Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: trackrooms.co.uk Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Trackside

Old 10 Nov 2002, 13:36 (Ref:425722)   #1
Bostik
Racer

Bostik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
So you want to be an F1 driver?

Finally, a realistic opportunity for the ordinary man or woman in the street (as opposed to the sponsored driver), who believes they may have what it takes to race at the highest levels - if only they could be offered a chance.

You may well be cynical, and have heard about all sorts of rip-offs. But you can check the authenticity of this in Nov 7-13 Exchange & Mart (a UK publication) - where you will find all the details and the application form.

I'll give you the ouline here, to save you shopping unneccesarily.

It's called 'The 2003 Exchange & Mart UK F1 Drivers Challenge', and really is quite an extraordinary opportunity.

Open to over 17 and under 49 year olds - but no applications will be accepted from holders of current motor racing licences.

The idea is to assess capability - through basic fitness / suitability tests, then via karts, saloons, F.Renault, Sports2000, F3, and then in a proper (i.e. no electronic aids and a proper gearbox) GP car - an ex-Martin Brundle Tyrrell 012 (1985).

The winner will race the Tyrrell at Monza next May, and because the whole thing goes out on prime time TV - she or he will likely become a celebrity, and find it much easier than others to attract sponsorship should they choose to pursue a competitive racing career. They will also benefit from a long term management contract with 'Essentially Sport', with a view to promoting them into F1 over a seven year period. These guys know what they are about - they also manage Colin McRae and Jenson Button.

I know you wont believe this - but if you are seriously interested in finding a way into motor racing, or you have a relative or friend who might have what it takes, then simply check it out with the Exchange & Mart.

Assessents - Feb3/4 - Worcester Rugby Club - 1000 entrants.
Karting - Feb 6/7 - Birmingham - 250 entrants
Saloon Cars - Feb 14 - Croft - 60 entrants
Single Seaters - Feb 20th - Thruxton - 20 entrants
Sports2000 - Feb 28th - Pembrey - 12 entrants
Formula 3 - Feb 28th - Pembrey - 3 entrants
F1 Test - Silverstone - March
TGP Race - Monza - Winner

The good news is that it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to enter (a nominal £5.50 to cover the costs of administration).

If you cannot find a copy of the Exchange & Mart - then there is information on 0905 161 4000 ( be warned - its 50p per minute).

I realise you may not believe this - but don't say you weren't told. See you at Monza!
Old 11 Nov 2002, 03:00 (Ref:426098)   #2
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem I have with all of these things is how can anyone possibly believe that they might have what it takes if they have never raced before.

Talent is only a small part of what it takes to get to the top of the sport. Hard work, guts and determination are at least as important. If you had enough of these you would have already found your way into the sport at club level and thus excluded yourself from eligibility for this competition.
Old 11 Nov 2002, 09:30 (Ref:426239)   #3
Chris Griffin
Racer

England
Theale, Berkshire, UK
Chris Griffin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't this post be better in the F1 Forum or just pulled alltogether?
Old 11 Nov 2002, 13:21 (Ref:426373)   #4
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
woodyracing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: So you want to be an F1 driver?

Quote:
Originally posted by Bostik
Open to over 17 and under 49 year olds..

They will also benefit from a long term management contract with 'Essentially Sport', with a view to promoting them into F1 over a seven year period.
so someone whos 48 could enter, and after a 7 year period get into F1 when they are 55 year old ???

hmm..
Old 11 Nov 2002, 15:44 (Ref:426452)   #5
josvandeperre
Veteran

England
Central London
josvandeperre should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
there's hope for me yet !!!!!!!!!!!
Old 13 Nov 2002, 03:13 (Ref:427492)   #6
Evilsenna
Racer

Evilsenna should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Why am I in the wrong country...
Old 22 Nov 2002, 11:51 (Ref:434564)   #7
Baritone24

trust me its not just you

Old 1 Dec 2002, 23:46 (Ref:440809)   #8
Spider-Dan
Rookie

Spider-Dan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This would be a great oppurtunity for those who always wanted to race, but didn't have the funds to do so. Too bad that I am living on the wrong side of the pond...

Dan
Old 2 Dec 2002, 14:09 (Ref:441129)   #9
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
It probably wont happen like all the other F1 scholorships.
I could be wrong, but id be suprised if it did run all the way (or even at all).
Old 2 Dec 2002, 15:11 (Ref:441153)   #10
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was'nt there another thread about this in its previous incarnation somewhere?
Old 2 Dec 2002, 19:29 (Ref:441323)   #11
coolerking
Rookie

coolerking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well i think its a golden opportunity for someone with real talent to get noticed , thats whats its all about , its not a scholarship , where you pay for each round you progress too.The only problem i can see is seperating the tv wannabee s from real talented drivers struggling for a chance to shine on the track. coolerking
Old 3 Dec 2002, 08:50 (Ref:441623)   #12
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
DAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDAVID PATERSON should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
The problem, as I stated before, is that this is designed to cater exclusively for people with no experience at all.

Talent is all well and good, but experience and determoination are at least as useful, and the winner of this competition will ot have enough of either, so I'm condfident 3 years from no the winner of this competition will be an obscure nobody.

What also puzzles me is the number of people with no experience who seem to believe that given the oppurtunity, they might have what it takes. If you have never tried, then surely you have no idea how good you are and thus nothing at all upon which to base this tremendous confidence.
Old 3 Dec 2002, 10:01 (Ref:441644)   #13
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Anyone know where the original thread that pertained to this went? I just did a search but could'nt find it. Im sure the general opinion was rather low of the competion, I think some 10/10thers had registered for it.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 10:41 (Ref:442415)   #14
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Here was the last one.

Note the prize on this latest competition is a race in a 1985 Tyrrell, so that means its going to be in something like the Euro BOSS F1 or TGP series and not the main FIA world F1 championship.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 11:47 (Ref:442464)   #15
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Nice one woody, but that was'nt the one. The one Im talking about was the orgiginal incarnation of this Tyrrel F1 thing. I paid the 5 quid registration out of curiosity and after a few months of non-activity received an avalanche of emails from irate people who had signed up, & who were all conversing with each other about what a bunch of arse it was. Then it went quiet until I saw the thing about Exchange n Mart.
Old 4 Dec 2002, 14:46 (Ref:442602)   #16
woodyracing
Veteran

United Kingdom
uk
Re: So you want to be an F1 driver?

ah ok, Ive not heard of it before.

also on to some more points,,

Quote:
Originally posted by Bostik
The idea is to assess capability - through basic fitness / suitability tests, then via karts, saloons, F.Renault, Sports2000, F3, and then in a proper (i.e. no electronic aids and a proper gearbox) GP car - an ex-Martin Brundle Tyrrell 012 (1985).

The winner will race the Tyrrell at Monza next May
like why would the driver need to test in saloons and Sports2000 to drive a single seater, and also thats a whole lot of testing/competing to be done by next May..
Old 6 Dec 2002, 03:22 (Ref:443872)   #17
DAVID PATERSON
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Qld, Australia
They will test a lot of people in cheap, simple cars initially while they cull the herd. As the numbers get down, they will be tested in more expensive/tricky racing cars.
Old 3 Feb 2003, 11:15 (Ref:494692)   #18
coolerking
Rookie

coolerking should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well its the first round of the "2003 Exchange and Mart F1 drivers challenge" today, where 1000 hopefuls will be put through their paces, lets have some feedback from poeple who took part and their opinion's. cooler
Old 3 Feb 2003, 13:54 (Ref:494868)   #19
Nicholas
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nicholas should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've heard of a similar thing a couple of years ago, I think ITV was promoting it on their website and they were going to broadcast it. I think that might be the one Ghinzani is referring to.
Classic Eddie Irvine moments, #1
Interviewer: "Why has Schumacher got an odd shaped helmet?" Eddie: "Because he's German, he's got an odd shaped head"
Old 5 Feb 2003, 09:17 (Ref:497047)   #20
yetanotherdave
Rookie

yetanotherdave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I went along as one of the 1000 on Monday. My impressions were good, they aren't exepcting anyone to turn up and immediately be as quick as Michael Schumacher, instead they want the person who has the most all round potential for not only driving but also PR, fitness, understanding of strategy, ability to work under pressure, etc. They suggested that the winner would be very well trained and supported rather than being dropped into a race car and expected to win from the start

I'm going to Round 2 tomorrow (Thursday) and will post an update afterwards
Old 12 Feb 2003, 13:36 (Ref:504432)   #21
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any updates then? I'm curious to hear!
Old 12 Feb 2003, 13:59 (Ref:504460)   #22
yetanotherdave
Rookie

Tragically I got eliminated! They also pointed out that we all signed confidentiality clauses at round 1 and that they had seen some posts on the net (not this one) that they weren't at all happy with. I understand that the programme goes out on a Tuesday at 8.30 pm starting in April, so not long before all is revealed!
Old 15 Feb 2003, 16:17 (Ref:507682)   #23
Bostik
Racer

Cynics? Its really happening!

When I started this discussion forum back in November, in order to alert some of you to the opportunity, I didn't realise people could be so cynical. I guess the problem is that most competitions of this sort are typically aimed at reasonably wealthy racers who will part with anything from £250 - £1500 because they believe that they are good enough to win, and the high entry fees are designed to pay for the whole competition.
This event was conceived by people that really do know what its like to have to work hard to find the money go racing - the hard way. The idea here was to offer the ordinary guy in the street a real opportunity - for silly money (£5.50).
The competition is now down to the last 20, after a long day at Croft last week. Interestingly, there were a few 'racers' in the competition (without current licences - as per the rules), but they are all out now. That's because the fitness requirements were so high, as was the standard of driving at Croft.
Will be interesting to see how they go in proper racing cars now (F3). I have no clue if they will be good enough - but at least they entered with the right positive, can do attitude. The 20 that are left are brilliant - very fit, lots of natural talent, brains, motivation and control. Looks very interesting - and they are clearly not getting ripped off at £5.50.
Here's the Sunday People:
REVVED UP: BUTTON JOINS HUNT FOR A NEW F1 STAR
REVVED UP can exclusively reveal that Jenson Button is looking for the next British new Formula One star.

After the success of shows like Fame Academy and Pop Stars The Rivals, TV bosses have brought the format to motor racing - and called it 'So You Want To Be An F1 Driver'.

The programme will start in April on Five, and the winner will drive off with a multi-million pound contract with top F1 management team Essentially Sport.

Button will be on the panel and the winner will get:

A seven-year motor racing deal worth millions.

A test in an F3 car.

Links with Renault F1 team, Ford Motorsport, BMW and Michelin.

Media training and management.

And a personal trainer and fitness instructors.

Button told Revved Up: "It is so many people's dream to be in Formula One and this is a chance to see if they are good enough.

"It will be interesting to see what kind of talent is out there. One thing is certain - they will learn a hell of a lot from the experience.

"The show is going to be brilliant because it will show the public what you need to go through to make it and it will help promote the lesser Formulas.

"I think the fitness aspect is really going to shock viewers and the competitors will find it hard to drive the F3 cars.

"Obviously speed is a huge aspect but the competitors need to relax and be smooth with the car and that applies all the way up to F1. It will be interesting to see who looks for help from me and takes time to understand the car."

There were nearly 3,000 entries to the Exchange & Mart UK F1 Driver Challenge with the contestants ranging in age from 17 to 49.

After everyone gave a short presentation about themselves the numbers were cut to 1,000, which is where ex-Royal Marine Bernie Shrosbree and Button's trainer came in for the fitness element.

The competitors were put through their paces and after two days, 24 hours of training and bucketloads of sweat, the numbers were cut down to 250. Shrosbree said: "Fitness is not the be-all and end all of motor racing but it helped us see who would be able to compete.

"It was amazing how many of them were physically sick.

"It's not about the fittest person but someone who can take instructions while being placed under a huge amount of physical stress. When you are in an F1 car there is a lot of strain on your neck, arms and back. If you are not prepared you have no chance.

"When we work with Jenson he is doing three to four-hour bike rides and it is a good time for him to switch off from the other worries he has in the world. It shouldn't be a case of Jenson not wanting to train because you won't get anything out of that, but he understands why he is doing it and finds it enjoyable.

"That is what I will be doing with the competitors. When there are fewer of them I will be giving them individual programmes.

"They will all have to be really committed if they want to win."

A grand prix karting track in Birmingham is where it all starts with 250 hopefuls racing over two days while panellists Button, Tiff Needell, John Byfield, Shrosbree and presenter Vicki Butler-Henderson decide who's got it - and who hasn't.

During the six shows, screened from April on midweek prime-time slots, the numbers will keep falling from 250 to 60 until there are only 12 left. Then the going gets really tough.

Five cameras will follow them from track to track where they will be racing in Formula Zip cars, Formula Renault and touring cars until they have at last been whittled down to just two finalists.

Byfield, the chairman of Essentially Sport, said: "It's a gamble on our part with the amount of money involved. But sport is a gamble.

"I think it will help drivers who haven't had the chance to shine and hopefully the winner will go on to be very successful.

"The winner is not going to come out of this and go straight into Formula One but with help from us and a lot of hard work, who knows what may happen?"
Old 18 Feb 2003, 18:17 (Ref:510751)   #24
yetanotherdave
Rookie

My view, which was shared by many of the people I spoke to on my two days in the competition was that the very least anyone taking part would get out of it would be an interesting and unique experience which would stay with me for some time.

At the other end of the scale, even if you accept that it is incredibly difficult for even long established racers to get into F1, the liklihood is that the ultimate winner will find a way into paid racing of some kind. In this respect the opportunity is one of a massive boost up the ladder and I think most of not all of us would rather be racing in touring cars, GTs or whatever rather than doing the 9-5 at the factories and offices we currently spend our days in.

I spoke to some of the organisers (several of them very successful racers) while I was there and was suprised at how much interest and support there was even during the very early stages when there were hundreds left in the game

If this is run again next year then I strongly recommend anyone to give it a go
Old 18 Feb 2003, 19:33 (Ref:510823)   #25
Bostik
Racer

Good for you, 'yetanotherdave'.
You obviously have a positive, 'can do' attitude, and made the effort - instead of sitting back like others and wingeing about what a con it all must be.
Congratulations!