Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 21 Aug 2006, 07:56 (Ref:1687937)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Second US F1 track?

Mr. Egglestone has suggested that he would like give the US of A another round in the Formula 1 calender. My question to you is where would you hold it?
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:29 (Ref:1687959)   #2
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca or Road Atlanta. LS seems more likely as Ecclestone probably would badge it as the US West GP
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:57 (Ref:1687980)   #3
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think there is any other track in the US at the moment that meets the safety standards for runoff areas, etc. Certainly not Laguna - a demo run is one thing, but a race, no way. Road Atlanta is out too for the same reasons. All of the "traditional" tracks here are not up to par vis a vis FIA standards.

God help us that there is not yet another inane street race. Only Monaco is remotely interesting because of it's history/layout imho. I remember the lovely F1 race in Vegas through the parking lots. It was horrible. I keep trying to forget it but I can't - kind of like my first marriage...

I will just go hide over here while everyone starts banging on about Surfer's...
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 08:58 (Ref:1687981)   #4
VilleneuveTracy
Veteran

United States
New Jersey
VilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridVilleneuveTracy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Daytona, run the road circuit but also have the cars on the high banks for a fair amount of the lap.

3 Heinz-Harald Frentzen Williams-Renault 42 (1 win, 1 pole)

Anyone could have won in the 97' Williams...
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:00 (Ref:1687982)   #5
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
....and getting the cars from the road course onto the banking how? The transition would bust 'em up faster than Andrea deCeasaris on a quali!
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:03 (Ref:1687984)   #6
maltafan
Veteran

Malta
obviously, Malta
maltafan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
No matter how many efforts Bernie does to get more F1 fans fom the USA, he will not succeed. Americans are mad about other series, which are more entertaining than the rules-packed F1.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:17 (Ref:1687995)   #7
Pingguest
Veteran

Netherlands
Heemstede, The Netherlands
Pingguest should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be run on an oval. Let's go to Talladega!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 09:29 (Ref:1687999)   #8
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pingguest
It should be run on an oval. Let's go to Talladega!
Haha, the entire race would have to be shown as a slo-mo replay just so viewers could keep up.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:02 (Ref:1688022)   #9
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As in previous posts, I'd really like to see F1 at Laguna Seca or Elkhart Lake. However, the realities of this (as JohnSSC points out) means that such a wish is unlikely to ever occur.

For what its worth, I suspect that if a second American Grand Prix were to be held it would be on a street or parkland course similar to Albert Park. Regarding likely locations, Bernie Ecclestone has seemed to consider Las Vegas on a number of times, whilst there have been the occasional story relating to a motor race in New York over the last 20 years or so and one of these stories may eventually come to fruition.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 10:08 (Ref:1688028)   #10
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Infinon/Sears point might become a possible on the IRL configuration ....
Old 21 Aug 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1688052)   #11
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Laguna Seca would be great
Old 21 Aug 2006, 11:31 (Ref:1688053)   #12
DPRacing
Racer

Sweden
Lund
DPRacing should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
dubble post
Old 21 Aug 2006, 14:43 (Ref:1688097)   #13
dcp2685
Veteran

dcp2685 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Move Indy to Watkins Glen for US GP East, Laguna Seca for west.

That would be awesome!
Old 21 Aug 2006, 15:11 (Ref:1688107)   #14
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Melbourne and Fort Lauderdale
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters
Mr. Egglestone has suggested that he would like give the US of A another round in the Formula 1 calender. My question to you is where would you hold it?

There are a number of tracks that come to mind.
  • In 1959, the USGP was run at Sebring - give them some time and money to improve the facilities and run there.
  • The same for Daytona - run the same course that the sports cars run - that would give some of the drivers a religious experience.
Other interesting tracks include:
  • Road Atlanta
  • Watkins Glen
  • Road America
  • Laguna Seca
  • Bridgehampton
  • Summit Point
  • Sears Point
  • Oh yes - that new 'theme park' and track in Alabama - can't remember the name.

Under no circumstances should a street race be permitted.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 15:25 (Ref:1688117)   #15
rblanshard
Racer

United States
Dallas, TX
rblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrblanshard should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Judicata
Oh yes - that new 'theme park' and track in Alabama - can't remember the name.
Barber Motorsports Park http://www.barbermotorsports.com/

And all of those would be excellent suggestions. Given the fact Zonta just took his Toyota out to Laguna Seca and set the track record gives me hope they'll host a F1 race in the near future.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 15:31 (Ref:1688124)   #16
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Rex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualificationRex Judicata User is flirting with disqualification
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard
Barber Motorsports Park http://www.barbermotorsports.com/

And all of those would be excellent suggestions. Given the fact Zonta just took his Toyota out to Laguna Seca and set the track record gives me hope they'll host a F1 race in the near future.
Thank you! Excellent link - Barber would be a great venue for F1, and I suspect, easy to bring up to safety regs.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:42 (Ref:1688221)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Road America, no, I have explained before.
Laguna Seca. maybe. I think it is quite possible.
Road atlanta can't see it being safe enough for F1.

I would like to see another street race though.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 19:57 (Ref:1688239)   #18
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rblanshard
Given the fact Zonta just took his Toyota out to Laguna Seca and set the track record gives me hope they'll host a F1 race in the near future.
I'd be surprised if Zonta's demonstation will ever lead to a Grand Prix at Laguna Seca. As I understand it, the circuit's facilties are not close enough to F1 standard, which are rapidly rising due to the likes of Sepang, Sakir and Shanghai. Ricardo Zonta and Toyota were present at Laguna Seca to undertake what was in effect a promotional run. That said, I'm sure that if sufficient money could be found to fund the upgrades then in my view Laguna Seca would make a great addition to the F1 calander.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:43 (Ref:1688285)   #19
bigjon
Racer

bigjon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Remember that F1 folk have a chequered history at Laguna

A Ferrari fell in half there...

...and of course Rodriguez died at the corkscrew at a time when he was involved in the F1 curcuit

Futhermore, they'd have to change the corkscrew - and is it worth changing a great race track just for the sake of a potential F1 race. i think not
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:44 (Ref:1688283)   #20
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd vote for Laguna Seca, i'd love to see all the cars trying to get through the corkscrew on the first few laps. However, LS is quite short, and this could be a problem with traffic factorsetc.

Maybe another street circuit, but not in America. But that's another topic alltogether.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:46 (Ref:1688289)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Elkhart Lake, the worlds most beautiful track.

Though F1 can stay well away if it wants to insert even the hint of an extended gravel trap or tarmac run-off. Or chicane.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 20:57 (Ref:1688302)   #22
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
Elkhart Lake, the worlds most beautiful track.

Though F1 can stay well away if it wants to insert even the hint of an extended gravel trap or tarmac run-off. Or chicane.
Tilke's on his way.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:03 (Ref:1688311)   #23
Rockmunky
Veteran

England
'artfordshire
Rockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRockmunky should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Over my dead body he is, but of course if F1 did move there, then the Bernie and Max show would feel obliged to leave their everlasting mark on the circuit.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:11 (Ref:1688318)   #24
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This topic seems to come up quite often for some reason. Other than Indy, none of the circuits are even close to F1 standards.

Laguna has done a lot, but they still are not up to snuff. It will take millions more to get it there. That means a new sponsor, or one of the manufacturers to come in and help. Red Bull and Yamaha have paid for most of the recent work for Moto GP. The track is county owned, and they wont spend the money to bring F1. Not to mention, the surrounding residents detest noise. Furthermore, Monterey is pretty secluded. It's tough enough to get a hotel and move around the track for a Moto GP event. If F1 pulled in more people it would be even worse.

Barber is better off as a bike track. F1 would look silly there.

Sebring? LoL, that would be a good suspension test.

The new Miller Motorsports Park near Salt Lake City is possible. If they spend the money to add infrastructure.

Nope, Indy is the best bet. They've already spent the money. North American road courses are lucky enough to survive, let alone have the money to upgrade for F1 status.
Old 21 Aug 2006, 21:24 (Ref:1688322)   #25
Rex Judicata
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
This topic seems to come up quite often for some reason. Other than Indy, none of the circuits are even close to F1 standards.
Many of the so-called F1 standards have much in common with Bridgestone's logo. The world does not need multi-hundred million dollar tracks in countries that don't even have public libraries. What we need are tracks that provide interesting racing -- with passing on the track -- reasonably near population centers and airports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhansen
This topic seems to come up quite often for some reason.
It comes up because there are about 300,000,000 in the United States, and it is the biggest market for all of the major automobile manufacturers. In addition to have almost 300,000,000, it also is about 2.5 times the size of the European Union. The US has the largest and most technologically powerful economy in the world, with a per capita GDP of $42,000.

For more information, see https://www.cia.gov/cia/publications...k/geos/us.html