Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:09 (Ref:338764)   #1
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schummy did NOT deserve this win

Schummy got lucky. if the marshals had done their job and waved the oil flags then we would not have this farce. Schummy did nothing to deserve this win.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:10 (Ref:338768)   #2
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
.....i ought to calm down, sorry Inigo if you read this, apologies.

Last edited by Mr V; 21 Jul 2002 at 14:12.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:12 (Ref:338771)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
If my aunt had balls she would be my uncle
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:13 (Ref:338774)   #4
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Schumacher was lucky that Kimi locked up, but he was clever enough to exploit the opportunity and drive the young Finn to the outside on the exit of the adelaide turn. Winning is BOTh luck and skill. Today, Schumacher had both.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:15 (Ref:338775)   #5
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
ok firstly the marshals WERE doing their job. It is often very difficult to identify oil on circuit unless you're standing right on top of it. Try it sometime. They had the yellows out and yellows clearly show that there is danger on the track. It is is the responsibility of the driver to slow to a safe speed and take avoiding action where necessary. If they leave it too late to do that because they are more interested in the race, then whatever happens to them is their own fault.

Secondly, you do NOT wave oil flags in any case. You may occasionally move them up and down vertically if the oil is very bad, but you do NOT wave them because when waved, they appear to a driver as being either a yellow or a red flag.

Last edited by EvilPumpkin; 21 Jul 2002 at 14:16.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:16 (Ref:338776)   #6
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
I agree with EERO, one can say he was 'lucky' enough to be there and capitilize on the mistake by Kimi. Sorry my earlier reply was a bit childish.... but im happy happy

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:25 (Ref:338794)   #7
Number Juan
Veteran

Tajikstan
Sussex, UK
Number Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
its one of those "schumacher moments" when he wins something and dubiously. just put your hands up and say if he wasn't gonna do it today, he'd certainly do it in a week's time.

it takes a hell of a driver to react so quickly to a rapidly changing situation, c'mon give the guy some credit - he's won 5 world championships!!!

Here must all distrust be left;
All cowardice must here be dead
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:28 (Ref:338798)   #8
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Re: Schummy did NOT deserve this win

Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
if the marshals had done their job and waved the oil flags then we would not have this farce.
How much marshaling experience do you have Down F0rce? Probably none...

During an incident such as McNish's it is difficult to tell if there is oil on the circuit. With most marshaling posts are located for safety you usually get a very low angle of view of the actual circuit. Unfortunately oil is very similar in colour to tarmac and can be difficult to spot when it's on the circuit. (Time for bright red oil?) Infact sometimes it's only when someone hits it and spins or goes off for some reason that one can tell there is fluid on the track.

I'm reminded of a conversation had with a driver recently who came off into the gravel trap after hitting oil that was not visible from either the flag or marshals post:

Driver: "I came off because of the oil! Why was the oil flag not displayed?, I saw the oil three laps ago, you're not doing your job"
Marshal: "If you saw the oil three laps ago why did you hit it?"

Look up your FIA regulations (Appendix H): - Yellow Flags - Double waved: Reduce your speed, do not overtake and be prepared to change direction or stop. There is a hazard wholly or partly blocking the track.

While I'm sure everyone will quote the "do not overtake" in this case the be prepared to change direction or stop. There is a hazard wholly or partly blocking the track. so Kimi should have been aware of something ON the track as well as McNish's car which was in a head-on position.

Before you criticise the marshals, please come down and marshal at your local circuit for a few events, they will be more than happy to show you how to enjoy a real close-up view of motorsport and perhaps you'll get a better understanding of the conditions we work under.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 14:28 (Ref:338799)   #9
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Schu didn't deserve it coming from that far back!!! What the hell were the other drivers doing to allow that?????

Sour grapes, I feel, on the part of some people......
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:09 (Ref:338837)   #10
Powered by JPM
Racer

Powered by JPM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by EERO
Winning is BOTh luck and skill.
Amen.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:24 (Ref:338856)   #11
freud
Veteran

freud has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Ron Dennis: "Kimi entered a yellow flag zone and Michael overtook before there was a green one to let him pass.

"The regulation is explicit - and Kimi was overtaken under a yellow flag."

Dennis said it was not up to him to make a protest - but that the race stewards should investigate the incident themselves.

The controversy means that Schumacher's fifth title remains in doubt until the stewards rule on whether the German made a legal pass.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:31 (Ref:338867)   #12
Mania
Veteran

Mania should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silly topic. Ill just leave it at that. Some people need to look in the mirror and smile once in a while instead of blaming everything on Michael Schumacher.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:36 (Ref:338875)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
He was lucky this time. He found himself behind not the most experienced driver. DC or JPM would have not made this mistake, but we'll never know.

Schumi can rest now. He can let the others win.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:36 (Ref:338876)   #14
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!EvilPumpkin is going for a new world record!
I do blame him for that l'oreal hair colour thing that went wrong.....
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:38 (Ref:338879)   #15
EvilPumpkin
CCNA
Royalridge Computing
A LARGE Teapot
Veteran

Ireland
Jordi, I'm not so sure about that. There have been a great deal of silly mistakes made over the last couple of GPs by drivers you wouldn't expect it from.

Four drivers got done today for the white line penalty and at least 3 of them should have known better.

It's the luck of the draw.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:39 (Ref:338880)   #16
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kimi made a mistake, it's as simple as that, I don't think there was any oil in that particular corner.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 15:43 (Ref:338884)   #17
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
.....i ought to calm down, sorry Inigo if you read this, apologies.
I didn't read it. But I'm sure you made a valid point
Old 21 Jul 2002, 17:25 (Ref:338974)   #18
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Schumi drives without honor, I think that's clear to everyone except the damn Tifosi with their rose-colored glasses. Kimi would have been totally justified turning right into Schumacher as he was forced clean off the racing surface. It's the same kind of underhanded garbage driving that won him his first championship, and he hoped would win him his third in '97.

He had this championship won at Interlagos when the F2002 debuted. But that kind of move just taints all his accomplishments. Blocking's as much a skill as passing, something I always admired Senna for... But you _don't_ deliberatly use your car to force another driver off the pavement... That's just plain dangerous!

Last edited by Lee Janotta; 21 Jul 2002 at 17:26.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 17:28 (Ref:338976)   #19
freud
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Jordi

Schumi can rest now. He can let the others win.
LOL..how can he!!! Ferrari is 'floating' soon... They are already on NASDAQ.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 17:36 (Ref:338978)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I was more angered by the way Schumacher barged Kimi onto the grass, seemed somewhat over - aggressive.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 17:47 (Ref:338983)   #21
mjstallard
Veteran

England
London
mjstallard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I thought it was a fitting way for Schumi to win his 5th championship...

Given Big Ron's statement, I think he knows the futility of lodging a protest over the whole incident now - I can't see anyone at the FIA deciding to go with the embarassment of even having the outcome of today's race in "official" doubt. But it was a nice piece of Ronspeak to raise the point

Poor old Kimi...won me over totally today he did, perhaps this weekend marks a coming of age for him. Lets hope that Mac can be like it was today a few more times this season.

And to be a conspiracy theorist (please guys, don't kill me too much, I'm probably very very wrong on this, and I'm not trying to be tooooo anti Schumi), was it just me, or did the stewards seem to take a bit longer in reaching their decision over TGF's drive through penalty than the others today?

But yeah, I don't want to take anything away from Schumi. He's been the best this year, and deserves this one. I think.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 17:48 (Ref:338984)   #22
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
but that was caused by Kimi trying to get back in the race in a hurry, TGF could'nt have taken another line there without slowing down completely.
Old 21 Jul 2002, 18:00 (Ref:338991)   #23
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Usual TGF bashing... <yawn>
Old 21 Jul 2002, 18:01 (Ref:338992)   #24
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Kimi made a mistake, it's as simple as that, I don't think there was any oil in that particular corner.
On SPEED, who incidentally get the world feed, they showed a close-up of the back of McNish's car just after he spun out and there was a lot of oil coming out. One can only presume that it got on the track also.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 21 Jul 2002, 18:01 (Ref:338993)   #25
freud
Veteran

*Inigo firmly back in his pre-austria mode*.