Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 2 Oct 2003, 19:13 (Ref:738395)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
CART on Monster Garage

This should be cool.....

INDIANAPOLIS (October 1, 2003) – Lines of fluid coming from beneath a CART Champ Car is the first sign of a broken part of some sort and usually means that someone’s race has just come to an ignominious end.

Now, thanks to Jesse James and his band of renegade car builders on the Discovery Channel mega-hit series Monster Garage, a line of fluid pouring from one particular Champ Car could signify the beginning of a new career path for what was once a 750hp turbocharged racing machine.

James and his Monster Garage crew have accepted the challenge of turning a Champ Car into a working street-line painter for an upcoming installment of the popular program, which is the second-highest rated show of all cable series among males 18-49. The crew, which will include current Champ Car team owner and potential series owner Paul Gentilozzi, has a limited amount of time and funds to transform the car into a working street painter according to the show’s premise.

“I think its kinda cool to take something that would be a flower pot for the rest of its life and turn it into something loud and fast that works,” said James.

Under the rules of the show the team can spend no more than $3,000 cash for parts and Jesse and his crew have only one week to design, build and roll out the machine. The Champ Car episode, which is broadcast Monday nights from 8-9 p.m. Eastern Time, is slated to air in November.

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 2 Oct 2003 at 19:14.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 20:00 (Ref:738430)   #2
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As much as I hate it for being a complete waste of time and money with a WWF flair, I love it for the marketing exposure for C^RT.

Hopefully, they get the time to say ChampCar and C^RT 5 zillion times and they paint a road course as opposed to an oval so it doesn't end up being free advertizing for that other open wheel series.

What's next? 200mph Battlebots.
Old 2 Oct 2003, 20:03 (Ref:738435)   #3
Andy Roberts
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
Andy Roberts should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wish we could get this in the UK as I bet it would be great to watch!

Last edited by Andy Roberts; 2 Oct 2003 at 20:03.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 04:10 (Ref:738737)   #4
brightline
Racer

United States
Temple Terrace, FL
brightline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sorry Flatspot but I disagree. Monster Garage is on of the highest rated cable tv shows and hits CART's target market of young to middle age males like myself who watch shows like monster garage, monster house and american chopper everyweek. The cost of an old Reynard (probably one of the show chassis' that tours the country) is so much less than the "free" advertising they will be getting, remember this episode will be rerun numerous times, in my opinion way cheaper and more effective than CBS or Speed buy time.

CART needs to make absolutely sure that they put a logo on every inch of the car, inside the cockpit, underneath the bodywork (it will end up on the floor at some point upside down). Way to go CART for getting excellent TV coverage I'll be sure to set the VCR when I find out the exact date.

I bet they won Jesse James over on the idea when he ran in the Toyota Celebrity race at Long Beach.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 04:18 (Ref:738746)   #5
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Monster garage has a lot of that appeals to me, but ultimately I can't bare to sit through an entire episode because of aformentioned WWF stuff.

Minigunning a RX-7 while cool didn't help either.
Old 3 Oct 2003, 15:16 (Ref:739486)   #6
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
So is it a Rocketsports car they're working on?

keke
Old 3 Oct 2003, 18:52 (Ref:739687)   #7
Ben 93 325is
Racer

Ben 93 325is should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Flatspot
What's next? 200mph Battlebots.
God willing!!
Old 4 Oct 2003, 04:40 (Ref:740023)   #8
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually brightline I'm not so sure we really disagree.

Quote:
Originally posted by brightline
Monster Garage is on of the highest rated cable tv shows and hits CART's target market of young to middle age males like myself who watch shows like monster garage, monster house and american chopper everyweek. The cost of an old Reynard (probably one of
Quote:
I love it for the marketing exposure for C^RT.
Quote:
Originally posted by brightline
CART needs to make absolutely sure that they put a logo on every inch of the car, inside the cockpit, underneath the bodywork (it will end up on the floor at some point upside down). Way to go CART for getting excellent TV coverage I'll be sure to set t
Quote:
Hopefully, they get the time to say ChampCar and C^RT 5 zillion times and they paint a road course as opposed to an oval so it doesn't end up being free advertizing for that other open wheel series.

Same-same, only you are much more well spoken than I on these points.

The waste of time and money thing just comes from my personal issue of taking a beautiful racing car, even if it is obsolete, and cutting it up and putting hoses all over it etc. Maybe I'm just jealous that I can't have the car in my personal collection as opposed to Jesse wrecking it (as a racecar). I have to agree it is a great way to spend marketing dollars. I, like Snrub, never seem to be able to get through a whole episode though.

I have to admit it will be interesting to see if they pick up on the ground effects aspect of the car and get the paint to go down instead of being sucked up. I wonder how fast they will drive it.

I forgot the winky on the Battlebot comment. Just having a little fun.

Any word on if they will have anyone from C^RT on as a guest?

Last edited by Flatspot; 4 Oct 2003 at 04:47.
Old 4 Oct 2003, 05:02 (Ref:740030)   #9
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if I can provide a slightly more optimistic view Flatspot, by doing this, they are giving Cart exposure which could help the series grow, expand and stay alive. All of these things will in the long run, create more old cars which could potentially find their way in to your collection....plus with more available, the price would be less