Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 25 Jan 2003, 11:19 (Ref:485418)   #1
JMeissner
Subscriber
Veteran

Sweden
Sweden
JMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJMeissner should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
STCC 2003 - Progress

STCC 2003 - Progress
STCC 25/01/03

The STCC 2003 is taking good shape currently. At this moment eight cars are confirmed. Two Audi's, five BMW's and one Honda Civic. Though it very much looks like we are going to get at least six or more cars entered before the season start. "If every thing goes right it can be up to eight different manufacturers in the STCC 2003," said Staffan Svenby of STCC AB. Kristoffersson Motorsport have confirmed two new Audi A4's, but are aiming to have four cars on the start line in May.

There has been no official confirmation from Volvo yet, but we can count on that at least one Volvo S60 will be on the start line with Janne "Flash" Nilsson behind the wheel. During the winter Volvo's Motorsport department have updated the remaining S60's (3) with new aerodynamic, upgraded engine and fitted a new sequential gearbox. Rickard Rydell and Sandro Sardelli will as earlier reported drive in the ETCC with ART Engineering. Janne "Flash" Nilsson will drive in the STCC and perhaps a few races in the ETCC with his own team Flash Engineering as it looks right now. And the ETCC race at Anderstorp in Sweden, if it gets to stay within the ETCC calendar that is, will attract many entries from the STCC as many cars are running under the same set of rules.

A fourth Volvo S60 could be brought in to the STCC, rumours say that Tommy Rustad is up for that drive. Though Rustad has been mentioned in other circumstances: Podium - Picko Troberg Racing and SEAT. As we reported earlier Podium - Picko were in Spain and having a meeting with SEAT's Motorsport department. But it has been said that the deal could have fallen due to that Podium - Picko wants to run two cars, something that SEAT perhaps cannot provide the team with. Although there are more options for the team, such as Alfa Romeo.

The Danish Peugeot team will most likely run two cars for Jason Watt and Jens Edman in the STCC with their DTC Peugeot 307's. More wild rumours are that a Mercedes C-Class is being prepared to Super 2000 rules and that two Alfa Romeo's already have been shipped to Sweden. Other than that we can expect at least a few cars entering different rounds from the Danish Touring Car Championship and perhaps a few Super Production spec' cars. Stay tuned, for we will certainly get more interesting information shortly!

STCC 2003

Confirmed

1 Fredrik Ekblom Audi A4 Kristoffersson Motorsport
2 Tommy Kristoffersson Audi A4 Kristoffersson Motorsport
3 Jan Brunstedt BMW 320i Bakajev Motorsport
4 Patrik Ernstsson BMW 320i Bakajev Motorsport
5 Mattias Andersson BMW 320i West Coast Racing
6 Rickard Göransson BMW 320i West Coast Racing
7 Carl Rosenblad BMW 320i Elgh Motorsport
8 Tomas Engström Honda Civic Engström Motorsport

Speculations

Very Likely

9 Jan Nilsson Volvo S60 Flash Engineering
10 Tommy Rustad Volvo S60 Flash Engineering
11 Tobias Johansson Audi A4 Kristoffersson Motorsport
12 Marius Erlandssen Audi A4 Kristoffersson Motorsport
13 ? Seat Toledo Podium - Picko Troberg Racing
14 ? Seat Toledo Podium - Picko Troberg Racing
15 Jason Watt Peugeot 307 (DTC) Peugeot Denmark
16 Jens Edman Peugeot 307 (DTC) Peugeot Denmark

Quite Likely

17 Magnus Krokström Volvo S60/S40 Krokström
18 ? Alfa Romeo 156 ?
19 ? Mercedes C-Class ?
20 ? Vauxhall/Opel (BTC) ?

Johan Meissner
johan@meissner.se
Old 25 Jan 2003, 22:44 (Ref:485921)   #2
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So the rumors about 4 Volvo S60s were correct? Previously, many people thought only 3 existed. Let's hope Volvo will decide to race in their own home championship!
Old 29 Jan 2003, 15:52 (Ref:489548)   #3
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I have high hopes for the STCC this year - I just hope I won't get disappointed.

At least the TV coverage will be improved (longer and even shown the same day as the races were run)