Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 30 Sep 2007, 18:46 (Ref:2027182)   #1
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Massa & Kubica last lap battle.. On Board Video!

Pure class.. got me interested in F1 again!

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/23...of-japanese-gp
Old 30 Sep 2007, 18:50 (Ref:2027186)   #2
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's pretty incredible. Never giving each other racing room either - usually what would be called dirty racing and almost incident certain - just proves wet gravel/grass can provide decent run off areas.

Still, a fantastic tussle.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 18:55 (Ref:2027192)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Pretty incredible!! How they didn't rub wheels and launch each other I don't know!

There seemed to be more grip off the track though!
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2027223)   #4
shhh
Veteran

Ireland
shhh has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Here it is from an outside camera angle

http://www.motorsportmad.com/view/23...tle-japan-2007
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:28 (Ref:2027228)   #5
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
There has been much said about how the constructors championship penalty for McLaren situation is sad. However it has inadvertently produced a wonderful situation whereby things like this occur- neither Ferrari's nor McLaren's drivers had to think about this championship, thus you have (well in Massa's case by this point he knew he was out of the drivers championship running anyway) the drivers able to race for the sake of the race and not the long-haul more careful approach of thinking about the championship.

And how about the battle between Hamilton and Alonso? They certainly haven't had to think about the constructors championship and talk about "us" so much anymore. Although I notice Hamilton still seems to make a point of saying that the team did a great job!
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:32 (Ref:2027230)   #6
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Wonderful battle, worth watching the race till the end.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:34 (Ref:2027232)   #7
btcckid
Racer

United Kingdom
england
btcckid should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
just like dijon 1979!
great battle-what formula 1 should be!
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:41 (Ref:2027241)   #8
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Incredible battle and Massa topped it off at the end by retaining the edge, when it looked like he was nowhere. A little bit nasty but both coming out unscathed makes it all ok.

Oh, and kudos for some excellent coverage to catch that on TV. Usually it would have been lost with Kimi and Kova, ahead, fighting for 2nd .

Last edited by Kirk; 30 Sep 2007 at 19:43.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2027265)   #9
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Just great stuff..It is racing like this that makes F1 special..
Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:02 (Ref:2027270)   #10
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
That was quite dirty on both drivers' parts, although I think there were more dirty moves from Massa in the battle than Kubica. Exciting, yes, but shoving eachother off the track is not really fair play.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 20:53 (Ref:2027309)   #11
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the onboard shows massa passing kubica, kubica repassing massa, massa going inside and forcing kubica out, kubica getting back on and forcing massa off, massa forcing kubica off, and then kubica forcing massa off. seems pretty even. heard they shook hands afterwards so it doesn't seem that they were mad at each other. looked like a great fight.
Old 30 Sep 2007, 22:16 (Ref:2027366)   #12
Hepatic
Veteran

United Kingdom
Preston-ish
Hepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHepatic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah, both as dirty as each other tbh but considering the conditions and it was the last lap, i'd let 'em go for just giving us some cracking "door banging" action for once
Old 30 Sep 2007, 22:26 (Ref:2027375)   #13
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I think both drivers slightly over-stepped the mark, but hey, they'd both had difficult races and they'd both been given drive-through penalites. Who can blame them for letting off steam with a good old-fashioned scrap for position?
Old 30 Sep 2007, 22:36 (Ref:2027385)   #14
NAC
Veteran

New Zealand
Auckland, New Zealand
NAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridNAC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"door banging" action Did these boys think they were driving tin tops.

Nice to see a superb battle. I am amazed they both held it together
Old 30 Sep 2007, 23:18 (Ref:2027408)   #15
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Dirty, not very "legal", whatever.

One thing they are: racers.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 02:15 (Ref:2027477)   #16
bestfit
Veteran

Australia
In a state of total confusion.
bestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridbestfit should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interestingly the battle wouldn't have made it past the first corner if there were gravel traps instead of the much maligned tarmac runoff areas.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 04:17 (Ref:2027514)   #17
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What a great fight, certainly came as a bit of surprise but a very welcome one. It was good to see the drivers showing such spirit and determination, a real contrast to what we have come to expect in F1, ie "I won't pass him, I'll wait for the pitstops". When you look at it in context of the tarmac run-off areas (as discussed in the main thread on the race) they weren't effectively knocking each other off the track. The fact they acknowledged each other after the race is significant also.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 04:44 (Ref:2027521)   #18
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
its more of the new fad of 2007 (thanks to tarmac runoffs) of forcing another driver off the track.

"You say potehtoe, I say potahtoe" it really was a tit for tat force-off back and forth, although it looked like Massa did the first one, prompting the return favor from Kubica--which I can understand more than initiating it ("oh yeah you s.o.b, you want to play like that, here take this...)

1979 did not involve this sort of absolute forcing off the track, this wasn't pretty and them shaking hands for me doesnt make it fine, as deliberate pushing off aint cool in my books.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 05:15 (Ref:2027531)   #19
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is the kind of racing we need to see more often! Formula 1 cars going "door to door" fighting for position. Sadly it will probably only happen in the wet, where those who believe they can go faster can...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 1 Oct 2007, 05:42 (Ref:2027545)   #20
Fiorentina 1
Veteran

United States
Calabasas Hills, California
Fiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridFiorentina 1 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
very cool!
Old 1 Oct 2007, 06:01 (Ref:2027553)   #21
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
Just great stuff..It is racing like this that makes F1 special..
Er, you mean the sort of racing you see every weekend at a Clubman meeting? In the dry.....
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 07:29 (Ref:2027587)   #22
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
After Massa pulled that first 'illegall' move I thought 'faul', but then KUbica returned... so I guess it's OK...

I mean, if Kubica didn't do the same, he'd make an official complain, and Massa would probably get penalized (no need to favour Ferrari now ).

BTW, yesterday afternoon on TV here they showed movie 'Ferrari' - near the end, there's footage of Dijon '79, and still, that looks far more racing than this Massa/Kubica...
Old 1 Oct 2007, 08:32 (Ref:2027631)   #23
spider
Veteran

England
London
spider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridspider should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Both drivers enjoyed it, was like a kart race. Great stuff...
Old 1 Oct 2007, 12:20 (Ref:2027833)   #24
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I hope Lewis and Fernando don't see the replay.
Old 1 Oct 2007, 13:16 (Ref:2027884)   #25
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Hmm how odd. It was shocking driving by both, but brilliant at the same time.

Both should be penalised for dirty driving, and a parade thrown for each.

PS It was not like Dijon though, they never forced each other the road, always leaving a 'little' racing room. Was as exciting to watch though