Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Tributes Forum

Old 16 May 2007, 21:06 (Ref:1914944)   #1
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Ashley Stichbury - How quickly 5 years passes

As today dawned, I can tell you in exact detail what I was doing 5 years ago today. It was Friday May 17, 2002, and although it wasn't Black Friday, it was going to turn out far worse than that.

After a torrid day at work, I picked up a good mate and we went to look at probably one of the finest examples of a road car in New Zealand (at least) in an unmarked warehouse. The car was a Porsche and it was almost appropriate. Another good mate of mine took a phone call as we were about to leave, and he kept saying "Calm down"...things just didn't seem right.

The phone call was from a very upset Mark Porter and he was ringing to inform us that Ashley Stichbury had passed away from a brain haemorrhage.
The news cut us all to the bone and we all went into a reasonably quiet shock.

How could the super-fit, Mr Genuine of New Zealand Motorsport be gone? It's a question that is still asked to this day, I am sure.

Just recently, Ashley had become a Dad, and he was set to be part of the V8 Supercar Development Series with Paul Morris Motorsport....a dream accomplished. And it all ended far, far too soon.

Ashley Stichbury was without any doubt one of the finest racing drivers New Zealand has ever seen. His ability to drive any car on any day and be competitive is a relatively rare trait in motorsport.

Ashley started racing karts as a youngster at the Hawke's Bay Kart Club - a club which also turned out V8 Supercar driver Greg Murphy and NZV8 champion John McIntyre.
Ashley won the Shell Ultra Challenge Formula Ford Scholarship, and this saw him really get into circuit racing. Ashley holds the honour of being the only driver to ever win back-to-back NZ Formula Ford titles. He also drove Tranzams and NZ V8 Touring Cars, and he even drove at Bathurst and proved himself well given the lack of preparation and forewarning.

Today, it does not seem like 5 years have passed. But alas, they have. And the world hasn't been quite the same without Stich' being around.

To Anna and Zak (a school boy now, surely), and to Susan-Jane and Paul, Ashley is still remembered. May today be gentle on you and filled with fond memories of a supreme driver and a champion guy, a father, a son, and most definitely someone who departed far, far too soon.
Old 16 May 2007, 21:34 (Ref:1914960)   #2
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just Do It, thanks for the reminder. You are right he was one of NZ greats.

Apart from at tracks I use to bump into Ashley at the old St Lukes Squash Club on a regular basis, god dam it he was good at that as well. Very fond memories.

Rest in peace Ash
Old 16 May 2007, 23:12 (Ref:1915016)   #3
speedreader
Racer

Australia
speedreader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well done again JDI, your reminder is gratefully received and your words near perfectly describe him.

Sad twist of irony that the man calling you that day to tell you of Ashley's passing tragically joined up with him some 7 months ago - I hope they are winning all of their races in the sky now, what an awesome team...
Old 16 May 2007, 23:49 (Ref:1915026)   #4
Just Do It!
Veteran

Just Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJust Do It! should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hi speedygirl. Yes it sure was a sad twist of irony.

All I try to do is remember those who have made a significant impact on my own life and our great sport in general for one day we shall all be fallen and hopefully someone may take the time to remember us.

My own brushes keep me reminded of how mortal we are

Regards, Just Do It! (Who first cheated death at 7 weeks old)
Old 17 May 2007, 01:02 (Ref:1915038)   #5
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well said JDI great tribute to a great racer, it seems so often these days with not only racer's but people in general that life ends far to soon and this certainly is one sad example.
Old 17 May 2007, 03:55 (Ref:1915069)   #6
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I remember it well. Can't believe it was that long ago and can't believe what happened. Never made any sense.
Old 17 May 2007, 07:12 (Ref:1915110)   #7
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
RIP Stich. Hope you and Diddley are looking out for each other in heaven.
Old 17 May 2007, 11:25 (Ref:1915275)   #8
Prickly_Goo
Veteran

Australia
somewhere you arent...
Prickly_Goo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ashley Stichbury...

Gosh JDI, you nearly made me cry...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor
RIP Stich. Hope you and Diddley are looking out for each other in heaven.
Razor, you sed it all mate.. I dont think theres anything I could say that would top that.

I never knew Ashley personally but I heard of him doing racing and I took a vivid interest in his racing... I was shocked when I heard that he passed away.

JDI, I never fully realised how close you were to the two (Mark and Ashley) after the chat we had late after bathurst and now seeing your words again i fully realise. We cant bring people back but I reckon if we could you would prob choose these people.

Regards Fernandez_Angel