Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:38 (Ref:1964426)   #1
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Honda Charity Open Day

Did anyone else here go yesterday? (15/07)

It was a great day, apparently 32,000 people paid to go and look around the factory and all the side shows.

All the proceeds are going to local charities a Kids Hospice and a local pre-school.

I signed on to do a really cool thing...I was left hand rear wheel gun man in the Pit stop challenge! They used a current livered Honda F1 car, which has been converted to take a Honda Quadbike engine and gearbox, which the team use to train on. The driver was a Honda 'stig' a crew man in a Jenson suit and helmet.

I have to say it was the best value for £5 I've ever laid out! We got a proper briefing from Alister Gibson, who expalined that no other F1 team has ever allowed members of the public to do this before. Adding that the car will drive into the box after several laps of the car park at the normal F1 pit stop speed...so it was pretty authentic...except for the odd exhaust note!
After being kitted out with team radios, helmets and gloves, we were given individual training for our respective tasks by Honda mechanics, then after about 8 static goes, we had 6 puka action pit stops. The wheel has to locate onto 4 pegs on the hub, and the wheel gun is far, far heavier than I expected, it's a pretty solidly made bit of kit! You have to reverse the direction from wheel nut off to on and then pull the safety lock and put your hand on top of the tyre to show the lollypop man you're done.
Glad to report I was never the last wheel guy to finish, which was cool, but it isn't as easy as it looks on TV, the car doesn't quite stop in the same place each time, and my 'old' ticker' was revving quite high, and it's hot in a balaclava and full face helmet!
I'm glad to report the crew I was in set the fastest time of the day! And I've got the skin burn on my knee, blister on my hand and aching hamstrings this morning to prove it!

I sat in on one of Murray Walker's interviews (with AD) Jenson was there as was Gil de Ferran, Christian Klien, Mike Conway, James Rossiter, & David Brabham.

The Model making deptment was really interesting.

They were raffling loads of stuff, drivers racewear, helmets and overalls right up to a Honda Jazz Car, which again for a 'fiver' was a must!

I also entered the 'Guess the weight' of an F1 engine made entirely out of Chocolate! Hope I don't win that tho!!!

Anthony won the Scalextric final (again) perhaps that's more his size of racing? Hehe
Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1964432)   #2
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sounds like a great day!

This is the first i'd heard of it though. Would've liked to have gone
Old 16 Jul 2007, 20:58 (Ref:1965125)   #3
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Opps that should have read 4,500 people! Forgot to edit it in time.

It was like a Goodwood atmosphere. More teams should do it, even if they kept the dosh, I'm sure they would be very popular as the Honda event was.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 21:19 (Ref:1965150)   #4
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I was lucky enough to have a private tour of the factory some years ago and its certainly an eye opener. Glad you had such a great day Rennen and we look forward to you sharing the chocolate if you win!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 08:58 (Ref:1966368)   #5
zac510
Veteran

zac510 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any picture galleries around?
Old 18 Jul 2007, 09:59 (Ref:1966403)   #6
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wanted to go but had other commitments on that day - but surprised they made Rennen pay!! I'd have thought you'd get a special deal, really wish I had reorganised what I was doing and attended now.
Old 18 Jul 2007, 11:22 (Ref:1966454)   #7
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I dare say it was because it was a charity day!
Old 18 Jul 2007, 11:24 (Ref:1966457)   #8
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
hee hee I know but charity is meant to start at home
Old 18 Jul 2007, 12:07 (Ref:1966480)   #9
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honda Charity Day

This is a urgent plea on behalf of the Honda F1 Charity.

We desperately need money to help save an F1 team!

Just £10000 could pay the hospitality bill for a weekend for 1 person

Just £1000000 could refurbish our Motorhome for welcoming guests and sponsors

Just £10M could buy us a top line driver to replace Rubens.

Just £100M could buy us a customer car (Ferrari or Mclaren) which we could re-badge as a Honda and pretend is ours.

please help before its too late!

Old 18 Jul 2007, 12:22 (Ref:1966500)   #10
fraggs
Racer

England
Bedford, UK
fraggs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://www.flickr.com/photos/renault...7600838153474/ <-- a few shots that I took while I was there.

there's a few other sets on flickr from other users that were there..

http://www.flickr.com/photos/natlock...7600840537598/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/forevertemporary/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/sidepod...7600873539237/

Was a well spent £15 entry fee...

And I know I'm incredibly lucky as this is the second tour of an F1 team that I've done..

I was lucky enough to go round Enstone last November...And cameras were allowed on that trip..

This is my enstone album http://www.flickr.com/photos/renault...7594377934111/