Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:35 (Ref:667060)   #1
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Schumacher Unprofessional, says Gasgoyne

Just reading through www.autosport.com and came across this.....

Renault technical director Mike Gascoyne accused Michael Schumacher of being unprofessional after the world champion put Fernando Alonso onto the grass at the end of Hangar Straight on the opening lap of the British Grand Prix.

Gascoyne was highly impressed with the standard of driving throughout a race where overtaking was a striking feature, but was disgusted by Schumacher's move.

"I thought there was some great racing and some very professional driving," he said. "The only unprofessional bit was Michael putting Fernando on the grass on the first lap, which I thought was disgraceful. Fernando was alongside him but Michael just kept going, didn't give him any room and put him on the grass at 185mph, which is probably a little dangerous...

Having just watched the beginning of the race again, it looked to me as a defensive manoeurve and fair and square.

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jul 2003 at 12:35.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:43 (Ref:667067)   #2
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I'd really have to see it again to offer a considered opinion, but I didn't see much wrong when I saw it live. Unless I'm mistaken, drivers are allowed to defend their position by moving once and holding their line, and if that puts a challenger on the grass that's his problem, whether at 40mph or 180mph.

Of course, Gasgoyne's no wider of the mark than Brawn was at the 'Ring when he complained about JPM's move on Michael...

Last edited by garcon; 21 Jul 2003 at 12:44.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:46 (Ref:667070)   #3
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Agreed Mrv. It all depends on what side of the fence your sitting on.

I thought it was ballsy of Alonso to try, and I really hope he continues to try moves like that! Good on him.

But at the end of the day Michael moved to cover his line, and had Alonso backed out of the attempt, it would have been just another failed move.

Storm in a teacup.

Another thing to consider, is after Michael had Monty's super move out on him at Nurbugring, I think he will re-enforce his position more strongly in future. I said at the time, the next time JPM (or anyone else) tries that he will give them a driving lesson.

Better to be less forgiving and risk a crash that let all the new kids think your a pushover.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:46 (Ref:667071)   #4
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
First impressions here were not that he was 'defending' but he was 'weaving' - okay he only moved across once but it was so violent that it gave Alonso no choice but take to the grass to avoid a collision. Now a driver would get disqualified from a touring car race for a move like that... but in F1... nothing!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:49 (Ref:667076)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Ah, the old one move 'rule'.

Generally, what happens if you wait till the challenger is partially alongside before you do it? Only one move so it must be OK?

That is why this 'rule' is not to be taken as gospel. Fair racing generally follows something like the one move, but if you leave the one move too late then it is far more dangerous and unsporting than two moves cna be.

On the plus side. Overall the racing at Silverstone was very far and fantastic. I didn't know they had it in them! It seems this lot can race when the mood takes ( ).

Last edited by Adam43; 21 Jul 2003 at 12:53.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:54 (Ref:667080)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
'One move' is supposed to be about defending the line, which kind of presumes your challenger is still behind you. One move into your challenger when he's alongside rather falls into the category of 'deliberate contact', which is worth a black flag (or should be) in any code beyond banger racing...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 12:58 (Ref:667088)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
So there it is, TGF's was practicing for his impending move to BRISCA.......
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:08 (Ref:667100)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Ok, i bite, what the hells BRISCA ???
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:09 (Ref:667101)   #9
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Stock cars... run on short ovals usually and contact IS allowed. Michale would feel at home.

See http://www.geocities.com/rollingstart/F1menupage.html
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:35 (Ref:667147)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Maybe a NASCAR ferrari for his retirement !
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:51 (Ref:667158)   #11
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Pity he didn't do that to Ralf again instead.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:28 (Ref:667188)   #12
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
You want to talk about questionable moves, how about Jacque$ chop (almost) on Button?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:41 (Ref:667207)   #13
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Did he hit him? No! No problem then!!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:44 (Ref:667210)   #14
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Nice one ! "Hold your horses Button, I'm the boss !"
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:58 (Ref:667222)   #15
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back to the thread:

Alonso was trying to pass. TGF 'said' "no way past here pal" which is totally unacceptable.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:59 (Ref:667226)   #16
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Yep should have waved him by and handed him a one of his WDC crowns.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:04 (Ref:667233)   #17
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Absolutely. So rude to hog the outside lane like that, Alonso clearly had his indicator on and had flashed the German a couple of times. Then to move out like that - poor Alonso nearly hit the central reservation! It's no wonder there's so many terrible accidents on the autobahns these days...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:07 (Ref:667237)   #18
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso wasn't trying to pass, he was passing. He was practically alongside when TGF decided to go exit stage right. That might work at a chicane, but at the end of a 190mph+ straight it is downright reckless. Michael has always used the "One move" rule to justify some his more controversial manouveres. The sooner it's scrapped or revised the better.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:08 (Ref:667238)   #19
JR Ewing
Veteran

JR Ewing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
no way - he just chopped him miles before the corner - not racing at all...
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:08 (Ref:667239)   #20
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Careful what you wish for, Wrexxy...

BTW, I'm with Craig, it looked like weaving to me. Fred, (as David Hobbes calls him) was alongside and had a good run into Stowe, on the inside.

It could have been a mess. Besides, didn't Schuey realize this was the guy who was rumoured to have Brake tested DC and ignored yellow flags in Brazil? Its risky to play chicken with children who have no fear.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:08 (Ref:667240)   #21
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
Ah, the old one move 'rule'.

Generally, what happens if you wait till the challenger is partially alongside before you do it? Only one move so it must be OK?

That is why this 'rule' is not to be taken as gospel. Fair racing generally follows something like the one move, but if you leave the one move too late then it is far more dangerous and unsporting than two moves can be.
Spot on. Michael does seem to have mastered the art of waiting until the guy behind starts to move, THEN he moves across in front of him. This is why his moves are more dangerous, particularly if he keeps moving across, like yesterday when Alonso kept coming.

Apart from that, pretty fair racing I thought. JV's move on Button looked a bit desperate, but Button beat him anyway!
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:24 (Ref:667260)   #22
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Shall we go back to processional racing then?

As someone else mentioned, it was no more dangerious or risky than JPM's move on MS 2 races back. He did'nt really leave him much room, and Michael had the choice of hitting JPM or going over the curve (resulting in a spin). Now dont get me wrong, I thought JPM's move, like Michaels, was tough, but fair.

With such little passing nowadays, I do wonder what the fans really want. If the drivers (through fear of penalty) stopp making passing attempts, or move over every time someone does, I dont want to watch anymore.

As for some bias here, I wonder, put JPM, JV, Kim (or whoever your fav is) in MS's position, and swap Alonso for Michael. Would your post (and view) still read the same?
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:33 (Ref:667267)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
As i thought that Michaels move was fair then i'd have to say that my view would still be the same.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:42 (Ref:667278)   #24
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher is without a shadow of a doubt, the most unprofessional F1 driver in the sport's 50 year long history.

He can't drive even if his life depended upon it, his development skills are practically non existant, and the "major achievement" of bringing Ferrari back to the top, well, let's just say he got lucky.

On topic, it's just a case of sour grapes like with Brawn a couple races back.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:47 (Ref:667284)   #25
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire

(you were joking, right??? :confused: )

Last edited by garcon; 21 Jul 2003 at 15:47.