Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 7 Sep 2004, 22:27 (Ref:1089473)   #1
EliteArsenal
Rookie

EliteArsenal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
education

Hi, I am currently a high school student in New Jersey, United States of America. First, let me tell you that my dream is to become a formula 1 aerodynamicist. I am looking into my educational options and trying to shape my education around becoming an aerodynamicist in formula 1. I have found it highly difficult to find advice in this area. I'm a senior in high school and about to apply to several schools. These schools include.
RPI
University of Illinois
Purdue
University of Maryland
Rutgers
Penn State
University of Colorado
Cornell
University of Michigan
I need to decide between aerospace and mechanical engineering. I also need to choose a school. If anyone has any advice for me at all I'd really appreciate it.

email: vestwithsleaves@hotmail.com
Old 8 Sep 2004, 01:06 (Ref:1089513)   #2
Spyder_Monkey
Rookie

Bhutan
Mobile, Alabama
Spyder_Monkey should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Two words: Forumla SAE. Join your school's team, especially if you end up at Cornell. No racing team (and not many in the automotive business) will hire you if you don't have FSAE experience.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 01:16 (Ref:1089516)   #3
EliteArsenal
Rookie

yea thanks, i was most definitely planning on joining a formula sae team, can't wait actually.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 01:55 (Ref:1089526)   #4
dretceterini
Veteran

dretceterini should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would add Cal Tech and MIT to your list.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 02:07 (Ref:1089529)   #5
EliteArsenal
Rookie

Im afraid I dont think ill be admitted to either, although I would love to attend either of those schools. My SAT scores are 1310 and I im in the top 3% of my class and from what I've learned through my school research is that I don't have a chance in hell at getting into either of them, or affording them at that matter. Thanks though.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 04:14 (Ref:1089570)   #6
Hauptmann6
Rookie

Hauptmann6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michigan would be a good choice, Pratt and Miller and Rocketsports are both within an hour or so if you can get an internship with them.
Old 8 Sep 2004, 20:51 (Ref:1090299)   #7
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Purdue also would be a superb choice...

I would suggest Rose Hulman, but it would depend on your grades & SATs etc....but it is a top level engineering school

There are TONS of opportunities to learn or earn while attending Purdue....and there are many racing-related opportunities just 35 miles down the road in Indianapolis....

an entire racing support industry exists here....there is the windtunnel that reynard built here that is now run by another auto industry entity (who it is escapes me)...there are Champ car and Indy Car teams, composites and design shops, engine builders, racing component service companies and...

Riley Technologies....

Bill Riley is a Purdue Graduate...who knows...that operation could be your foot in the door to the racing world...which is very much a "people business"...the more people you meet in it, the better off you'll be...and there are plenty of them in Indy...

Finally, my nephew was an aerospace engineering student at Purdue...got his master's just last spring...

he decided to go into aircraft and is making a ton of money working for Boeing...

But he almost went into racing....made lots of contacts through school and from living here for many years...

So if you want to go racing...keep Purdue high on your list...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 03:28 (Ref:1090504)   #8
CorvetteC6R
Rookie

CorvetteC6R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Illinois is one of the best for engineering..As is Purdue, almost went but decided not to. Great school known a couple guys that went there. Opportunities are boundless!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 14:15 (Ref:1090899)   #9
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by CorvetteC6R
Illinois is one of the best for engineering..As is Purdue, almost went but decided not to. Great school known a couple guys that went there. Opportunities are boundless!

As I thought about my post in this thread last night, I should have added Illinois to that list....

Champaign/Urbana is an easy drive down I-74 to Indianapolis as well....so the same proximity to Indianapolis also exists for the Univ. of Illinois as it does for Purdue or Rose-Hulman...

Purdue is the closest, followed by Rose Hulman, then Champaign (U of I), but all are within 90 minutes or so of Indy...

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 9 Sep 2004, 15:13 (Ref:1090931)   #10
The Treester
Racer

The Treester should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Look, as a degree Physicist/Aerospace Engineer, it doesn’t make a darn difference which university (as long as it’s accredited) you choose to attend just KNOW YOUR STUFF and you will succeed. It boils down to what you want, finances and scholarships.

Yes, joining FSAE, but make sure you try to intern somewhere! Also join SCCA, learn the different cars and how they respond differently (driving style pending) on the same track and figure out how to make it better. Get familiar with Data Acquisition; remember F1 aerodynamist is like getting pick for a US professional sports team. You’re going to have to work for it unless you’re naturally gifted. Also join AIAA. I believe some if not all university AIAA chapters work together with their FSAE organizations. I’ve been to a couple of AIAA regional conventions where some of the papers presented had something to due with aerodynamic elements on their formula cars.

If I had to due it all over again, I would approach it this way!

Tim suggestion of Purdue and hooking up with Riley Tech’ is good. Also Think of Georgia Tech or Clemson due to Panoz being close buy. Also Clemson has a new Race Engineering program.