Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:43 (Ref:2790360)   #1
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Jon Lincoln should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BBC Sports Personality of the Year 2010

Please see the link which takes you to my campaign to get Dario Franchitti recognised by the BBC this year. Please do what you can to support this initiative!

I'll be posting regular updates on my blog so feel free to keep in touch by subscibing.

http://motorsportviewersandlisteners...10-vote-dario/
Old 14 Nov 2010, 16:54 (Ref:2790378)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one. He's certainly the most deserving Brit in motorsport this year.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 02:09 (Ref:2790770)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Damn. I have already voted for Emile Heskey.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 16:01 (Ref:2791110)   #4
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jason Plato??
Old 15 Nov 2010, 16:21 (Ref:2791124)   #5
JackN
Racer

United Kingdom
Norrrrrfolk
JackN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB IS THE STIG View Post
Jason Plato??

But yes, let's get behind Dario!
Old 15 Nov 2010, 16:26 (Ref:2791127)   #6
fourWheelDrift
Veteran

United Kingdom
fourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridfourWheelDrift should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Lincoln View Post
Please see the link which takes you to my campaign to get Dario Franchitti recognised by the BBC this year. Please do what you can to support this initiative!

I'll be posting regular updates on my blog so feel free to keep in touch by subscibing.

http://motorsportviewersandlisteners...10-vote-dario/
I'd love to see Dario win it and I wish your campaign every success. Sadly I think his profile is so minimal outside of us petrol heads that his chances are slimmer than the thin white vest that clings to the inside of an eggshell.
Old 15 Nov 2010, 17:36 (Ref:2791163)   #7
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Quote:
I'd love to see Dario win it and I wish your campaign every success. Sadly I think his profile is so minimal outside of us petrol heads that his chances are slimmer than the thin white vest that clings to the inside of an eggshell.
Actually that's my next campaign! I think the inside of eggs need tougher lining!

Back on Dario though - it's worth a try. Who knows, if enough people contact the Beeb they may show more than just a few clips of F1 in their Sports Review programme. Anything that raises the profile of the sport in general has got to be good.
Old 1 Dec 2010, 18:23 (Ref:2798237)   #8
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

Well the nominations are out and our sport isn't represented. Here's my take on it all and what we can do!http://motorsportviewersandlisteners...t-didnt-exist/
Old 1 Dec 2010, 18:30 (Ref:2798241)   #9
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Haven't even heard of any of the nobodies on the shortlist.

Is Tom Daley from XFactor?
Old 1 Dec 2010, 20:08 (Ref:2798294)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy View Post
Haven't even heard of any of the nobodies on the shortlist.

Is Tom Daley from XFactor?
They aren't nobodies, although I don't see any reason why Lee Westwood (already one golfer, and he didn't win a major and was beaten in the money list by McDowell) is on the list, and as for Phil Taylor the split in darts has caused some issues with regards to which circuit actually matters. The England football team doesn't really have any star names that deserve a nomination (Peter Crouch might have if Fabio Capello actually bothered to pick him). It's not been a vintage year for UK sport really, but out of that lot I'd probably say that it's between Jessica Ennis, Mark Cavendish and Amy Williams. It would be clearly Cavendish if he won the maillot vert in the Tour De France (if it was handed out on Bernie's meddles, which it isn't, he would have), although the Vuelta isn't to be sniffed at. David Haye has fought excellently against the people he has been put in the ring with (let's put it this way, I'm glad I went to a bar to see his fight with Audley Harrison, because anyone who knows anything about boxing would have known it would have taken a maximum of four rounds for Haye to KO Harrison, which might not be too much boxing for your fifteen quid or however much on SBO), but we all really want to see him take on a Klitschko (either will do).
Old 1 Dec 2010, 23:47 (Ref:2798394)   #11
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Westwood is world number one

Ennis is world champion

between those 2 all day long
Old 3 Dec 2010, 13:27 (Ref:2799083)   #12
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd vote for Jessica. Nothing to do with the sports personality, I just would!

As for darts - sport? Come on. May as well include dominoes and shove ha'penny. A skilled game, sure, but a sport requires some physical exertion besides walking to the bar for your next pint. On the other hand, they've had snooker players in the past and I'd class that the same.

*ducks for cover*
Old 3 Dec 2010, 13:34 (Ref:2799091)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I'm wary of any campaign to have someone 'recognised'. As far as the UK is concerned, US open wheel racing is a niche interest. I don't see the point in trying to force one's own interest in it onto an uncaring public.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 13:44 (Ref:2799100)   #14
bella
Race Official
Veteran

France
bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!bella is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
As for darts - sport? Come on. May as well include dominoes and shove ha'penny. A skilled game, sure, but a sport requires some physical exertion besides walking to the bar for your next pint. On the other hand, they've had snooker players in the past and I'd class that the same.
not fair. any sport which encourages a man to multitask - hold a pint AND throw a dart - is a sport as far as i'm concerned. that's like saying cricket isn't a sport because they have a break for tea and sandwiches
Old 3 Dec 2010, 14:06 (Ref:2799116)   #15
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Personally I'd vote for Amy Williams. Winning a sport where normally we don't have the conditions for it (ok so we do now) against so many other countries is an achievement.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 20:28 (Ref:2799255)   #16
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd vote Paul di Resta but thats me
Old 3 Dec 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2799263)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROB IS THE STIG View Post
Jason Plato??
Please may I draw your attention to the word that begins with p in the thread title.

I'm for The Power.
Old 3 Dec 2010, 21:43 (Ref:2799283)   #18
ascarracinguk
Veteran

ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!ascarracinguk has a real shot at the championship!
top 3 are tom daley, amy williams, phil taylor. all have excelled in their chosen sport this year...i think it will be between tom and amy....toms now world, european and commonwealth champion, and amy won an olympic gold for sliding down some ice on a tea tray....LOL....seriously tho amazing achievement for a brit to win a winter olympic gold....but then sledding is more of an engineering/science thing when it comes to the sleds...and the uk are very good at that!
Old 4 Dec 2010, 11:31 (Ref:2799467)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
I'd vote for Jessica. Nothing to do with the sports personality, I just would!

*ducks for cover*
Funny, as I feel 'The Power' is the one outstanding candidate on the list. Absolutely phenomenal competitor and too long overlooked.
Old 4 Dec 2010, 12:07 (Ref:2799479)   #20
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the prize should go to the best sports PERSONALITY it should go to Graeme Swann. His cause will be helped if the wicket in Adelaide spins in the Aussie second innings

lets not forget, he was part of a world cup winning team
Old 4 Dec 2010, 14:39 (Ref:2799519)   #21
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by bella View Post
not fair. any sport which encourages a man to multitask - hold a pint AND throw a dart - is a sport as far as i'm concerned.
Exactly... but its been made a lot less challenging and politically correct since its heyday in the 1980s

See here.
Old 5 Dec 2010, 00:02 (Ref:2799738)   #22
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tony McCoy has rode over 3000 wining horses, has been named British Jump racing champion jockey every year since 1995/1996 and won his first Grand National earlier this year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_McCoy

The entire Horse Racing industry in the UK is behind him. He isnt a nobody..
Old 5 Dec 2010, 00:04 (Ref:2799739)   #23
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Tony McCoy has rode over 3000 wining horses, has been named British Jump racing champion jockey every year since 1995/1996 and won his first Grand National earlier this year. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tony_McCoy

The entire Horse Racing industry in the UK is behind him. He isnt a nobody..
But it isn't a lifetime achievement award, its sports personality OF THE YEAR
Old 5 Dec 2010, 08:37 (Ref:2799804)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I thought he made crisps.
Old 5 Dec 2010, 12:29 (Ref:2799905)   #25
Jon Lincoln
Rookie

I'd just like to point out that my aim is not to force open wheel racing unto a public that is not interested. My campaign is about promoting better quality coverage of motorsport as a whole.

We'll see exactly how much motorsport is covered in the Sports Personality programme. I suspect very little but it would be a major injustice if Franchitti's success is ignored completely.