART cars had a lot more power) beat a F14.

At Montmeló the Moto GP bikes are able to be up to 10-15 kph quicker than an F1 car. But of course, if you set up an F1 to go straight, with minimal downforce and all, it'll probably end up being quicker than the bike. Surely if F1 racetracks had no turns cars would probably be close to 380-390 kph.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 11:49 (Ref:1147392)   #21
D_Marshall
Racer

Sudan
North West, England
D_Marshall should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
The bike won the first "race" because Jensons clutch went, but the BAR won the other 2 races convincingly doing a standing quarter in about 9 seconds (10 seconds for the bike and 13 seconds for the boat).
Surley they were faster than that. My Formula Ford 1600 did the quater mile in 13.3 at Brighton Speed Trials this year. I watched the programme but don't recall any of the times.

Also i seem to remember the reason for the car and bike being close for the first part of the race was because the car was struggling to use all it's power without spinning it's wheels but when it got to a stage where full throttle could be used it flew.

Edited for typos

Last edited by D_Marshall; 8 Nov 2004 at 11:51.
Old 11 Nov 2004, 10:55 (Ref:1150239)   #22
Mattracer
Veteran

Mattracer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Dixie Flatline
At the Australian Grand Prix, they used to run a similar "experiment" around the track, by comparing a Formula One car against a V8 Supercar and a BMW 316i (IIRC), giving the Beemer the greatest head-start (I think, maybe up to a minute), then the V8 Supercar, then the F1 car (a BMW-WilliamsF1 piloted by Marc Gene). The Beemer always ran last, but a couple of times, the V8 completed the lap slightly ahead of the F1 car.

I think also in the Feb '04 edition of F1 racing, they put the McLaren up against the Eurofighter, but I don't remember what happened because it wasn't an interesting article to me at the time.
Interesting at Bathurst they had a three-way comparison between a current Commodore SS, Brocks HDT A9X Torana and a current HRT VY Commodore. The SS was quicker than the A9X and of course the HRT Commodore was quicker than both but the gains in road car development were plainly obvious. The A9X still looked pretty as a picture around Mt Panorama though...

The comparison between a Porsche road car, Honda road car and Mclaren-Honda with Senna around Estoril on the second "Inside Track" video was great viewing!

Last edited by Mattracer; 11 Nov 2004 at 10:58.

Permanent circuits- the life blood of motorsport