Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Clubmans Rallycross Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Rallying & Rallycross

Old 21 Apr 2003, 17:36 (Ref:575775)   #1
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Peter S should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any news on Rallycross from Lydden????

Anyone have results, news, gossip from British rallycross championship at Lydden Hill today?
Old 21 Apr 2003, 20:36 (Ref:575899)   #2
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Barrie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just got back, Supercars excellent

A final

Will Gollop

Superfinal very eventful start, Gollop getting taken out by Holfeld, getting his wheel torn off. Then Holfeld drove straight into McCluskey wiping his chances.

Superfinal

P.Doran
D.Carnegie
L.Gibson
G.Rogers

Rest all suffered in some way.

Modifieds

G Rogers
D.Bellerby
C.Evans
Old 21 Apr 2003, 20:39 (Ref:575902)   #3
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Got some good pics Peter, have to work out how to download to your site.
Old 21 Apr 2003, 21:06 (Ref:575912)   #4
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Just been sent a picture of gollops car. Massive damage. So unlucky. Looks like they are all ganging up on him and carnegie as its the only way they can beat them.

did Mccanns new subaru make its debut?

Massive crowd there from what i have been told, good for british rallycross

Last edited by Peter S; 21 Apr 2003 at 21:07.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 05:11 (Ref:576111)   #5
Barrie
Veteran

England
Colchester Essex
Subaru wasn't quite ready.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 07:52 (Ref:576194)   #6
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Absolutely brilliant days racing, massive crowd, good weather and loads of cars - superb

I think the Gollop incident was accidental - Holfeld got a great start and was alongside Gollop into Chessons, they both carried too much speed into the corner and went wide, after that I'm not 100% on what happened but I think Doran hit Gollop and took the wheel off (he went into a cloud of dust intact and came out the other side with loads of bodywork damage). Holfelds car wasn't all that badly damaged but he did also punt McCluskey up the rear later on. Gordon Rogers was excellent in the superfinal (I'm still not sure how he didn't T-bone Lawrence Gibson) and he managed to beat some of the supercars.

All in all an excellent day (glad to see that Don Shannon was OK as well - that looked nasty).
Old 22 Apr 2003, 12:06 (Ref:576367)   #7
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
I see mr bellerby got excluded again! Wild man!

And holfeld got excluded to. To right after those goings on.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 12:56 (Ref:576415)   #8
Hog
Racer

Hog should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand Holfeld getting the load up, but why Bellerby? I know he's been a bit boisterous before, but from where I was standing he looked to keep his nose clean.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 13:29 (Ref:576459)   #9
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
Apperenetly for pushing off Christopher Evans out of second place.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 14:46 (Ref:576536)   #10
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
I must admit I'm somewhat bemused by Bellerby's exclusion as well, I didn't see him do anything wrong. I thought the modified final was just a close well fought piece of racing, I was actually quite impressed with Bellerbys driving - he seemed to have the measure of Evans and I didn't notice anything untoward going on.

The Holfeld/Gollop coming together seemed liked a racing incident from where I was but I admit it was a fair distance away. I'd be surprised if there was any intent as when I've seen Holfeld in the past he's always been a 'clean' driver.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:30 (Ref:576589)   #11
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
I take it John Cross and Greg Rose didnt turn up?????

Also what happened to the TT of Terry Briggs?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:40 (Ref:576598)   #12
Hog
Racer

Holfeld seemed to run Gollop high and wide into Chessons, and as Gollop came down off the back he was struck a glancing blow by Doran which took the OSF wheel clean off. Dorans part in the incident was completely unavoidable, as due to Holfeld and Gollop both going wide the whole area was shrouded in thick dust.

Cross was there wasn't he? I don't know - I see so many cars line up I lose track! The Audi seems to be a complete waste of space - it doesn't handle, and it has less speed than my 2.0DTi Vectra.

Bert - missed you on Monday - perhaps you'll say hello at another meeting soon. The Peugeot info you passed onto me was very well received thank you.

I am knackered today. Part of me is glad that I've got a desk job to recover from yesterday, but the down side is that if I don't get up and walk about every 20 mins my knees seize up. Oh well - I suppose all that running will get me fit!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:43 (Ref:576602)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
John Cross was there but didn't last beyond practice (the focus kind of died going up the hill and exited to the paddock after about a lap).

Terry Briggs TT made it out for the heats (I think it started 2 of them) but was never really running right - it was making lots of very loud 'banging' type noises in the paddock most of the afternoon and I must admit I was surprised to see it out for the 3rd heats (it didn't last long though). All in all the TT is a complete waste of time and effort really - I don't think we'll see too much more of it somehow.

Greg Rose wasn't there (at least the new car wasn't racing) and there was no sign of Mike Dresser with the Exige (not a shock).

The field did seem a bit light on modifieds but the cars that were there were all pretty good.
Old 22 Apr 2003, 15:58 (Ref:576616)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
Hog - we were loitering between paddock bend and the start line most of the day (with the size of the crowd around there we were pretty reluctant to move too far). We did manage to say 'Hi' to Mad hats as he wandered past though.

Glad the pug info was useful - the car seemed to be going alright so you obviously put all the bits back on in the right places!

Will you be at Lydden for any of the other meetings or do you marshal rallycross only? I usually make it down for the SEMSEC events as well as the rallycross so if you're about I may well catch up with you.

I'm not surprised you're knackered, you probably ran several miles during the course of the day - I noticed you were particularly quick getting out of the way for the supercar final and the superfinal!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:00 (Ref:576617)   #15
Hog
Racer

Mike Sellar would have been there with a new engine in his Fiesta for the modifieds, but Mountune managed to blow his new lump on the dyno. That's why he came out in one of John Cross's stock hatch hire cars. From the look and sound of it from my position on the grid it looked an absolute shed. Car 99 = shed. Car 713 = shed. Coincidence?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:06 (Ref:576625)   #16
Hog
Racer

Bert - I mainly do rallycross but time, kids and the missus allowing I do occasionally venture out for SEMSEC or the 750MC.

The car was going okay - he retired in the first round when an earth wire came adrift. Second heat wasn't much cop but he did win his third heat. Front row of the C final secured him 2nd place.

It's amazing how fast a big bloke like me moves when you've got several thousand BHP waiting to launch itself at you. I certainly never have any problems with earwax I can tell you. The only trouble I have after doing rallycross startline is getting cold-like symptoms for a day or too afterwards due to some of the funny smells coming from one or two exhaust pipes. I'd like to know what fuel they're running - it certainly isn't Optimax!
Old 22 Apr 2003, 16:08 (Ref:576628)   #17
Peter S
Veteran

England
Durham
hehe!

As for Briggs then that just shows what a waste of time those spacframe regs are.

Pleased to see a big crowd....anyone know what the actual attendance figure was?
Old 22 Apr 2003, 22:32 (Ref:577431)   #18
Robin Plummer
Racer

England
Chelmsford, Essex, England
Robin Plummer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
LYDDEN FINALS VIDEOS

What a Fantastic day good racing and weather! Spotted this new shape Mini hiding!.

If any one is interested I have 2 short .WMV (Windows Media Player 9)videos of the Supercar A final highlights (4.1mb) 1m 4s and Superfinals highlights(4.7mb) 1m 14s that I took that are good quality.

If you want them mail me at;
robin.plummer@blueyonder.co.uk
and I will send them, make sure you mailbox can take 5mb attachments!

Maybe Peter S would like them on his site to make it easier??
Attached Thumbnails
new mini.jpg  
Old 29 Apr 2003, 08:53 (Ref:583529)   #19
Hog
Racer

Just watched the video clips very kindly sent to me by Robin. It certainly wasn't Doran who hit Gollop, more likely it was Manning. I just can't figure out how Doran suffered the bodywork damage though?