Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Closed Thread

Old 26 May 2008, 23:06 (Ref:2212622)   #1
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Do You Work in motorsport with your other half?

Just a quick question....call me nosey...call me what you like, but im trying to gauge something and just wanna do another one of those poll type things...only...well ...with more comment.

Do you work with your other half in Motorsport?, be it racing or out on post ..or say even Race Control. Do you find it works?..do you find it gets in the way....have you ever had say a "conflict of Interest".

My motives are simple enough ..im just curious if anyone has found that having a relationship with someone caused any problems

Thanks in advance for any info
Old 27 May 2008, 06:22 (Ref:2212740)   #2
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
You looking for advice on divorce?

This is possibly better served in Marshals because nobody who posts here works, either during the week or at weekends.
Old 27 May 2008, 07:19 (Ref:2212766)   #3
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I work in Race Admin/Race Control (plus pits/paddock/assembly/startline where necc!) and OH works outside - pits/paddock/assembly/startline.

Most clubs are glad to get a BOGOF!!

Never had any problems at all, but we are careful to avoid domestic "type" bickering when there are others around!
Old 27 May 2008, 08:01 (Ref:2212792)   #4
Lord Summerisle
Veteran

England
Lancs
Lord Summerisle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Lady S and I try to be together on post, tho only at hillclimbs, as she doesnt like circuits.
At Loton Park we are usually manning the post between us, just toss a coin in the morning to see who does the radio, and who flags.

TBH - we generally have no problems and like the time together, gives us chance to natter.
Old 27 May 2008, 08:41 (Ref:2212813)   #5
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!MartinSmith has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piglet

Most clubs are glad to get a BOGOF!!
Thats interesting and kinda what Im trying to understand....how the organising club/event organisers perceive volenteers who may have a friendship/relationship/marraige outside Motorsport as well as work together within.

Peter ....Im not looking for advice on divorce...are you saying you are good at it??..thanks for moving it to the Marshals Forum for me

Last edited by MartinSmith; 27 May 2008 at 08:49.
Old 27 May 2008, 08:50 (Ref:2212821)   #6
Piglet
Veteran

Piglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridPiglet should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I see it as a bonus, if you travel as a couple there are fewer outside pressures ("you're going away this weekend AS WELL?!"), we spend time together, so are more likely to do more events.
Old 27 May 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2212867)   #7
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The years I've been in motorsport and the couples I have known,have always worked well together.As has been said,if they are both at the same venue,so much the better.No pressure to dash off as soon as the circuit is "Dead".I suppose there could be some who would see only what they want to see though,usually narrow minded people who cannot see the benefits of a couple working side by side.!
Old 27 May 2008, 10:16 (Ref:2212873)   #8
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I consider myself very lucky in that my Wife Elaine also Marshals - sometimes we're both in Race Control, with me Clerking & she on the phones or radio, and other times we do different things, like this weekend @ Mallory she was Observing whilst I was Chief Obs. It means I never get any grief for being away 40 weekends a year. Occasionally we're at different venues but that's rare, although she'll always go for Mallory if there's a meeting on (bikes or cars) if I'm the MSA Steward at a Kart event!
Old 27 May 2008, 11:24 (Ref:2212916)   #9
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fat Clerk
I consider myself very lucky in that my Wife Elaine also Marshals - sometimes we're both in Race Control, with me Clerking & she on the phones or radio, and other times we do different things........
FC....I have worked with you both several times in Race Control and havent noticed any but can you confiirm, was there, or has there ever been, or have you ever been told that, there were "perceptions of favouritism, nepotism and possible loss of clarity in the chain of command" ? have you witnessed any of the above while working in Race Control by anyone else?

Last edited by MartinSmith; 27 May 2008 at 11:30.
Old 27 May 2008, 11:35 (Ref:2212926)   #10
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This is a really random topic.

Can I ask why you're asking Claire? Are you doing a study or something?
Old 27 May 2008, 11:39 (Ref:2212931)   #11
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Can I ask why you're asking Claire? Are you doing a study or something?
Chezza, I dont think its really ramdom, and I stated my motives earlier in the thread. (twice actually)
Old 27 May 2008, 11:55 (Ref:2212943)   #12
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Claire, no no and another no, Elaine and I are professional at all times.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:02 (Ref:2212948)   #13
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah you said, being nosey, but I just find it odd for something like this to come up, unless there is something else behind it. It maybe you've experienced something like this, or that you are studying or you're looking at it as part of development as a Clerk. It was just some of the language that you used that has caused me to ask as it just strikes me as a bit of a strange subject to just pop into someones head to ask.

Its not that I have an issue with the subject...I'm just being nosey!
Old 27 May 2008, 12:09 (Ref:2212956)   #14
MartinSmith
Subscriber
Veteran

England
Essex
Quote:
Originally Posted by chezza
Its not that I have an issue with the subject...I'm just being nosey!
It must be something to do with our inquisitive female minds ...watch this space
Old 27 May 2008, 12:20 (Ref:2212960)   #15
fazza
Veteran

United Kingdom
Wigan
fazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Summerisle
Lady S and I try to be together on post, tho only at hillclimbs, as she doesnt like circuits.
At Loton Park we are usually manning the post between us, just toss a coin in the morning to see who does the radio, and who flags.

TBH - we generally have no problems and like the time together, gives us chance to natter.

'WE WANT TO BE TOGETHER'
Old 27 May 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2212968)   #16
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
Elaine is a Trainee Observer, so she regularly acts as my Observer whilst I flag or IO. She only needs 1 more signature before being tested (not by me I hasten to add).
I love being on post with her, or in Race Control, she keeps me sensible! well ish anyway.

Last edited by The Fat Clerk; 27 May 2008 at 12:35.
Old 27 May 2008, 13:57 (Ref:2213056)   #17
flagwaver
Veteran

England
Yorkshire
flagwaver should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can cause major problems in our house, but only because often only one of us can attend a meeting, whilst the other looks after our daughter.
When we do attend meetings together then we will often be at different locations/stages.
So apart from the discussions about who is attending what meetings, then for us it works fine.
Old 27 May 2008, 14:47 (Ref:2213105)   #18
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaireSmith
Peter ....Im not looking for advice on divorce...are you saying you are good at it??..thanks for moving it to the Marshals Forum for me
Lol. Definitely not.
Old 27 May 2008, 15:06 (Ref:2213125)   #19
Stack
Veteran

Thailand
Leicester but dreaming of Thailand
Stack should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I marshal to get out of her way

“Beer is not the answer........Beer is the question .........The answer is yes.”
Old 27 May 2008, 15:39 (Ref:2213155)   #20
danccooke
Veteran

England
West Sussex
danccooke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Dee and I have spent the last 5 years working together, this year I am upgrading to IO and have been assinging pairs to work together etc etc. It isn't a problem for us. I don't think we have ever had an issue. We bicker from time to time but that is just how we work and everyone else finds it amusing.

I have in the past had a IO who didn't want us working together as he felt it compromised our safety, ( I think it makes us safer but that is another argument) so put me with someone else on post (my cousin) once he realised and moved us about until he realised that on that particular post there was no way to move us about so that no relations worked with each other, six marshals, four of which were related.

Back on topic though, Dee and I work well as course marshals or as course marshal and IO. No nepotism, no fussingn just lots of fun.
Old 27 May 2008, 15:46 (Ref:2213161)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally Posted by danccooke
I have in the past had a IO who didn't want us working together as he felt it compromised our safety, ( I think it makes us safer but that is another argument) so put me with someone else on post (my cousin) once he realised and moved us about until he realised that on that particular post there was no way to move us about so that no relations worked with each other, six marshals, four of which were related.
I'm hearing "duelling banjoes".
Old 27 May 2008, 15:49 (Ref:2213164)   #22
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Mallett
I'm hearing "duelling banjoes".
That's NEARLY as funny as your post about the Spa 6 hours being run to Appendix K .....but we digress
Old 27 May 2008, 17:15 (Ref:2213245)   #23
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I started marshalling before the wife,but she still came away on the weekends,either going shopping in the local town,having a lie in or playing on the laptop.

Since she`s started marshalling,we always go on post together,we work as a team,but are not joined at the hip.
Like Dan,i`ve been I/O training this year and she`s happy to be paired with anyone.
She trusts my decision in what we need to do,we do Cars & Bikes,so we also have our own signals if i`m dealing with an incident and she is on flags,she can relate to the PC,so that means i`m not trackside dancing like a funky chicken with signals.
Plus she generally knows when i need a cuppa.....

Last edited by gachjoel; 27 May 2008 at 17:19.
Old 27 May 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2213258)   #24
gwar
Racer

gwar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Myself and wends have been marshaling for about 4 years know (together).
We work well together and know each others weak and strong points, when were flagging i prefer blue,s, but when were Bike marshaling she prefers to be post cheif/ IO...(with the clubbies) in touch with race control whilst i play with the toys in the gravel ,

I,ve been told by her, the bikes are mine...the men in leathers are hers

The big problem every year is filling in the calender, which one,s to do.
How ever we always go together...wherever...save,s on fuel, and i dont get told off every weekend.

PS: we have seen GACHJOEL doing the funky chicken
Better than my frog in a blender...so i,m told
Old 27 May 2008, 17:41 (Ref:2213261)   #25
Peter Harding
Veteran

England
Colchester
Peter Harding should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Went to my first marshalling session in 1971 with the wife. After a few more she got pregnant and stopped. From then on she was always pregnant and only started coming occasionally with me about 2 years ago.

I think those in certain positions tend to be over cautious in making sure the don't give a sign of favouritism to the point where the other half is adversely affected.

All such couples I have known seem to get on well together right up to the time of divorce.