Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Track Day Forum

Old 28 Feb 2006, 20:06 (Ref:1533453)   #1
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know its prob been asked before.. but

What type of helmet do i need for track days. I've just bought a westfield with an aeroscreen and am looking for a helmet. I'm planning on a couple of track days so knowing the rules would help me in my choice. such as do i spend 300 to 400 on a fia one or will a motorbike helmet do?
Old 28 Feb 2006, 20:38 (Ref:1533464)   #2
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Consult the organisers and/or the venue. They will not only have minimum requirements but doubtless good advice as well.

Regards

Jim
Old 28 Feb 2006, 21:32 (Ref:1533496)   #3
ascarmarshal
Veteran

United Kingdom
West Yorkshire
ascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridascarmarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As long as it has an ACU Gold sticker on it or a MSA blue sticker on it you will be fine. Buy the best helmet you can afford. It could well save your life
Old 1 Mar 2006, 10:14 (Ref:1533812)   #4
JimW
Veteran

United Kingdom
Worcestershire, UK
JimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJimW should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not all Trackday organisers require a helmet certificated for Motor sport, some allow the use of road (m/cycle) helmets.

And, of course, buy the best you feel like affording. (But I doubt you are going to spend £1500 as I saw advertised the other day. Plus HANS.)

Regards

Jim
Old 1 Mar 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1534038)   #5
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
However much you spend, do invest a lot of time making sure you get a proper fit. This is often neglected, but an ill fitting helmet can be quite dangerous.
Old 1 Mar 2006, 20:26 (Ref:1534167)   #6
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Went to a Trackday the other week at Brands, had my helmet and two for passengers and none were checked full stop.
Old 2 Mar 2006, 17:42 (Ref:1534802)   #7
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've never had my helmet checked at any Track Day but always make sure I have a decent one.
Old 2 Mar 2006, 21:06 (Ref:1534923)   #8
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Raine
I've never had my helmet checked at any Track Day but always make sure I have a decent one.
That goes without say, I have a brand new FIA spec one anyhow but no one bothered to look and some of those guys were really pushing it the other week at Brands in fact several ended up in the armco so the dangers are still there. Mind you many have a lap and diagonal seat belt and no roll cage as well.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 08:40 (Ref:1535202)   #9
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd be spending cash on a helmet which meets MSA standards. Have a look on the Demon Tweeks / GPR / Merlin Motorsport websites for examples.. I think the Sparco Formula helmet starts at about 220 quid rather than 300. Go and get it fitted rather than mail order..
Old 3 Mar 2006, 18:00 (Ref:1535565)   #10
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I used my Roof Motorclcyle one, but it was never checked.
A bit of advice, if you tall make sure you can fit in th car with it on, I was wedged in!
Old 3 Mar 2006, 20:14 (Ref:1535659)   #11
sib668
Rookie

England
teesside
sib668 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
thanks guys. i've got a bike one for now. I need a new exhaust before i can get on track as i'm pushing 110db and limit at croft is 100db. damn. i'm gonna get a fia one later in the year as i've got the exhaust to find
Old 3 Mar 2006, 20:34 (Ref:1535671)   #12
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Rally design do an FIA helmet for £175, I have one and its fine.
Old 3 Mar 2006, 21:01 (Ref:1535688)   #13
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rally Design do seem cheap - that's where I got my gear from some years ago. Is that a full face with visor?
Old 4 Mar 2006, 08:21 (Ref:1535969)   #14
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Yes although not a full visor so probably no good for single seaters more for saloons, I just bought a fire extinguiser system for my second car from them £85 + vat I already have one of theirs for my yellow car, I think they are good value on a lot of stuff.
Old 22 Mar 2006, 08:46 (Ref:1557358)   #15
maddogf3
Racer

England
maddogf3 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Went to a Trackday the other week at Brands, had my helmet and two for passengers and none were checked full stop.
When you said two helmets for passengers, did you take two people with you in the car .We got a knock back trying to do that three years ago they would allow it then, but not anymore. We've never tried it since .The reason for this was showing two novice drivers around on the slow beginner's ,not been to the circuit laps ,you get at the start .
We found if we went to a circuit that we had never seen before and tucked in ,right behind the Lad who took you around at 40mph ,Usualy a Marshal ,they used all the right lines inch perfect and then you could learn the circuit yourself for the rest of the day These marshalls know a lot more than some of us give them credit for .I am sure that" Coombe Marshal" could teach a few racers out there the right and wrong lines to use at CC .