Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 15 Jan 2012, 21:09 (Ref:3012052)   #1
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Sportscars (split from GP thread)

Just realised that I wont be accepting my invitation to the GP if Im selected, its too close to the ELMS at Donington. Real racing wins every time Im afraid!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 11:49 (Ref:3012249)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by C9/89 View Post
Just realised that I wont be accepting my invitation to the GP if Im selected, its too close to the ELMS at Donington. Real racing wins every time Im afraid!
Personally I wouldn't say that was real racing either, but theres just something about the GP.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 18:10 (Ref:3012459)   #3
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Justin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJustin Moran should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I didnt mean to start a war! Marmite aside, love the stuff, and Daves aversion to any race over twenty minutes, I would have done the GP but I have to prioritise and budget accordingly. My personal preference is endurance and getting close to the cars as and when I want not when some one says I can. The open and friendly manner in which these International meetings are run is why I do them.
Have fun at the GP and I hope the weather is kinder to you all this year!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 18:26 (Ref:3012474)   #4
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
ELMS endurance = good, IMO. Unfortunately Donington have tended in the past to feel endurance applies to the marshals as well. It was the equivalent of this meeting some years ago that caused me to send my passes back, never to return, when faced with a timetable that last 38 hours over 3 days with no breaks during the days. I may risk one day...

GP, on the other hand, no thanks.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 18:30 (Ref:3012477)   #5
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
I tend to plan for little down time when I plan for a trip to Donington, but they aint the only place to "go long" on time, Silverstone has its moments as will any circuit with a late or no curfew.
But I love the race so Im prepared to put myself out for a meeting I love.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 20:00 (Ref:3012510)   #6
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Daves aversion to any race over twenty minutes,
I do, however, make an exception for NASCAR!
Old 16 Jan 2012, 21:17 (Ref:3012532)   #7
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post

You're weird.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 21:42 (Ref:3012541)   #8
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
I tend to plan for little down time when I plan for a trip to Donington, but they aint the only place to "go long" on time, Silverstone has its moments as will any circuit with a late or no curfew.
But I love the race so Im prepared to put myself out for a meeting I love.
Late or no curfews is precisely the reason I have not marshalled at Donington for over 5 years and will never ever go back, they have taken the p-ss once to often......

Bladders.....
Old 16 Jan 2012, 21:43 (Ref:3012542)   #9
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Its an opportunity to see sportscars into the evening, I'll take it.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3012557)   #10
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
However, I've diverted us off topic - sorry. Hand it back to those who will be going to the GP.
Old 16 Jan 2012, 22:10 (Ref:3012558)   #11
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
You're weird.
So, you got a problem with that?
Old 16 Jan 2012, 22:37 (Ref:3012575)   #12
Greem
Veteran

United Kingdom
Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!Greem is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
Late or no curfews is precisely the reason I have not marshalled at Donington for over 5 years and will never ever go back, they have taken the p-ss once to often......
That would be the clubs using the circuit rather than the circuit itself, right? Because the circuit doesn't run the meetings; although it has the licence and the extended hours, which is why the clubs go there.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 10:50 (Ref:3012767)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats precisely it Greem
Old 17 Jan 2012, 10:54 (Ref:3012769)   #14
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the reasons the clubs run meetings into the night is because of the cost of hiring Donny in relation to other circuits. They need to get the extra money from extra entrants to cover the cost.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 13:21 (Ref:3012840)   #15
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Its an opportunity to see sportscars into the evening, I'll take it.
Marshal at Le Mans, see sports cars in the evening and only be on duty for 8 hours in 24. Simple.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 16:29 (Ref:3012914)   #16
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
Marshal at Le Mans, see sports cars in the evening and only be on duty for 8 hours in 24. Simple.
Would love to! Cost and holidays prohibit that.

Dave, no I dont, its what makes you who you are.

And my apologies to those going to the GP, I never meant to hijack the thread.

Old 17 Jan 2012, 18:44 (Ref:3012965)   #17
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Now split, so talk as much sportscar marshalling as you like.
Old 17 Jan 2012, 19:21 (Ref:3012984)   #18
AndyT
Racer

England
Peterborough
AndyT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthportFC Fan View Post
How do you volunteer / get invited to do Le Mans. Going this year to spectate, 1st time i've paid to see a race this century
Old 17 Jan 2012, 20:50 (Ref:3013040)   #19
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andy - First have an MSA grade above trainee, then apply via the MSA to get permission to marshal abroad, include the tick box for Le Mans. You can do it online at www.msauk.org/
If I recall, it's in the changes screen. MSA will then inform ACO who in turn will send you a letter or e:mail with a registration password. The registration is now on line from 20th Jan for this year's race.

It is always advisable to team up with someone who as done it before. The Chef de Poste has the final say on who he will accept, and a reference from a Brit marshal who is already on his post is always good.

As with any marshalling abroad, be prepared for it to be different, when in Rome is a good motto.
l
Old 18 Jan 2012, 09:11 (Ref:3013264)   #20
Mike Kelly 1
Veteran

England
Poole, Dorset (Scouser in exile!)
Mike Kelly 1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
NASCAR is like watching the M25!

For a real endurance race (with more than 55 cars!) then the Nurburgring 24 hours is THE race. Lowest grid i've seen in the last 8 years has been 215 cars!

Mike Kelly - Patron saint of public houses!
Old 18 Jan 2012, 17:59 (Ref:3013642)   #21
Justin Moran
Veteran

UK-ROI
St Helens
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Now split, so talk as much sportscar marshalling as you like.
Thanks Woolley, makes much sense.
Le Mans = Real cars, real racing, just now with less added Peugeot.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 00:29 (Ref:3013850)   #22
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Well, you wouldn't want the French involved in what is essentially a British branch of the sport.

Hmmm, think there might be a flaw in that argument somewhere.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 08:24 (Ref:3013961)   #23
rbs
Veteran

England
northampton
rbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrbs should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
You could go to Le Mans for the Classic as well, it's the same weekend as the GP so no clash of interest there.
Old 19 Jan 2012, 08:54 (Ref:3013968)   #24
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For foreign events, how do you manage the language barrier? Is it true that the German organisers of the 'ring use more English than the French do at Le Mans?

The USA is probably less of a problem provided you don't ask someone for a fag in between races ...
Old 19 Jan 2012, 09:48 (Ref:3014001)   #25
alan-g
Racer

alan-g should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
sportscars

For foreign events, how do you manage the language barrier?

Speak loudly................in English of course!