Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 2 Jun 2005, 08:59 (Ref:1317750)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Would Kimi have won had the car held together?

We have debated at great length whether Mclaren should have brought Kimi in, and whether as a result of his suspensioin failure Fernando has pretty much got one hand on the title, but now for a bit of hypothetical fun.

Do you think Alonso would have passed Kimi on the last lap if that suspension had not failed?

My own view is that with Alonso scenting victory and charging and with Kimi having to drive very defensively to protect his tyre and suspension, he was going to be very vulnerable under braking, and that barring a coming together, I think Fernando would probably have snatched the win. What do you think? Remember this is just a bit of fun, and not intended for too serious a debate, or, (he said defensively) me getting castigated for starting a silly or irrelevant thread - although that will probably happen, anyway!

Any chance of a one of our nice moderators making this a poll?
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:05 (Ref:1317756)   #2
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's a good hypothesis - a difficult one, though - if Raikkonen's suspension had held together then he would been able to drive a little defensively, but the sensible man says he would have been overtaken...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:12 (Ref:1317767)   #3
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well we know that Alonso's tyres weren't that good and I'm not certain whether he went faster or it was Kimi slowing that reduced the gap. I suspect that Kimi would have yielded the place because he couldn't defend properly. But it would probaly have occured into the chicane and that is a difficult place to pass if the car is in the middle of the track.

So. Yes, and or no...........................
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:39 (Ref:1317798)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If Kimi had been able to get round the last lap trouble free he'd have won.

Alonso had not been catching him quickly enough.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:50 (Ref:1317809)   #5
Gabrio
Veteran

Gabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGabrio should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I agree with K-B on this one. On the other hand, had McLaren called him back to change the tyre, he would have lost 10 pts but gained 8. Instead, he just lost 10 pts....
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:58 (Ref:1317814)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
gap

It would have been blummin' close. He was in the corner that was the hardest to defend when he went off, so we have to assume he would have been alright there. The best place after that is the final chicane as mentioned. That would have been exciting.

Here are the gaps after Alonso's stop:

Lap Gap
48 11.825
49 10.1
50 8.652
51 7.446
52 6.17
53 4.922
54 4.452
55 4.036
56 3.548
57 2.729
58 1.589

Also see quick graph which is attached!

It is difficult to say, but it would be a last chicane or corner job. I'll go for, er, no.
Attached Thumbnails
g.bmp  
Old 2 Jun 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1317816)   #7
TomS
Racer

TomS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think Alonso would have found it very hard to overtake...after all he wouldnt have been able to through the hairpin as he wasnt that close so it would have to come later on in the lap and i think that Kimi would have been able to defend as Alonso's tyres wouldnt have been perfect so he would have found it hard to drive straight round him
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:01 (Ref:1317820)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bear in mind Alonso, with his points lead, would not have put himself in a "I'm coming through or we both go off" situation.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:24 (Ref:1317843)   #9
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
It looks as if Alonso was gaining 1 second per lap.

And with one lap to go, he was still more than 1.5 seconds behind.

So Alonso wouldn't have made it.
He could have tried to make his first attack(s) in lap 60, but the race only lasted 59 laps.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:43 (Ref:1317870)   #10
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don K
It looks as if Alonso was gaining 1 second per lap.

And with one lap to go, he was still more than 1.5 seconds behind.

So Alonso wouldn't have made it.
He could have tried to make his first attack(s) in lap 60, but the race only lasted 59 laps.
I take your point, Don, but the gap was not closing in a uniform way and we don't know how much slower Kimi would have had to go to keep the car on the island on the last lap. In that situation 1.5 seconds can disappear very rapidly. I remember thinking, just before the suspension let go, that Alonso had a real chance of pipping Kimi at the post! However, it is also true, as k-b mentions, that Alonso might not have wanted to risk it. On the other hand, he too, is a racer, and that very instinct that kept Kimi out on track for the win, may have led to Fernando also taking the risk. I just think it is fun conjecturing!
Old 2 Jun 2005, 10:45 (Ref:1317873)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
It would have been blummin' close. He was in the corner that was the hardest to defend when he went off, so we have to assume he would have been alright there. The best place after that is the final chicane as mentioned. That would have been exciting.

Here are the gaps after Alonso's stop:

Lap Gap
48 11.825
49 10.1
50 8.652
51 7.446
52 6.17
53 4.922
54 4.452
55 4.036
56 3.548
57 2.729
58 1.589

Also see quick graph which is attached!

It is difficult to say, but it would be a last chicane or corner job. I'll go for, er, no.
That's the info I needed so a definite yes from me.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:04 (Ref:1317889)   #12
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Strangely I'd interpret a no from that information. On the previous lap he'd closed in by 1.2 seconds, and doing that again would leave him 03. seconds behind - essentially, right on his gearbox. Passing wouldn't be easy, especially as Alonso would have so much to lose and has been very good at playing the percentages all season. If anything, that is what marks him out as championship material ahead of Kimi or JPM.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:07 (Ref:1317893)   #13
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Ah,

I meant yes he would have won. Not yes Alonso would have got past. As Adam said it would need to be at the chicane because both had previous grip problems at the hairpin and I would expect Alonso to play the percentages at that point.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:42 (Ref:1317926)   #14
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Good discussion point.

I think, from the information provided by Adam that for some reason, Alonso also started to slow down as his gains on Kimi started to lessen. Maybe Alonso was also having tyre problems towards, something we will never know.

So I will say "No!"
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:47 (Ref:1317933)   #15
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
Ah,

I meant yes he would have won. Not yes Alonso would have got past. As Adam said it would need to be at the chicane because both had previous grip problems at the hairpin and I would expect Alonso to play the percentages at that point.
Sorry, my fault. I posed one question in the thread title and posed it the opposite way round in my post!

It also looks as though I'm in the minority ....... again!
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:50 (Ref:1317937)   #16
neil_davidson2
TT Photo Of The Year Winner - 2009 & 2010
Veteran

England
Swindon, UK
neil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridneil_davidson2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it would have been very close but I think Kimi would have hung on to take the win.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 11:52 (Ref:1317943)   #17
mabs_nsx
Veteran

Australia
Where Rally Aus belongs - Perth, WA
mabs_nsx is a back marker
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Do you think Alonso would have passed Kimi on the last lap if that suspension had not failed?
No Kimi would have won.
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:05 (Ref:1317949)   #18
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
I am not so sure. I think had it lasted another lap, it might have been in much worse shape. Alonso might have got him on the last turn, or..... they might have come together and Rubens would have won
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1317959)   #19
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not sure. I guess Kimi would have been able to keep Alonso behind him IF they didn't reach the two cars in front. If they were forced to lap them, I'm pretty sure Alonso would have won. But still, that would be 24 points in the worst case, now it's 32
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:33 (Ref:1317973)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inigo Montoya
I am not so sure. I think had it lasted another lap, it might have been in much worse shape. Alonso might have got him on the last turn, or..... they might have come together and Rubens would have won

How would Rubens have caught and passed Nick Heidfeld?
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:35 (Ref:1317974)   #21
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Ooops. Thanks for the correction KB. Astute as ever
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:36 (Ref:1317977)   #22
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
How would Rubens have caught and passed Nick Heidfeld?
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:42 (Ref:1317984)   #23
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think Kimi wouldve won firstly Kimi is a good defensive driver....also Alonso would not have caught up to Kimi until the end of the lap and i think Alonso wouldve had to be very aggressive to overtake at that part of the lap maybe even risk taking them both out....
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:47 (Ref:1317991)   #24
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
I think, from the information provided by Adam that for some reason, Alonso also started to slow down as his gains on Kimi started to lessen. Maybe Alonso was also having tyre problems towards, something we will never know.
Backmarkers...
Old 2 Jun 2005, 12:59 (Ref:1318012)   #25
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Comes down to this lousy points system again.

I'd love to think that both drivers would have been really going after the win, but IMO neither Alonso or Kimi would have taken any real chances at that point in the race for only a 2 point difference. The teams must have been screaming in their ears, "no chances, take the points!"

Danica Patrick