Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 21 Mar 2001, 20:36 (Ref:73377)   #1
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, how about this strange little beastie?

Can you identify this car, and for a bonus, can you tell me which World Drivers Champion used it in his early racing days?

Any interesting information about the car's construction would also be useful.

Go for it!
Attached Thumbnails
g128.jpg  
Old 21 Mar 2001, 20:58 (Ref:73388)   #2
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, given the blue and white colour scheme, I would suggest that this is an Ecurie Ecosse car - and therefore I think the driver would have been a certain John Young Stewart.

As for the make I'm on less solid ground... could be an AC, could be a Lister. I'm sure I've got a picture of JYS driving it - somewhere...
Old 21 Mar 2001, 22:01 (Ref:73408)   #3
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm pretty sure the car is a Lotus. An Elite I think, I have a photo somewhere but cannot locate it tonight.

Jackie Stewart might well have raced it but it is more likly to by Jim Clark, Ecosse team. 59 / 60. Car was built from the new fangled Glass Reinforced Plastic. Could hve been the car that finished 10 at Le Mans 59 Clark / Whitman.

Simon
Old 21 Mar 2001, 22:14 (Ref:73413)   #4
Sparky
Veteran

Sparky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm thinking Marcos, and 'construction' would consist of plywood, glassfibre and anything else Jem Marsh had to hand!

As to the driver...

...I dunno. James Hunt?
Old 21 Mar 2001, 22:50 (Ref:73423)   #5
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sparky gets the prize definitely the original plywood monocoque Marcos, but I have a feeling SL has correctly identified the future World Champion who peddled it. The unual shape was designed by Frank Costin (the Cos of Marcos) and partner to Jem Marsh (the Mar) before Marsh bought him out.
Old 21 Mar 2001, 22:56 (Ref:73424)   #6
SL
Veteran

If it is a Marcos then the driver would have been J. Stewart or D Bell. Both drivers champs of various formulee, both drove the wooden wonders.

I must admit the badge on the front looks Marcos. The construction could be either early Chapman or any Marsh creation. Glue, GRP and luck.

Simon
Old 22 Mar 2001, 03:22 (Ref:73504)   #7
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very interesting, didn't know that the de Havilland Mosquito school of engineering made it to cars-not at this time anyhow- that's if it IS a Marcos woody...

I have been looking at it and trying to see what it resembles, not to much avail; a strange beastie indeed.
It has the (sort of) semblance of a hard top E-type that someone stuck a big straw into the the cabin and blew very hard, stomped on the bonnet and did all kinds of funny things to the front end.

cheers, David (oh, and happy spring-tomorrow they've announced another 10cm, will it ever end?)
Old 22 Mar 2001, 21:18 (Ref:73698)   #8
Speed Demon
Racer

Speed Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sparky, you're spot on - it is a Marcos, I'm sure of it now. WDC driver? Still going for Stewart...
Old 22 Mar 2001, 21:35 (Ref:73706)   #9
SL
Veteran

Easy Peasy.

Marcos Zylon, raced by Jackie Stewart among others. Wood chassis GRP body. Ford 105E engine. Still raced today. Commonly known as the 'ugly duckling'.......wonder why.

Simon
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:00 (Ref:73714)   #10
Sparky
Veteran

Close, SL! It's the Xylon

Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:10 (Ref:73726)   #11
SL
Veteran

Sparky,

Well OK then X Y Z whatever, we will just have to split the case of Moet Magnums that Tim put up for the winner.

Tim next please.

Simon
Old 22 Mar 2001, 22:15 (Ref:73727)   #12
Sparky
Veteran

Right-o Simon. I got 'Marcos' and 'Plywood' - you got 'Xylon' and 'JYS'! Half a case each!

Viceroy Dudley - a fresh challenge if you please!
Old 22 Mar 2001, 23:08 (Ref:73760)   #13
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excuse me, I thought it was me that had Marcos and JYS in the same answer first . Tell you what Tim we'll go for a jeriboam and split it 3 ways...
Old 22 Mar 2001, 23:27 (Ref:73768)   #14
Sparky
Veteran

Er... four ways

Speed Demon mentioned JYS first!

Actually, I got 'Marcos' and Plywood' in the same post first, so I win!!

The driver was the bonus!! Tee Hee!!

I win... I win...

Last edited by Sparky; 22 Mar 2001 at 23:30.
Old 22 Mar 2001, 23:37 (Ref:73771)   #15
Marshal
Veteran

Pah! Beaten by a lousy 36 minutes. I'll get you next time
Old 23 Mar 2001, 00:41 (Ref:73787)   #16
TimD
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Kingdom
Derbyshire Peak District, United Kingdom
TimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTimD should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
*hic*

Delicious champagne this...

You've all done extremely well. It is indeed the plywood Marcos, driven at Charterhall by Jackie Stewart on May 1st 1962.

Now, tomorrow's picture is going to be a little different - assuming I can find where I've put it!
Old 23 Mar 2001, 03:35 (Ref:73817)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I haven't read any responses to this but I expect its already been stated as a Marcos as driven by JYS. All pltwood chassis and very weird.
Old 23 Mar 2001, 16:28 (Ref:73922)   #18
Hans.ca
Racer

Hans.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was a Marcos in Canada, I think it was a later open top model. Still glue and plywood only. It rolled end over end and sideways a few times at Harewood Acers at the entrance to the chicane. The driver ended up straped to his seat sitting in the midle of the track while the car disintigrated totally. I used to have a picture of the driver sitting there but it is gone now. It was published in the G&M so perhaps I can find it in my files.