Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Jul 2000, 21:56 (Ref:23374)   #1
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This is from Autosport.com

Brazilian Ricardo Zonta qualified sixth, one place ahead of his team mate Jacques Villeneuve, to record BAR’s best team qualifying performance this season.
However, while he is looking for results to put himself back in the shop window after a disappointing season, he accepted he may have to give way to the Canadian.

If this is true, isn't BAR putting Zonta in a difficult position?
Here's a guy, doing not so well, maybe even on the point of being sacked and probably without a drive for next season.
He's certainly looking for a good result (results always count), he finally qualified in a good position, and now he may be asked to give way to his team mate.
Or is this a sign BAR has already made up their minds and decided there is no place with them for Zonta next year?
Old 15 Jul 2000, 22:14 (Ref:23377)   #2
SL
Veteran

SL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

This would be a hard one, sure JV has been the quickest driver in F1, but Zonta has had his fair share of wins in other events.
Surely any team manager would see if Zonta moves over to let JV though, it has been done before.

All RZ has to do is wait until orders come though. He can then 'play deaf' and be sacked, hold up JV & be sacked, race as hard as possible and be sacked or stall at the start and let JV run into him and be sacked. #

Some choice.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 22:16 (Ref:23378)   #3
RIKB
Veteran

RIKB should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If the team have decided, and even told him that he will not be with them next year, then he might just as well drive for himself rather than the team.
Old 15 Jul 2000, 22:59 (Ref:23386)   #4
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing

Somehow, I don't think this will be an issue. I think our Jacques is focussing on getting ahead of Trulli and MS at the start.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 01:59 (Ref:23438)   #5
Sharky
Veteran

Sharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSharky should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That makes no sense. After all, It's not like Jaques is on the fight for the championship!! If Zonta is gonna leave BAR and F1 he might as well leave it knowing that he managed to beat Jaques...at least once.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 02:55 (Ref:23447)   #6
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I'm with Sharky, JV may be the No. 1, but its not as though it matters in the WDC. I thing Zonta is finally showing his true abilities to F1,
Let's notforget that even a driver as illustious as Lauda was pretty slow when compared to his teammate Peterson at March in 1972.

Zonta should drive his own race, no matter what BAR says.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 03:08 (Ref:23452)   #7
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that Jacques and Pollock ganged up on Zonta to destabilize him last year in anticipation that he would be faster than Jacques if given equal equipment? And remember that Honda said that this would not be tolerated this year and that they would provide a special "handler" to make sure it did not happen?

Well, I think it's happened. And with Jacques playing "coy boy" about whether he'll stay or not, it would be utterly useless to make Ricardo get behind him just for the sake of showing that he can be just as difficult and insecure as TGF.

Zonta should just race. If anyone asks him about team orders, he should look confused.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 04:41 (Ref:23458)   #8
Unknown Soldier
Racer

Unknown Soldier should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta should give the DC salute if their are team orders.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 09:04 (Ref:23461)   #9
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
I sincerely hope this will not eventuate. I can't see in what circumstance Zonta could possibly be asked to move aside for Jacques. BUT as I said before, I don't think this will eventuate.
Old 16 Jul 2000, 09:27 (Ref:23465)   #10
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Zonta is unsatisfied with team, as he already spoke before the Monaco GP. But what amazes me is that he doesn't seem worried to make a move. And now he talks about teams orders... is this guy crazy ?
He just have to push and make the race of his life !
Old 16 Jul 2000, 15:23 (Ref:23502)   #11
Gerard
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Gerard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unknown Soldier wrote:

Quote:
Zonta should give the DC salute if there are team orders.
Well, he did give the 'DC salute', although not for team orders, but because he was almost struck by the tractor's lever when leaving his stranded car.

Old 16 Jul 2000, 23:52 (Ref:23572)   #12
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Zonta's dad should buy him a better drive.
Old 17 Jul 2000, 03:59 (Ref:23610)   #13
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jacques had been having trouble with the car all session. And it was an excellent lap by Zonta. Too bad he had to blow it all in the race.

I still don't think that Zonta was ever faster than Villenevue, they have not been near each other in the timings since the team began.
Old 18 Jul 2000, 22:30 (Ref:23978)   #14
Roy2
Racer

Roy2 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Liz,
What are your sources for the allegation that Pollock and Villeneuve ganged up on Zonta to destabilize him, and that Honda have stated they won't let it happen again? You've asked us to remember it, but this is news to me.

It seems to me that if he became destablized, it was in the same way that Frenzen became destablized - by Villeneuve blowing his doors off.

I agree though, that Zonta should drive the BAR as though his career depended on it, which it might. If he really can outqualify and outdrive Villeneuve, this is the time to do it.

Old 19 Jul 2000, 11:41 (Ref:24094)   #15
downforce
Veteran

India
Bangalore
downforce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
low downforce.....

Regarding the Crane which forced Zonta into the DC salute...ITV says the crane-driver was a MS fan....chuckle chuckle!!

Put Jacque in a Mac!!