Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 4 May 2003, 21:54 (Ref:589574)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault this year - deja vu of Benetton back in the Schumacher days?

For instance, Alonso was able to do as many laps as Schumacher, despite only having 5.8 secs of fuel to Schumacher's 6.8 seconds. I recall the same thing happening in Brazil in 1994, where Schumacher's pitstop took something like 2 seconds less than Senna's (I think Schumacher's was 7 seconds, whereas Senna's was 9 seconds), yet was able to actually stay out longer than Senna.

Benetton's 1994 car was also supposed to be very good aerodynamically (at least in Schumacher's hands), just like the Renault car this year.

What do you think?
Old 4 May 2003, 22:16 (Ref:589595)   #2
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Because since the 1980s, after Lotus fell to midfield status, the only two teams to challenge the big three teams have been Renault in the early 1980s and Benetton in the Schumacher days, and now Benetton is Renault, I say it is only natural that Renault steps up.
Old 4 May 2003, 22:59 (Ref:589632)   #3
Raven
Veteran

England
Raven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Benetton were cheating with the fuel rig in 94.
Old 4 May 2003, 23:26 (Ref:589649)   #4
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Benetton/Renault have always been pretty slick with their pit work...the 5.8 sec stop was pretty awesome.

But still...they`re going to take some pain when they get to high speed tracks like Montreal and Monza.
Old 4 May 2003, 23:48 (Ref:589655)   #5
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault did a great job and deserved to impress as they did. They're my tip for the A1 Ring, definately.
Old 5 May 2003, 01:04 (Ref:589683)   #6
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not mine for the A1-Ring...it's full throttle there for 70% of the circuit, more than any other track, and that's not where the Renault is strong. Monaco is where they will WIN.
Old 5 May 2003, 01:13 (Ref:589688)   #7
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Like I said in another thread, they are a threat for sure - especially with the extra 20 hp the new engine will give them in Austria.
Old 5 May 2003, 02:21 (Ref:589718)   #8
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Renault have certainly got the capacity and technological know-how to challenge the big three, and with a driver like Alonso, they are surely capable of upsetting the apple-cart.
Old 5 May 2003, 02:31 (Ref:589721)   #9
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
wow I am really impressed with Renault...I really hope Villeneve can get some reliability with his car and impress them...Renault is the team of the future! I have heard Trulli may be out next season...Villeneuve and Renault just make sense to me! However if Alonso is their man it probably wouldn't be good to put JV in there and upset things. However Renault have always liked Jacques...and before you all start with salery talk...JV would drive for peanuts if given an opportunity to win!
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 5 May 2003, 03:21 (Ref:589730)   #10
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
If you had to put money on un upset win, Alonso in Monaco or Hungry would be a very good place to start.

I could'nt believe how much better that renault was through the corners than everyone else.
Old 5 May 2003, 04:16 (Ref:589740)   #11
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, Fish, Lotus was still going fairly strong when Renault were pulling the plug on their own team. Admittedly, nearly all of that was Senna's doing.
Old 5 May 2003, 07:02 (Ref:589800)   #12
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've no doubt that Renault will be a winner at some stage this year but if they're to do it on a high speed circuit they badly need some extra horse power to challenge the Ferrari's.
Old 5 May 2003, 07:13 (Ref:589802)   #13
TeddyG
Veteran

Bermuda
Currently New Zealand
TeddyG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Renault look to take Williams place and next year I really believe they will challenge for the title...I had no idea they were this competitive. All they need is a little more grunt.
Doesn't it seem sad that drivers like Fisichella, Coultard, Barrichello, and Ralf all have secure seats in F1, despite having had race winning cars for many more seasons than Jacques, yet failing to chalk up as many wins as he (let alone a WDC) that it is Jacques who doesn't have a drive in F1??? Sad indeed.
Old 5 May 2003, 07:21 (Ref:589808)   #14
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The comparison is good, at least from engine's point of view. The Ford V8, like today's Renault, were not the most powerful engine on grid, but very driveable and certainly better than other V10 regarding fuel consumption.
Old 5 May 2003, 07:45 (Ref:589824)   #15
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While benetton were cheating with their fuel rig in '94,there's no reason to think they are again.Remember we don't know how much fuel they had in the tank allready on the weekend.They may have just brought him in to suit a gap in the traffic.
Old 6 May 2003, 14:55 (Ref:591073)   #16
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish the Lord!
F1 does need more competition!