Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 31 Jul 2010, 18:02 (Ref:2736576)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
GT1 mid season review

GT1 has just passed the midway mark now with the race at Spa finished so it might be worth taking a quick look back and see what has happened so far.

Right now GT1 is still adapting to the new world championship, with short 1 hour sprints and new regulations. While yes being cast out by the ACO now means they can't race at Le-Mans, but this might allow for GT1 to have some breathing space to follow whatever route it pleases now. I think this series will last for sometime, even with it's nitpicks -too short races, new cars need to be brought in, lack of manufacturer support- it's provided some of the best racing this year.

A bit of fresh air.

So has the “new” GT1 impressed you so far in its first five races, or do you think it has not been worth it? Do you think it works the way it is or do think it needs a complete rethink?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 18:34 (Ref:2736589)   #2
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Bury it now please and thank you.

Though I do think the races have been entertaining.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2736603)   #3
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, please do bury it!

L.P.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2736605)   #4
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
bury it.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 19:00 (Ref:2736608)   #5
TWK
Veteran

TWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTWK should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There's still a GT1?
Old 31 Jul 2010, 20:56 (Ref:2736694)   #6
Purist
Veteran

United States
Wichita, Kansas, USA
Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!Purist is going for a new world record!
I guess I have to stand against the tide and say that it has been a lot of fun to watch.

GT2 and GT3 as the main event just doesn't really do it for me. Besides, GT1 has had good racing this year, so GT2 can't stand on that alone. And the GT2/3 cars just don't have the aggression or the same sound. I'll take the Murcielago over the Gallardo any day. I'll take Matech's Ford GT over the Doran Design car, hands down. The GT2 Corvettes just don't measure up, because I've gotten used to those GT1 C5-Rs and C6-Rs, with their less restricted, 7.0-litre engines, the bolder look, and the tail end that looks like it came off of a Can-Am car.

The selection of tracks too, is quite good. For an Asian venue, you could do a lot worse than Abu Dhabi, and there are only a few on the mainland that I would definitively say are better. They have the best of the top Eastern European venues onboard: Brno. I do wish they'd be going to Durban, but that is on the slate for next year, and I will be interested to see how Navarra (Los Arcos) is; it certainly should be a real improvement over Catalunya and Valencia, just based on the track layout alone. And just try telling me with a straight face that you wouldn't like to see LMS, ALMS, or whatever running at Interlagos and Potrero de los Funes.

Now then, I wouldn't mind seeing some more cars, and it looks like we may get that. There's the BMW Alpina project, and there has also been rumblings about a few others. I could see a separate shop (not Ferrari itself) doing a 599 for someone (Vitaphone probably). I've also heard that a Veritas RS-III GT1 may be in the works, as they're coming out with a coupe version of the car.

As for race format, it might be nice for the championship races to be stretched out to 90 minutes, or even 120, but that's a pretty minor thing in my book.

About the only venue not on the calendar that I would particularly like to see is Monza, and I wouldn't be too troubled if they slotted that one in in place of Paul Ricard in the future.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:02 (Ref:2736696)   #7
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Stoneage cars pretending to be a world championship that, in reality, nobody gives a crap about.

Or, to word it in modern-days internet-lingo: Fail! The sooner this championship is axed, the better.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:03 (Ref:2736697)   #8
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Abu Dhabi was amazing with the GT1's. The F1 was boring, so maybe its not the track.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:09 (Ref:2736700)   #9
Deleted
Veteran

Deleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameDeleted will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Although I do agree that the performance balancing, lame sprint format, spec-ECU and ageing cars are all huge problems, I reckon most of the bashers haven't even watched the races. Or they take every word from Hindy as the ultimate truth.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 21:16 (Ref:2736703)   #10
Acid09
Veteran

Germany
Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!Acid09 is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
Although I do agree that the performance balancing, lame sprint format, spec-ECU and ageing cars are all huge problems, I reckon most of the bashers haven't even watched the races. Or they take every word from Hindy as the ultimate truth.
I just have no interest in watching the races. The cars are old and the teams and drivers are second-grade at best...even in the sports car world.

To be taken serious, a sports car racing world championship should feature some of the best sports car drivers and teams. Drivers like Alan McNish, Pedro Lamy, Stephane Sarrazin, David Brabham, Romain Dumas, Marc Lieb, Jaime Melo etc. etc.

Are any of these drivers in this so-called world championship? No! Gee, I wonder why..

This whole thing is a joke...
Old 31 Jul 2010, 22:18 (Ref:2736746)   #11
NaBUru38
Veteran

Uruguay
Las Canteras, Uruguay
NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!NaBUru38 is going for a new world record!
The championship isn't broadcasted in Argentina or Uruguay. Having a second race this year hasn't changed that.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:30 (Ref:2736797)   #12
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
dj4monie is heading for a stewards' enquiry!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purist View Post
I guess I have to stand against the tide and say that it has been a lot of fun to watch.

GT2 and GT3 as the main event just doesn't really do it for me. Besides, GT1 has had good racing this year, so GT2 can't stand on that alone. And the GT2/3 cars just don't have the aggression or the same sound. I'll take the Murcielago over the Gallardo any day. I'll take Matech's Ford GT over the Doran Design car, hands down. The GT2 Corvettes just don't measure up, because I've gotten used to those GT1 C5-Rs and C6-Rs, with their less restricted, 7.0-litre engines, the bolder look, and the tail end that looks like it came off of a Can-Am car.

The selection of tracks too, is quite good. For an Asian venue, you could do a lot worse than Abu Dhabi, and there are only a few on the mainland that I would definitively say are better. They have the best of the top Eastern European venues onboard: Brno. I do wish they'd be going to Durban, but that is on the slate for next year, and I will be interested to see how Navarra (Los Arcos) is; it certainly should be a real improvement over Catalunya and Valencia, just based on the track layout alone. And just try telling me with a straight face that you wouldn't like to see LMS, ALMS, or whatever running at Interlagos and Potrero de los Funes.

Now then, I wouldn't mind seeing some more cars, and it looks like we may get that. There's the BMW Alpina project, and there has also been rumblings about a few others. I could see a separate shop (not Ferrari itself) doing a 599 for someone (Vitaphone probably). I've also heard that a Veritas RS-III GT1 may be in the works, as they're coming out with a coupe version of the car.

As for race format, it might be nice for the championship races to be stretched out to 90 minutes, or even 120, but that's a pretty minor thing in my book.

About the only venue not on the calendar that I would particularly like to see is Monza, and I wouldn't be too troubled if they slotted that one in in place of Paul Ricard in the future.
+1

The people that shout "kill it" or "bury it" are Prototype and/or Endurance Purist (no pun intended).

This series was never meant to appease this part of the fanbase because they haven't liked any move Ratel has made since the initial 500km format was changed in 2007 to a ALMS-ish 2 Hour Timed Format. Which Endurance Purist hate the most about the ALMS but tolerate it because the alternatives... Are not desirable.

The races have been good, the performance balancing was needed specifically because Nissan and Matech have data the others didn't. If Gigawave continued to field the GTR's, I'm sure they would be doing just as well as Sumo Power is, if not better. Matech had the advantage of racing and testing the car in its 2010 configuration in 2009.

The Championship is within reach which is why Matech has made the investment, dropped the "All Girl" experiment and hired some seasoned but quick pro's for the title stretch.

I am ready to follow this down to the wire.

One or two changes I would make, is to make the Championship Races 2 hours because its worth more points and you should have the option to change tires in the Championship race or Not.

This is because many teams have only one fresh set of tires by the Qualifying Race and the choice is to use them in the Qualifying race or the Championship race. If you Qualified at the back, you might be tempted to use all your new tires alloted to get up to the front for a better starting position in the Championship race. But you'll fall back because you don't have any new rubber left. There should be one set of fresh tires available for both races.

But there also should be the option of taking on fuel and no tires and see if you can maintain the gap and manage tire wear.

I know adding fuel adds danger to pit lane, but I think its worth it.

Those are easy and painless changes that could be made.

Within 5 years there should be -
  • a tire war within reason, yes its possible
  • 25-30 cars, drop the 4 cars per manufacture mandate make it min 2 cars
  • New Cars To Replace Corvette and MC12
  • 2-3 Races in North America
  • Increase Purses and Championship Fund to increase ROI
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:38 (Ref:2736801)   #13
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Cha-Ching!

Which is why Hindy is not providing Color to the Spa 24, when they have proven its worth at Le Mans and N24 for the English speaking market.

I love Hindy but I call him on the mat every time he bashes this series based largely on nothing.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:44 (Ref:2736805)   #14
NightStalk3r
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wiltshire, England
NightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNightStalk3r should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I reckon most of the bashers haven't even watched the races. Or they take every word from Hindy as the ultimate truth.
I rarely listen to hindy, i certainly dont listen to his bashing of anything as i rarely listen to midweek motorsport, and i have watched every race this year, and at the end of each race weekend i am left with a sour taste in my mouth that this is what the FIA GT has become, it's a mickey mouse series now the format is crap, the constant ****ing about with cars performance is annoying as hell, each weekend comes down to who the SRO has given a performance advantage too after changing the balancing again and again.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:45 (Ref:2736806)   #15
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by dj4monie View Post
Which is why Hindy is not providing Color to the Spa 24, when they have proven its worth at Le Mans and N24 for the English speaking market.
Unless you know that for a fact I'd consider this a very bold statement.
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:53 (Ref:2736809)   #16
dxk1
Veteran

United States
Annapolis
dxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the griddxk1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I much prefer GT racing to prototypes (still, I appreciate prototypes as well) but really don't like the new format of Qualifying race and Championship race of 1 hour each. I started to worry when they went to 2 hour format (with 3 pit stops) because I really liked the 3 hour (or 500 km) format for the FIA-GT series. I would prefer a mixed format of some sprints and some enduros. I really miss having the GT1s in the 24 hour race. but admit it just doesn't fit with the new format. Having said all that, I have enjoyed some of the races as they are tightly contested for the most part. The equalizing has been a royal pain in the arse as week to week performance seems to change for each car. I wouldn't bury the series just yet but I wish they would drop the two race format and go back to a single 2 or 3 hour race. Perhaps a compromise with a 1 hour qualifier and a 2 hour championship race might be ok. But the biggest improvement would be give the GT1s their balls back. If not, maybe they should bury it.

DK
Old 31 Jul 2010, 23:58 (Ref:2736814)   #17
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid09 View Post
I just have no interest in watching the races. The cars are old and the teams and drivers are second-grade at best...even in the sports car world.

To be taken serious, a sports car racing world championship should feature some of the best sports car drivers and teams. Drivers like Alan McNish, Pedro Lamy, Stephane Sarrazin, David Brabham, Romain Dumas, Marc Lieb, Jaime Melo etc. etc.

Are any of these drivers in this so-called world championship? No! Gee, I wonder why..

This whole thing is a joke...
Second Rate? Everybody you just mention is either over 30 or happy where they are. Americans if you showed them pictures of any of the people just mentioned are unidentifiable. I would also say that for most Europeans that call themselves "Racing Fans" would largely say the same thing.

I should also mention though McNish has won Le Mans et-al among most pundits he's considered (especially in Europe) a F1 Reject firstly because the respect level of Sports Car Racing is somewhere between GP2 (and all its copy cats), Indy Car (in its current form) and Touring Cars.

Face it your a traditionalist to your detriment.

I like the fresh blood in the series (F3 drivers, GP2 drivers, GT3 drivers) and it certainly better than watching the Draysons and Fields of the world deprive us of actual competition.

I would pay to go see these drivers and this series before having to listen to that fake rah, rah shhh coming from the Speed booth and always calling for sympathy for low funded efforts, on purpose I might add. The ALMS lets them cheap it out because it would mean a LMP field of 4 cars at most events.

Only the ACO would stand on its false podium, proclaim greatness and quality at Le Mans only to let in of all people Autocon. Talk about stealing somebody's money. They rather take their money than to tell them, that they don't take this form of racing seriously enough, keep your money you need to buy new transmissions...
Old 1 Aug 2010, 00:11 (Ref:2736816)   #18
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
Unless you know that for a fact I'd consider this a very bold statement.
Hindy has stated he was available for the Silverstone Round and was available for the Spa 24 race, but got no phone call. Stop pretending when Hindy speaks nobody listens or that his weekly show happens in a vacuum.

He's hardly said ONE positive word about the series. If your Mr.Ratel, why would you hire a guy like that? You wouldn't. I would hire Hindy despite his VIEWS but that's just me.

There's no fact to know and that statement wasn't bold at all, its face value. All I know is he wasn't hired to do a job when he's available to do so and nothing preventing that, I doubt he would refuse too. This is the 2nd time SRO has used Addison and the 3rd time for Herbert.

He could have used Hindy for both the Video Feed and Internet Radio in one move.

Makes economic sense to me.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 00:28 (Ref:2736824)   #19
Dead-Eye
Veteran

Estonia
Dead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDead-Eye should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
There's no fact to know and that statement wasn't bold at all, its face value
You're stating as fact that RLM aren't doing work for SRO because of their comments, without knowing if SRO would even consider working with them in any case. Maybe there are contracts with whatever company they use now for the entire season - RLM wouldn't be able to do every GT race because of clashes -, maybe there are other reasons. We don't know, so stop pretending you do.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 00:33 (Ref:2736829)   #20
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStalk3r View Post
I rarely listen to hindy, i certainly dont listen to his bashing of anything as i rarely listen to midweek motorsport, and i have watched every race this year, and at the end of each race weekend i am left with a sour taste in my mouth that this is what the FIA GT has become, it's a mickey mouse series now the format is crap, the constant ****ing about with cars performance is annoying as hell, each weekend comes down to who the SRO has given a performance advantage too after changing the balancing again and again.
And what would be your alternative?

Ratel rescued the FIA GT series from the trash heap. There was no LMS, there were only National GT series. The BPR format had worked, so he decided to re-use the BPR format. He had the support of the FIA and went with that. But he wanted to expand his market beyond Europe, which I don't blame him, having a race at Monza or Silverstone looks awful empty even with 10-15K fans.

He tried to shorten the events to get more favorable TV rates. This is assuming as I believe is the case that SRO does not sell its rights (like the ALMS) and purchases TV time.

I would really like to know what are people's solutions to real problems to a series.

It can't be 500km and 1000km events for 10 events per season and expect it to be watchable in markets outside of its own market.

Now having said that, the technology to have your own virtual TV station is getting cheaper and cheaper and ITV may be the only way for Sports Car Racing to rely on its International Fan Base and less on its regional or local one.

But until you come up with an affordable model to show an entire 500km or longer race, you'll have to accept other formats that are media friendly.

Stoneage cars? I much rather have shorten races than no races on TV at all and no Hindy is not a substitute for visual pictures and asking me to travel around the world to watch a race is asking a bit much.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 00:44 (Ref:2736835)   #21
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Eye View Post
You're stating as fact that RLM aren't doing work for SRO because of their comments, without knowing if SRO would even consider working with them in any case. Maybe there are contracts with whatever company they use now for the entire season - RLM wouldn't be able to do every GT race because of clashes -, maybe there are other reasons. We don't know, so stop pretending you do.
I don't know, who's pretending? I made a statement, several.

Who was talking about clashing events? Silverstone and at least two other rounds of the series did not clash with LMS or ALMS. How come Ben Edwards isn't doing Spa? There was a rumor that SRO wanted somebody different every event to keep it lively. Well they failed that test when they got Johnny Herbert and Ben Edwards for Silverstone and Paul Ricard.

And as I said, that could be a likely reason. I can't think of a better one largely cause there isn't a better one.

Are you assuming its not as petty as that?

Also have you considered his negative comments have likely affected how many people watch these races? Like I said stop assuming when Hindy speaks its in a vaccum and nobody hears it.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 01:44 (Ref:2736852)   #22
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I don't know, who's pretending? I made a statement, several.

Who was talking about clashing events? Silverstone and at least two other rounds of the series did not clash with LMS or ALMS. How come Ben Edwards isn't doing Spa? There was a rumor that SRO wanted somebody different every event to keep it lively. Well they failed that test when they got Johnny Herbert and Ben Edwards for Silverstone and Paul Ricard.

And as I said, that could be a likely reason. I can't think of a better one largely cause there isn't a better one.

Are you assuming its not as petty as that?

Also have you considered his negative comments have likely affected how many people watch these races? Like I said stop assuming when Hindy speaks its in a vaccum and nobody hears it.
Some awfully big assumptions being put forth here!

And I will agree with Dead-Eye, it was not offered up as a likely reason, but as the reason!

L.P.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 02:22 (Ref:2736861)   #23
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If 12 hours of cut and thrust between 4 manufacturers thus far in the big show hasn't shown how great real endurance sportscar racing is, I don't know what will. The GT1 series is better touring cars than WTCC 90% of the time, that's about it. And yes, I do watch some of the races; about to view yesterday's championship race right now.
Old 1 Aug 2010, 03:11 (Ref:2736879)   #24
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The races are good yepp, but when 10 cars can win most of the time and you have nothing to distinguish them (like a cool team, a different car or a driver worth following), it becomes rather ordinary. The racing is very good, potential is there but it will probably fail instead of becoming as good as GT racing could ideally be.

GT2 cars (maybe mixed with GT3s) and proper endurance races with the sport's big names would work better. (Maybe there's something in Ratel's new GT2 Trophy, but it would have to be more ACO and less The Rat)
Old 1 Aug 2010, 04:20 (Ref:2736910)   #25
dj4monie
Veteran

United States
Reseda, California
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Some awfully big assumptions being put forth here!

And I will agree with Dead-Eye, it was not offered up as a likely reason, but as the reason!

L.P.

How is that a big assumption? Is Hindy not the voice of 24hrs of Le Mans? Is he not the voice of the American Le Mans Series? Is he not the voice of the Le Mans Endurance Series?

Is he not the premiere personality in Sports Car Racing?

If you answered yes to any of those, then disparaging comments made about a series you run (If your the Media Representative) would be a cause for concerned. I assume most of you listen to the show, so I know you have heard his negative rants about it. It has largely nothing to do with the product on the race track, its just simply an opinion that I have no problem with him having at all. But you shouldn't assume that anything you say can't be held against you at some point, especially if its negative.

Your's and Dead Eye's contention is I should basically steer clear of any statements on this because I don't know all the facts. That's fair and I understand that, but you attack the fact I made a Statement but nod your head in agreement that Hindy feels its stupid idea and HE SAID THAT, I HEARD IT, you want me to find the clip?

Before the rebooted series ever turned a wheel he went negative.

The people that say bury it/kill it, want it to go back to its 500km format; okay then you can explain how he'll pay for TV time or the bandwidth to host it online. I also doubt he wants a series with single digits events, he wants a series with at least 10 events, that's mucho TV time my friends for 5-6 hour race every 2-3 weeks. Especially with a fan base about a 1/3 of F1's in Europe and maybe a 1/4 world-wide.

All you can hope for is the occasional 500 or 1,000km event and live with it.