Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:19 (Ref:1064171)   #1
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
More Puerto Rico speculation

http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/champcar/12450/
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:42 (Ref:1064195)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Gerald Forsythe:
It looks good, but the only date we could use would be Nov. 20-21.
What's the track like? Just the word "airport" makes my mouth water!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:46 (Ref:1064200)   #3
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by macdaddy
What's the track like? Just the word "airport" makes my mouth water!

If you go to the ten-tenths affiliate site:

www.etracksonline.co.uk

I believe that the circuit is on there....if it is not in the Puerto Rico index under "North America," do a search of their article archives, because I remember seeing it in an article on their site last year as well...

The same designer who did the Cleveland layout also did Puerto Rico

and to be honest, It reminds me somewhat of Cleveland, but it does have a few differences in it...

Trans-Am supposedly had a great crowd at their inaugural event there last fall

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1064211)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Thanks, Tim.

http://www.etracksonline.co.uk/NAmerica/islagrande.html

Looks alot like Cleveland. I'd imagine that the track width would also be comparable.

This could be a great event!
Old 12 Aug 2004, 19:15 (Ref:1064226)   #5
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Speed have picked that up from today's Autosport which says it's looking very likely on the November 20/21 weekend
Old 12 Aug 2004, 19:22 (Ref:1064232)   #6
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
just read it and about to meantion the same comment. But year grea,t but will it be any good.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 20:18 (Ref:1064297)   #7
Mike_Wooshy
Veteran

England
Birmingham
Mike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMike_Wooshy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
oo this sounds good hope it goes through.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 20:43 (Ref:1064325)   #8
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Its not really like Cleveland at all, except its fairly wide, and on an airport. It is much shorter, and doesn't really have any long straight aways. The drivers will spend a lot more time cornering, and for the champ cars there won't be too many passing zones. It is much more suited for the Trans-Am cars. It will do the job though. The crowd on hand last year looked pretty good for the Trans-Am race when it was broadcast on Speed Channel.
Old 12 Aug 2004, 23:25 (Ref:1064473)   #9
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Turn 5 at Puerto Rico looks like turn 1 at Cleveland. That's where I see the similarity and really, most airports are basically the same, so the tracks on them are basically the same as well.

Not much passing you say? That's a shame, but what you say definitely makes sense
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:04 (Ref:1064530)   #10
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Yikes , that is very like Cleveland isnt it ?

Just as well "Cleveland Rocks" as Drew Carey would say

Lets hope it goes ahead
Old 13 Aug 2004, 01:05 (Ref:1064531)   #11
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
just another thought , its very small only 1.6 miles long , that seems awfully short for a road course type track
Old 13 Aug 2004, 05:49 (Ref:1064634)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
I thought of that, too. But I gotta give "two thumbs up" to any new track, with a good layout, in a great market. The shorter the layout, the greater the lapcount. The more technical the course, the more demanding the driver.

I hope that jj is wrong, in that there will indeed be passing zones for the CCars. The width of the track combined with the P2P feature might (hopefully) surprise?

Certainly nobody wants the "TBD" on the schedule to disappear!

Soeul? No. But Las Vegas! Puerto Rico!

OWRS is makin' things happen.
The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 16:38 (Ref:1065195)   #13
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
It will be probably the shortest track of the year. I think even shorter than Denver. I hope I'm wrong too, but watching Trans-Am last year, it even looked a bit small for them. I don't think there will be any straight long-enough for the Champcars to strech their legs and make good runs for a pass. Hopefully I'm wrong, we'll see, maybe.
Old 13 Aug 2004, 23:29 (Ref:1065463)   #14
Jakuzzi
Rookie

Jakuzzi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Greetings from Puerto Rico

Hi guys!!!

Let me give you my (and most of the other puerto rican fans) opinion. It's been grat news to find out that the Champ Cars may come here, since the race track will be a very good place for the Champ cars to race at.

The race track may be short(1.6 miles)but i think that tha champ cars wie able to run fast enough. The only aspect that I think will need to looked at is the run-off area on the track. Apart from that, the facilities are good and all the mayor hotels and nightclubs are next to the track.

We hope that the race comes here so we can see REAL RACING!!!
Old 13 Aug 2004, 23:55 (Ref:1065476)   #15
dubby99
Racer

dubby99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Welcome to the forum Jakuzzi.
If the champcars are racing at Puerto Rico i just hope the fans embrace the series like the canadians and mexicans.

Champcars have raced on short tracks before like the 1.677 mile old vancouver layout, but a 1.6 mile road track does sound very short for a road course.
But anyway lets go to puerto rico and add more road courses to the series
Old 14 Aug 2004, 01:22 (Ref:1065503)   #16
Omega99
Veteran

Canada
9Henday
Omega99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The Brands Hatch Indy circuit is 1.2 miles, and it wasn't the length of a lap that was the problem there. Lapped traffic would be more of a problem on a shorter circuit, for sure. As long as they can pass, it's fine by me.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 02:07 (Ref:1065523)   #17
blueflagger
Veteran

blueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridblueflagger should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cool idea. They'd have to bring in a number of workers though. The locals don't have much experience, just last year's TransAM-World Challenge event.
Old 14 Aug 2004, 07:43 (Ref:1065761)   #18
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keep in mind that one of the OWRS owners is also involved in Trans-Am (gee, I wonder which one!), so I am sure that all of the logistics needed for Puerto Rico will be worked out by then :-)
Old 14 Aug 2004, 15:20 (Ref:1066190)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I love the idea and if they do have a race there, I will go to it.

The Speed World Challenge guys loved the track and said the fans were outstanding, like the ones in Canada and Mexico are.

Technically speaking, Puerto Rico is not part of the United States, but what exactly is its status as far as travelling goes? Can you go there without a passport?