Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:58 (Ref:1038292)   #1
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Be an F1 test driver....is it a good life ?

After reading about the possiblity of Pitzonia/Gene for Germany, I started thinking.

If you where an F1 test driver, would you have a fufilling life (don't laugh yet)

When I go racing I get a unique thrill/pleasure from racing against someone. When I go testing, I love it and get a buzz from improving laptimes and trying things with the car...but its not the same. For a clubby like me this is no big deal.

However imagine your Alex Wurzt or Marc Gene, you have invested your whole life in being a racing driver, you've won lower formula's, sacrificed a lot, worked hard but the best your going to be is a low team driver, or a test driver.

The quote in the "pizzaboy/gene" thread

"Marc had two good cracks at it, now its antionio's turn" summed it up for me. Your in a top team, you get given your chance to shine and the team thinks its not enough, basically "your not top team race quality" - this effectivly ends your top flight racing career.

A good tester you maybe, cash short your not but look at it from a personal achievement level. Your never going to race competativly at this level, only lower levels. Would this be enough ? for me...yes for a F1 driver with racing in his blood and all the effort lost....I don't know.

any thoughts ?
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:25 (Ref:1038308)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Luca Badoer earns millions, gets a free trip to watch every grand prix and as money women as he wants....
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:32 (Ref:1038316)   #3
darcym
Veteran

sort of missing the point a little there
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1038325)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not at all....
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:46 (Ref:1038331)   #5
Dick Spanner
Racer

Dick Spanner should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No, not at all.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:02 (Ref:1038350)   #6
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The strange thing is..these "test drivers" could easily switch to another series and have a decent shot of racing successfully, or at least get a decent race seat in another series.

Indeed..it's kinda wasted after spending your 20 years since 6 racing and winning lower formulae.. you end up in the highest level of motorsports and gets stalled and do testing.

It's a tough job..but someone's gotta do it.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:09 (Ref:1038356)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

More money to be made testing for McLaren or Ferrari than racing in another series.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:12 (Ref:1038361)   #8
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Luca Badoer may also get a race seat in Maseratis new sportscar, whenever it races.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:17 (Ref:1038368)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There aren't that many paid drives available in other championships these days, epsecially if you don't like ovals or sports/touring cars. Certainly none that are paid this well.

What's more, a lot of test drivers know that a race oppoortunity could emerge for them, and if they make use of it, they're probably in for a racing return.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:19 (Ref:1038371)   #10
darcym
Veteran

Thats what I meant about missing the point, forget cash and watching GP's as I said in my first post, I mean about your sense of satisfaction as a racer and as a driver whos made it to F1.

Imagine if Van Gough had just painted postcards, would he have been happy ?

I mean as a guy whos won tons of lower formulas worked hard for 20+ years and then gets the hint that actually your good, but not good enough after investing your life in the sport.

Its like a mechanic being told, hey your not bad with gear boxes and clutches, but engines....your never going to get it, after 20 years as an appricentice (bad wording)

Thats what I'm looking at, would you be happy to never race at that level.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:29 (Ref:1038378)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by darcym
Imagine if Van Gough had just painted postcards, would he have been happy ?
I'm not sure he was as reknowned for being a happy chap anyway!
Quote:
Thats what I'm looking at, would you be happy to never race at that level.
You'd have to say they are happy because most of them do have a choice. They could go racing elsewhere (lesser team or other series), but chose not to.

If you mean are they as happy as the F1 race drivers, well probably not. However in this case they don't have a choice! In the same way as the rest of us don't have a choice about driving for McLaren!

However I guess some are using it as a stepping stone to a decent (happy) drive...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:34 (Ref:1038382)   #12
darcym
Veteran

But would you feel fufilled having tested and F1 car for a period of time, and know that you are not good enough to make that leep to F1 racer, or you've had your chance and blown it. I'm using the gene quote as an example. After his performances in the last 2 races in everyones eyes....he can't cut it, so in reality his F1 race deal is dead. How would you feel knowing at your chosen career you just don't cut it.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:49 (Ref:1038394)   #13
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A little bit down, of course, but I'm sure Marc knows that he's done his best, and he's still achieved something less than 1000 people have done. A lot of guys turn to less lucrative drives in Touring Cars or elsewhere after failing to reach or stay in F1 - surely that's worse.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:16 (Ref:1038425)   #14
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think they are satisified in that they are helping out their respective teams in the development of the car, which is no small piece of the team's success. They still get to drive the best racing cars in the world at high rates of speed at top race circuits. Many get to go to the race meetings as well. There are numerous other perks of which money is one. All in all, a good career! If they are there and doing the job, they must appreciate it. The ones that stay and do not race elsewhere obviously prefer it to racing in other formula.

Are there thoughts in the back of their minds about not racing? I'm sure there are. But to say that makes them unhappy, or unfullfilled is over the top in my opinion. The fact is the percentage of drivers out there that can be on the grid is very small. Then, to be in a top team, or not pay for a drive the percentage drops even more. Realisticly many people in life will never achieve their dreams. Does that mean we should all be depressed and pass on the rest of life's wonders? I think not! But I suppose it depends on if you're a glass half empty, or glass half full kind of person. They are still among an elete few that drive these wonderful cars.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:25 (Ref:1038432)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
But would you feel fufilled having tested and F1 car for a period of time, and know that you are not good enough to make that leep to F1 racer, or you've had your chance and blown it. I'm using the gene quote as an example. After his performances in the last 2 races in everyones eyes....he can't cut it, so in reality his F1 race deal is dead. How would you feel knowing at your chosen career you just don't cut it.
Basically you want us to say they feel inadequate!

It is no different to anyone who doesn't 'make it' IMHO. Except perhaps a little less because they are closer to it than most.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:28 (Ref:1038439)   #16
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I'm not sure he was as reknowned for being a happy chap anyway!
That's because he could only hear 1/2 of what people were saying.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 18:32 (Ref:1038442)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
They do a very important job so I doubt they feel inadequate.

I'll bet Luca Badoer gets a lot of satisfaction knowing he develops a winning car.

However, it must be hard in a sense of no racing. I really feel sorry for Alex Wurz.....a great racer who has been testing since 2001 without a sniff of a race seat!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1038488)   #18
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
think about it this way. you get heaps of money and press {if your anthony davidson} form one days work per gp weekend. then when you do a regular test you get all the new stuff. plus your allowed to really push the car to see its limits. oh look what testing for mclaren did for Panis!! anyone who makes that much money cant complain.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:10 (Ref:1038532)   #19
darcym
Veteran

I certainly don't want you to say they feel robbed, and I only got thinking of this by chance.

If you are say a painter and decorator and after 10 years of doing it you go to do something different, say insurance sales you probably could, but the Gene "had his chance" comments got me thinking. To be a racing driver takes a bit more commitment and work than say a painter and decorator. To hear those comments would have gutted me.

Just interesting to see peoples thoughts on this.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:24 (Ref:1038600)   #20
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As someone who wants to make it to the top, if I even as much as tested for an F1 team, I think I could look back and be satisfied considering my circumstances.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:42 (Ref:1038617)   #21
dcp2685
Veteran

Here's my stance on it....great topic btw darcym.

I think it really depends on your personality. If you're in it for yourself and have a HUGE jaw/chin....err....ego, then being a test driver wouldn't be such a great job. However if you were a team oriented player, then test driving for a winning team would bring great amounts of satisfaction.

Not to say you wouldn't want to be out there racing theirselves (every racing driver wants that) but if they're simply not the racer that the main drivers are from a quality and quickness standpoint....you do your job in development to give your best driver the best car.

As an example (speculation of course...but i can hope can't I?)......Webber hits up Williams next year and Antonio is the reserve driver because it's flat out Webber is the better racer. Somehow i think Antonio knows this. Antonio puts in thousands of miles testing to give Webber the best possible car Williams can give. Webber goes out and wins the WDC and Williams takes the WCC. Webber is satisfied for doing all the winning hence the WDC and Antonio and the team is celebrating with the WCC on a job well done all around the team.

Not to mention being the star driver demands intense dedication in the weight room. I would think a test driver wouldn't have to work as hard. That's just my speculation though.

Last edited by dcp2685; 16 Jul 2004 at 21:44.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:45 (Ref:1038618)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Disagree with the last point, there.

Often the test driver will end up doing a double grand prix distance in a day.

They need to be VERY fit.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:53 (Ref:1038622)   #23
dcp2685
Veteran

Ok Ok....true enough. I wouldn't know.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 21:58 (Ref:1038624)   #24
Kicking-back
Veteran

Rest of your analysis seems spot on, I reckon.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 04:26 (Ref:1038783)   #25
nsxr
Racer

nsxr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hey if any of the test driver feel like their missing something by not racing. i will take their place and let them go off and do what they wont. I'll struggle along with millions of dollars and all the luxuries f1 provides. for these pure drivers dont wont to be bothered with being test drivers.