Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Feb 2004, 14:54 (Ref:872045)   #1
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Toca Race Driver 2

I've recently heard about the sequal to Toca Race Driver 1 was coming out, I was looking forward to getting it but i've since heard it's only for the XBOX and the PC, is it likely that it'll be brought out for PS2?

The content of the game sounds really good with an even wider range of Championships being included, like FFord cars, Ice Racing cars and Trucks, I hope Codemasters produce a version for the PS2 sooner or later.

www.codemasters.co.uk/tocaracedriver2/
Old 12 Feb 2004, 15:25 (Ref:872077)   #2
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
I've just emailed them to try and find out, i'll let you all know what the answer is, just in case there is anyone else interested in having TRD2 for the PS2.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 18:10 (Ref:872209)   #3
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think its out later in hte year on PS2.

Then again I may buy an XBOX for this and project Gotham.

My only worry about TOCA 2 is that it will be two arcady.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:09 (Ref:872270)   #4
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Xbox exclusive unfortunately. I bought one when I heard about this game actually and with PGR2 it really is worth the cash. They are pretty much giving them away at the moment.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:12 (Ref:872273)   #5
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
MichaelH should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, it's Xbox exclusive. Codemasters have recently made the 'box their #1 development format, and comparing the PS2/Xbox versions of the original Race Driver it makes sense.

Can't wait though. Just a shame the 2003 DTM season will be playable just as the new rules come into effect in the real world...
Old 12 Feb 2004, 19:20 (Ref:872282)   #6
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
Yeah, it's Xbox exclusive. Codemasters have recently made the 'box their #1 development format, and comparing the PS2/Xbox versions of the original Race Driver it makes sense.

Can't wait though. Just a shame the 2003 DTM season will be playable just as the new rules come into effect in the real world...
These exclusive deals tend to be for 6-12 months, before it is allowed on another format. This is the most likely scenario rather than XBOX being the No.1 priority for Codemasters.

Anyway Codemasters and the like will probably be already starting development on PS3/XBOX2 games.
Old 12 Feb 2004, 23:23 (Ref:872567)   #7
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
nope, I read an article concering Colin McRae 4 where the developers were slagging off the PS2 and strongly hinting that they would not release future titles on the machine because it restricted what they were able to acheive with the games.

I'd be very surprised if it ever made it to the PS2.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 19:23 (Ref:873494)   #8
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
TOCA Race Driver 2 is exclusive to X-Box for 6 months only, then it will be released on PS2.

This was confirmed ages ago and still holds true.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 19:55 (Ref:873510)   #9
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Got a source Knowlesy? Everything I've read has stated the complete opposite.
Old 13 Feb 2004, 20:27 (Ref:873536)   #10
JAG
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by MichaelH
nope, I read an article concering Colin McRae 4 where the developers were slagging off the PS2 and strongly hinting that they would not release future titles on the machine because it restricted what they were able to acheive with the games.

I'd be very surprised if it ever made it to the PS2.
I don't want to get into a PS2 is better than Xbox debate, but you have to realise the PS2 is by far the biggest selling console in the world, and will be the No.1 priority for every console developer/publisher.

YOu have to take into account the fact that the PS2 has been out now for what, 4-5 years, and is due for replacement in the next 12-18 months.

Most new major games will now be develped for PS3 and XBOX2.

As for the power of the PS2, well it has always been tricky to develop for, but GT4 is by far the best looking racing game on any console or PC.

Last edited by JAG; 13 Feb 2004 at 20:32.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 13:26 (Ref:874115)   #11
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
anyone got any screenshots?
Old 14 Feb 2004, 13:50 (Ref:874124)   #12
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
why is it exclusive to XBOX? XBOX is ****!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 15:33 (Ref:874176)   #13
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I used to think that, then I actually bought one! As a development platform it's far superior, the PS2 just can't cope with what the Xbox can without cutting corners.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 15:35 (Ref:874177)   #14
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
alesi95, you can get all the info you want here: http://www.codemasters.co.uk/tocaracedriver2/
Old 14 Feb 2004, 18:03 (Ref:874242)   #15
JAG
Veteran

England
All current generations of console are very closely matched.

Its only when the next generation machines come out that we will see significant improvements.

The next gen consoles are going to be many, many times more powerful than current machines and should produce true photorealistic graphics.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 18:25 (Ref:874254)   #16
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems to be real problem for PS2, when they translate PC articles for a consoles: Max Payne 2 and Mafia look horrible and jerky on PS2.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 14 Feb 2004, 18:38 (Ref:874255)   #17
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
...but run like a dream on the Xbox. Don't get me wrong, I get a great deal of use out of my PS2, but for multi platform games I'll take the Xbox version every time as it just looks and runs so much better.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 20:42 (Ref:874302)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Damon
I used to think that, then I actually bought one! As a development platform it's far superior, the PS2 just can't cope with what the Xbox can without cutting corners.
X-Box doesn't look like it will reach its full potential though. Can you honestly say that a game as visually astonishing as Gran Turismo 3 has appeared on X-Box.

I'll be getting Race Driver 2 on X-Box though, it will be better looking although it will have slightly less features than the PS2 version (BAH!).

There is definitely a PS2 version coming out six months after the X-Box version Damon, it's still appearing in PS2 magazines and all that. Not that I care to be honest.....
Old 14 Feb 2004, 21:05 (Ref:874317)   #19
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
I get OPS2M and PSW every month and it has not appeared in either. All the Xbox mags I have read have said it's an Xbox exclusive and even the official website (link above) says it's only appearing on PC and Xbox. Also, when you consider extra features, it was the Xbox version that had the extra's in Race Driver 1. Sorry man, but it's not coming to PS2 .

You're right on GT3 (and even more so with GT4) however, no other racing game looks anything like as good.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 21:25 (Ref:874332)   #20
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Well, I haven't bought a mag for a while.Race Driver1 had extra features on X-Box because it came out much later

X-box version will be better anyway!
Old 14 Feb 2004, 23:12 (Ref:874389)   #21
JAG
Veteran

England
'Exclusive' does not mean forever. It is exclusive for a period of time.

Like Sony with the Grand Theft Auto and MGS series, Microsoft have paid Codemasters a fee for exclusivity for a 6 month period.

As for all format games, the selling point of any console are its exclusive games, ie Gran Turismo, Mario etc. that will never appear on any other console. The XBOX is lacking in this department.

Sure it has slightly better looking versions of all format games, but due to them, usually, being cover versions of the PS2 original, they do not take full advantage of the XBOX.

You can see from GT4 what can be achieved when a developer concentrates all there resources on one console, with the backing of Sony.

Finally I think it is a little unfair to compare the latest PC games to there PS2 versions. The PS2 has afterall been around for 5 years now. For the first 3 years of its life nothing on the PC could match it.

For the next generation PS3, XBOX2 no PC will have any hope of matching them for a very long time, as they will be far more powerfull than even the very best PC scheduled for release in the next 2 years or so. Plus of course the fixed spec of a console means developers learn the machine, and how to push it to its limits.

On the PC, the countless different specs dictate that the games can never take advantage of the very latest equipment for fear of alianating 90% of PC owners.
Old 14 Feb 2004, 23:21 (Ref:874400)   #22
MichaelH
Veteran

Ukraine
Northumberland, England
sorry JAG, if you're right here I'll eat my words with a smile on my face, but I'm pretty sure the PS2 is not getting Race Driver 2. Xbox is capable of much more for developers thanks to the extra processing power and the hard-drive and I think it's a good decision to develop primarily for Xbox. The PS2 version of RD1 next to the Xbox version looked a mess.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 10:22 (Ref:874664)   #23
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Please don't turn this into an "Xbox is better than PS2" debate....theres enough of that on the 'net.

No matter what it comes out on, its going to be a good looking game. lets hope the physics are better than the original RD.
Old 15 Feb 2004, 10:32 (Ref:874670)   #24
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
This isn't a "console war" argument. The words 'rulez' and 'suckz' haven't come up once .
Old 15 Feb 2004, 11:47 (Ref:874725)   #25
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From what i've been told it will come out on PS2 at a later date, as they need that amount of time to refine (or maybe that's de-tune) it for the PS2.