Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > NASCAR & Stock Car Racing

Old 31 Jul 2008, 00:54 (Ref:2260638)   #1
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Mexico City Out

http://www.nascar.com/2008/news/head...ule/index.html

not surprised, but not happy either. that was always a good race and fun one to watch.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 03:39 (Ref:2260684)   #2
ThePenguin
Veteran

United States
United States
ThePenguin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This could be to help cut costs for some of the smaller Nationwide teams, since Mexico city was one of the more expensive events to race at.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:42 (Ref:2260735)   #3
gomick
Race Official
Veteran

Australia
Gobur 3719...
gomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridgomick should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
did they replace it with another road course?
Old 31 Jul 2008, 06:45 (Ref:2260736)   #4
Fish_Flake
Veteran

Georgia
The Foothills of North Georgia
Fish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridFish_Flake should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gomick
did they replace it with another road course?
Word is that Iowa has the inside shot at the date.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 21:15 (Ref:2261269)   #5
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!

I hope they replace it with another road course.
Old 31 Jul 2008, 22:34 (Ref:2261299)   #6
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!fieldodreams79 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE

I hope they replace it with another road course.
so do i but it is doubtful...i'd even figure on Montreal to be out within a couple years, too.

only time will tell.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 00:36 (Ref:2261357)   #7
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
NASCAR is run by morons
even hard core Oval lovers recognize how fun the real circuits are and always make agood race...Road America-Road Atlanta anyone?
Utah? the list goes on and on...Laguna Seca (too close to sonoma i think) or
gasp a race in the northwest Portland? or VIR in the south....
Putzes they are
Old 1 Aug 2008, 01:01 (Ref:2261365)   #8
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
some ovals ARE real circuits, but you have some good points; one needs clarifitcation. NASCAR is run by a bunch of assbackwards, 3 decades behind "classy" redneck businessmen, not morons .

two NW series races were run at Road ATL back in the 80s...they would, unfortunately, never run there again; ATL motorspeedway is too close and they are "diversifying" their regions covered. Saying that, like LS to Sonoma, VIR is too close to Richmond, M'ville and Bristol. this is one reason why Watkins Glen is still on the schedule; it's near nothing else...maybe Pocono.

they do need a mid western and Northwest race if this is their mindset. which definetly bodes the question of why not Road America or Portland? I dunno because they both would be GREAT races. IOWA and other Speedways have already placed dibs on that.

when they ran 50+ races a year, they ran about 8 road races a year. i think there should be more than two, but where i live, most NASCAR fans hate the road courses and ANY road racer.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 15:22 (Ref:2261715)   #9
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
V8thunderfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It’s a shame to loose Mexico city, I personally thought it was a good move by NASCAR to move into market that lacked a big race series. There is a semi decent oval at Puebla the Corona Series runs on it and the WTCC visits its roadcourse... maybe return the series there sometime?
Oh well bring the Nationwide series to Europe and all will be forgiven
Old 1 Aug 2008, 16:49 (Ref:2261743)   #10
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by V8thunderfan
It’s a shame to loose Mexico city, I personally thought it was a good move by NASCAR to move into market that lacked a big race series. There is a semi decent oval at Puebla the Corona Series runs on it and the WTCC visits its roadcourse... maybe return the series there sometime?

Red Bull Toyota did already test at Zandvoort and Nurnburgring.
Old 1 Aug 2008, 18:47 (Ref:2261792)   #11
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Rockingham.

Or maybe Silverstone with the old version of Club they use for the classic and skip the chiane at Abbey (like they used to do at the classic).
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 1 Aug 2008, 19:41 (Ref:2261818)   #12
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
They could probably even make a European series as a third tier series on a similar level to Corona Mexico (possibly to develop road course drivers as well) with the old Busch cars when they get replaced with the COT.

Ovalwise there are Rockingham and Lausitz but add to that tonnes of road courses. NASCAR Busch cars at Pau, anyone?
Old 1 Aug 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2261837)   #13
johntt
Veteran

England
England
johntt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
They could probably even make a European series as a third tier series on a similar level to Corona Mexico (possibly to develop road course drivers as well) with the old Busch cars when they get replaced with the COT.

Ovalwise there are Rockingham and Lausitz but add to that tonnes of road courses. NASCAR Busch cars at Pau, anyone?
I think you could use a car based on the Camping World Series cars, probably with a different engine to get around noise regulations, and a chassis adjustable enough to run on road courses and ovals (which I think the CW Series cars may have, not sure myself).

There is a .75 mile Richmond-style oval being built in Scandinavia somewhere (iirc the track is called Viking Motorpark) and there is also Warneton.
"On a given day, a given circumstance, you think you have a limit. And you then go for this limit and you touch this limit, and you think, 'Okay, this is the limit.' And so you touch this limit, something happens and you suddenly can go a little bit further. With your mind power, your determination, your instinct, and the experience as well, you can fly very high." -Ayrton Senna
Old 2 Aug 2008, 00:46 (Ref:2261908)   #14
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
sorry about this, but ya'll are reaching waaaaaaaaay too far here. i could be wrong, but i do not forsee NASCAR in Europe for the next century or so.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 12:21 (Ref:2262074)   #15
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by fieldodreams79
sorry about this, but ya'll are reaching waaaaaaaaay too far here. i could be wrong, but i do not forsee NASCAR in Europe for the next century or so.
That would depend .. NASCAR is quite popular in Europe more so than I can ever remember. The NFL has proved a single game is not only possible its profitable... NFL Europe is a different story...
So your right .. single race yeah very possible now .. a series doubt it we had more of a chance when the SCSA was in its prime .. I did wonder back then why NASCAR didn't come and put their name to it.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 13:52 (Ref:2262098)   #16
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
you're right...you never know.

i understand the reasons of going down under and to Japan. i don't see NASCAR benefiting from a European race, at this time. Now, merely "putting their name" on a series would be easy for them, potentially.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 14:04 (Ref:2262103)   #17
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
By having an European series NASCAR can say against the manufacturers: "Stay and invest in NASCAR because it promotes your brand worldwide"
Old 2 Aug 2008, 14:06 (Ref:2262107)   #18
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
Quote:
you're right...you never know.

i understand the reasons of going down under and to Japan. i don't see NASCAR benefiting from a European race, at this time. Now, merely "putting their name" on a series would be easy for them, potentially.
Why Australia? Marcus Ambrose? Australia doesn't have a operating oval? Would NASCAR travel halfway round the world to visit a road course.. traveling south to Mexico for a great road course didn't last long. Europe has 2 new build speedways!
Manufactures? Ford & GM always a market leader in Europe.. Chevrolet brand launched in Europe couple of years ago growing quickly. Dodge launched last year. Toyota have a massive market share.
Sponsors.. American brands are trying to gain a foothold in Europe .. the weak dollar and strong euro currancys makes selling products here more profitable (simple maths) Brands like Subway have made a mint from the UK market... Not saying your right your wrong fieldodreams79 just want to understand why Australia not Europe?
Old 2 Aug 2008, 17:23 (Ref:2262187)   #19
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
NASCAR has raced in Australia. Back in I think 1988, they raced at the Thunderdome.
Old 2 Aug 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2262202)   #20
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt
NASCAR has raced in Australia. Back in I think 1988, they raced at the Thunderdome.
Yup .. 1988 The Goodyear Christmas 400
Old 3 Aug 2008, 19:55 (Ref:2262782)   #21
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Iowa should be a good race. Love to see the cup series there too.
Old 3 Aug 2008, 22:07 (Ref:2262883)   #22
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE
By having an European series NASCAR can say against the manufacturers: "Stay and invest in NASCAR because it promotes your brand worldwide"
there is too little interest from the manufacturers in NASCAR right now. and do they sell Impalas, Fusions, Camries and Chargers in Europe?
Old 3 Aug 2008, 22:15 (Ref:2262890)   #23
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
Quote:
Why Australia?
IMHO, Aussies and Americans share a little something in being English speaking countrys independant of Britian, and both are usually considered "cowboys" or "wild" (among other stereotypical remarks). they have similar likes in saloon cars and <seemingly> have more interest in speedway racing than the prim and proper europeans.

and yeah, there's infinite more Aussies in the series than Europeans.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 10:59 (Ref:2263119)   #24
V8thunderfan
Rookie

Wales
Vale of Glamorgan
Quote:
IMHO, Aussies and Americans share a little something in being English speaking countrys independant of Britian, and both are usually considered "cowboys" or "wild" (among other stereotypical remarks). they have similar likes in saloon cars and <seemingly> have more interest in speedway racing than the prim and proper europeans.

and yeah, there's infinite more Aussies in the series than Europeans.
Not sure many Aussie would say they have much more than that in common with the US other than language and being a former colonial state, Trust me I know a lot of Aussies. Racing in Australia is based around the “European” roadracing model and like many things in Australia has its own unique additions, which make it great! but the underlying model remains. Another obstacle is the V8 Supercar series .. hugely popular and build around the Australian audience racing those saloon cars that you say are of similar taste to the US.. could NASCAR ever compete with that?
As for Australia having more interest in Speedway racing that is simply misguided.
Sure there is a lot of interest there but in my opinion not more that Europe. Crack open your history books and find Brooklands .. a high banked oval in the heart of the British countryside opened 1907 one of the worlds first Ovals. Organised Stock car racing has been racing in Britain since 1954 and is very popular mostly racing on quarter mile ovals or smaller all over the UK. Its main organisational body is BriSCA (google it) Also simular Stock car series have been run all around Europe for a simular period to that of BrisCA. The cars may not be would you would expect and thanks to most being right hand drive we in the UK race mostly race clockwise.. (Australian cars are also right hand drive by the way) Europe has two great Speedways ready and waiting for somebody like NASCAR to use them. Both bulit to host Champcar they are to the standards you would expect in the States.
Does Europe really need NASCAR? .. some would argue not with series like F1, A1GP, DTM and the WTCC to name but a few based here… But NASCAR is something different and that is what will sell tickets here.
Old 4 Aug 2008, 12:39 (Ref:2263174)   #25
fieldodreams79
Veteran

United States
The Dirty South
i reckon the Aussies i've come to know over the years are the exception to the norm. the V8 supercar series would not even be threatened in the least bit by NASCAR racing one race, which is what we would be talking about. they could even share the weekend, giving an opportunity for guys races in both races.

No need for the lecture on motor racing history, oval tracks in europe and letting me know who all drives on the wrong side of the car. i realize that many of the first speedways/board tracks were in europe and like brooklands, most have been closed or abandoned, leaving the two new tracks you mentioned, which have hosted less than a handful of "american" racing series.

my reasonings may be wrong but...
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=108726
maybe we should continue this discussion here.