Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 25 Nov 2003, 08:51 (Ref:793681)   #1
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
BAR switch to Michelin confirmed.

http://www.grandprix.com/ns/ns12199.html

BAR have joined the Michelin runners, presumably they will be hoping for the same warm weather in Europe that we had last year, and that Bridgestone don't make big strides in their higher temperature performance - negating the benefit of the move.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:06 (Ref:793693)   #2
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Redblurr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes odd really - knowing Bars's luck Bridgestone will be strong next year - jump ship only to find it is not sinking
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:30 (Ref:793724)   #3
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not odd in my view! Excellent move, and one which further marginalises Bridgestone and Ferrari. At this stage I think a little somethng (actually a pretty big something) that makes life just a bit harder for Ferrari is a good thing. We will still get interesting races when it is cold or raining, but more importantly we will get to see how good that BAR is.

Renault will stillbe ahead of them (I think) but they will be well above Jaguar and Toyota I reckon. Good news for Jenson Button, so that's ok with me.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:36 (Ref:793729)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The other Bridgestone teams have tended to find that the tyre development is purely done to Ferrari's benefit, but BAR will do well to get much support from Michelin, especialyl if Renault remain ahead of them (something I'm not convicned of, for reasons discussed elsewhere).

With the rule changes pre-Monza, Michelin didn't seem to have the same advantage anymore, and although the hotter months had passed, Monza in September is rarely cold. BAR's impressive end to the season ironically backs up the idea that the balance had changed again.

It will make life harder for Ferrari because it's another 2 cars that could be in a position to take points off Ferrari if the situation favours Michelin, but the jury'd out on whether it'll actually be better for BAR.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:46 (Ref:793746)   #5
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't think that the Bridgestone runners have much choice but to switch to Michelin if they don't want to be continually treated like second class citizens behind Ferrari.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 09:52 (Ref:793755)   #6
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this is a BIG benifit to bar!
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:15 (Ref:793783)   #7
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great move, but will Honda like it?
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:30 (Ref:793799)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A good move, although at some points it did look like they were stepping up as a more supported Bridgestone team. Some tests they were doing tyre work as well as Ferrari.

Overall a good move I think. I wonder if it cost? A lot of teams have good contracts with the tyre manufacturers. I wonder if BAR have sacrificed this?

As for Honda, I' m sure they agree with what was going on. Going quicker is the stronger issue, although Bridgestone & Honda does seem more natural.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:38 (Ref:793808)   #9
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Firstly, this could be good for Bar but similary it could be a huge gamble. After reading what Bridgestone have been doing/planning and the various tyres that are ready to test this gamble may come back to haunt Bar. In short Bridgestone I believe will be back, last year's data provide Bridgestone with a focus or goal. Where does this leave Michellin - where do they improve - wet tyres I guess
Old 25 Nov 2003, 10:58 (Ref:793817)   #10
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I believe that this is good news for the remaining Bridgestone teams. Actually Bridgestone could manufacture custom tyres for 2-3 teams, but Michelins can't do the same for 8.

Anyway, in the best scenario, BAR will have tyres that suit them as well as they suit Willy and Macs, but nothing more. In worst, they'll be second class citizens to the aforementioned teams, not Ferrari. Hardly a grand-slam hand.

The only single point that might hurt Ferrari (I don't think of helping BAR; unless in the future the only real challenger for them is Ferrari) is that if everyone leaves, Bridgestone might be bored and quit, thus leaving Ferrari without an hypotetical advantage. But as long as Bridgestone wins with them, that's not really a problem.

Last edited by Red; 25 Nov 2003 at 10:58.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:03 (Ref:793820)   #11
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Forcing Bridgestone into a corner and having them withdraw altogether is a hazard - if Ferrari get on the same tyres as the competition we are looking at a very long reign for the red team. Personally, I don't have a problem with that but I know F1 in general does.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:26 (Ref:793839)   #12
Smokey 6 litre
Veteran

England
The Total Perspective Vortex
Smokey 6 litre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by DriverT
Great move, but will Honda like it?
why wouldn't they?

Honda wouldn't be patriotic, and want BAR on Bridgestone just bercasue they're japanese.
Honda want the best for BAR to market their product.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:43 (Ref:793851)   #13
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Now how many teams are with Bridgestone ? Ferrari, Minardi and Sauber ?
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:47 (Ref:793857)   #14
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey 6 litre
why wouldn't they?

Honda wouldn't be patriotic, and want BAR on Bridgestone just bercasue they're japanese.
Honda want the best for BAR to market their product.

They did push for Takuma Sato........

Last edited by ASCII Man; 25 Nov 2003 at 11:47.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:56 (Ref:793863)   #15
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Jordan are on Bridgestones as well.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 11:58 (Ref:793865)   #16
Redblurr
Veteran

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Jordan are on Bridgestones as well.
according to Brundle so are Toyota
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:05 (Ref:793928)   #17
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I don't consider it to be an advantage for either BS nor BAR...though there is indeed potential for BAR.

One reason why BAR chose Michelins is that they know their car is more than capable of beating Toyota/Jaguar consistently and even fighting with Renault and the 2nd Mclaren for positions...all which did not happen simply because they believe the inferior BS to the Michelins compromised their car's potential.

Many engineers from BS and Michelins had voiced that in general, the demands expected of the tyres from the different teams are quite similar but for the minor tweak. BAR would profit hugely only if (1) Michelin continues to be the dominant tyre next year (2) their car is better than that of its immediate rival Jag and Toyota.

BS is going to suffer from the lack of feedback. The over reliance on Ferrari for testing is worrying, but the fact remains that among all the teams this year, few had the capability and resourses that can provide BS with support. Now BS is left with 1 works team vs Michelins 6 factory backed teams...so unless Ferrari really pushes BS hard..its going to be a hard fight.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:06 (Ref:793930)   #18
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Redblurr
...In short Bridgestone I believe will be back, last year's data provide Bridgestone with a focus or goal. Where does this leave Michellin - where do they improve - wet tyres I guess
I think that both Michelin and Bridgestone have the potential to improve. Michelin have all the chances too.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:14 (Ref:793941)   #19
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
After being beaten so many races this year, I guess BS will try to get the edge again.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:37 (Ref:793982)   #20
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How can we say: good or bad move?
It's just a bet; certainly, after such a season can seem it will benefit BAR, but the same way we could hardly predict such an improvement by Michelin just a year ago, who can be sure that BS won't reverse the situation?
Bet can be won or lost, and the result won't depend on BAR's choice.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:38 (Ref:793986)   #21
climb
Veteran

St Pierre and Miquelon
closer than you thought!
climb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridclimb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
From another standpoint, considering that BAR is not in direct competition with Ferrari, it's a way to diminish uncertainty towards those teams who battle directly the DR's squad, as they all have now the same tyres.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 13:53 (Ref:794005)   #22
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bridgestone do have a contractural arrangement with Honda as a group, and have supported their two-wheeled activities as a joint partner,so this is clearly a Prodrive/BAR driven decision,not a Honda one.

It was interesting that F1 Racing mag believed that a BAR on Michelins could have been a possible race winner this year - however, this doesn't disguise the fact that BAR's job is to build car that can beat the best on the same tyres,not win with a tyre advantage, and they have failed to do that for five years now.

I think Sauber will be the winners from this with their pseudo-Ferrari being developed to suit the same tyres as the red cars, with no pressure for Bridgestone to go in another direction. I mean,Bridgestone aren't going to listen to Jordan needs are they! In fact they probably won't even speak to Jordan,in case EJ takes anything they say as a binding contract and sues them..........
Old 25 Nov 2003, 14:01 (Ref:794018)   #23
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
I think climb makes the valid pont , BAR's direct competition is Toyota, Jaguar and Sauber - by switching tyres at least they are on the same rubber as two of them, so won't be compromised as much in the constructors battle.

Certainly, wet weather is where Michelin need to, and undoubtedly will, improve.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 14:21 (Ref:794046)   #24
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by ASCII Man
They did push for Takuma Sato........
Yep, you took the words right out of my mouth.
Old 25 Nov 2003, 15:38 (Ref:794124)   #25
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Redlake27
Bridgestone do have a contractural arrangement with Honda as a group, and have supported their two-wheeled activities as a joint partner,so this is clearly a Prodrive/BAR driven decision,not a Honda one.
Contracts in other forms of racing or not, if Honda thought that having Bridgestones on the car was holding back their F1 development in relation to other manufacturers, I don't think they would hesitate for a second to switch over to another manufacturer. So I would say it was a decision made in consultation with Honda, as Honda are more than just engine suppliers to BAR.

Quote:
Originally posted by Redlake27
It was interesting that F1 Racing mag believed that a BAR on Michelins could have been a possible race winner this year - however, this doesn't disguise the fact that BAR's job is to build car that can beat the best on the same tyres,not win with a tyre advantage, and they have failed to do that for five years now..[/B]
of course, that doesn't stop other teams beating BAR whatever tyres they have on...do they have to build a car that can win with a tyre disadvantage?
Its up to every team to ensure that they are on the very best tyre they can possibly be on and if the opposition have a weak tyre on a particular circuit or weather - tough.