Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 26 Jul 2004, 08:55 (Ref:1047442)   #1
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!
Kimi's Wing

Do we know why it failed so spectacularly?

Has the team made a press statement?

What are the possible reasons for it failing? Bad moulding? Could a bird have hit it possibly?

Will the team tell us?

What sort of motorist are you... Smooth or Hairy

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:09 (Ref:1047453)   #2
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
No

No

No

No

Hope this helps
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:16 (Ref:1047462)   #3
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!Cougar has a real shot at the podium!

Great reply Wrex Can we get those four options in a poll maybe

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:17 (Ref:1047464)   #4
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Ron Dennis said the failure was due to "a manufacturing mistake rather than a design problem"

On that basis they decided not inform DC that Kimi had suffered a wing failure, as there was "no danger of the same thing happening to David", quite how they could tell that is anyone's guess??
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:19 (Ref:1047465)   #5
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well he wasn't going as fast as Kimi so there was less downforce.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:27 (Ref:1047471)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The trouble with carbon fibre bonding is that the first you know of any sort of problem is when it fails catastrophically.

RD's comments seem a little odd given that the chief race engineer had a very good look at DC's rear wing at his next pitstop. Just to be sure I guess. Having said that, McLaren have always been sensible in this kind of situation - if they thought there was any serious likelihood of a similar failure on David's car they'd have pulled him in.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:30 (Ref:1047474)   #7
Cougar
Veteran

South Africa
London(ex RSA)
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer
Ron Dennis said the failure was due to "a manufacturing mistake rather than a design problem"

On that basis they decided not inform DC that Kimi had suffered a wing failure, as there was "no danger of the same thing happening to David", quite how they could tell that is anyone's guess??
The wings were possibly from different batches? Still a tough call to make!

I'm definitely hairy.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 09:52 (Ref:1047491)   #8
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Wouldn't the wings be hand made individually? Maybe not "no" danger, but not that likely.

Reminded me of a similar rear wing failure in the local touring cars (Dick Johnson at the Bathurst sprint round) where the rear wing failed at the entry to the fastest corner in the country - Caltex Chase, 280-290kph entry.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:14 (Ref:1047515)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Well he wasn't going as fast as Kimi so there was less downforce.
Kimi the car breaker
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:25 (Ref:1047530)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
As has been said, the wings are hand-made, and the team were confident it was a manufacturing problem.

On an interesting historical note - at the Hungaroring 1992 the same thing happened to Michael Schumacher.

The very next race at Spa, he won.

So - time to bet on Kimi winning Hungary? Lets hope so
Old 26 Jul 2004, 10:42 (Ref:1047556)   #11
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon

RD's comments seem a little odd given that the chief race engineer had a very good look at DC's rear wing at his next pitstop.
But as Mr Martin Brundle put it...

"He (DC's race engineer) doesn't have X-Ray eyes..."

The only reason I can think that they didn't stop DC was if they were running different spec wings (and hence different batches)...
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:02 (Ref:1047585)   #12
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
And when the in-car camera was focused on Dicky's face, the change (I think he was doing an in-car commentry at the time to) in his expression was amazing, as he went from just cruising, to having a major off with absolutely no warning.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1047588)   #13
1200Datto27
Veteran

Australia
Croydon
1200Datto27 has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
you can imagine if RS was in the other car "I was just taking it easy, as I knew that the wing wouldn't last, Kimi caused it to fail by loading the wing too much"

Last edited by 1200Datto27; 26 Jul 2004 at 11:05.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 12:05 (Ref:1047658)   #14
johnh875
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
johnh875 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by 1200Datto27
And when the in-car camera was focused on Dicky's face, the change (I think he was doing an in-car commentry at the time to) in his expression was amazing, as he went from just cruising, to having a major off with absolutely no warning.
That's the one! THey had just switched over to Dick when the accident happened, and from the view on the in-car camera the commentary team thought they might have caused the problem. Luckily there was more than plenty of run-off, 'cause he used plenty. Also, wasn't he wired up with a heart-rate monitor? I think so, and when the failure occurred, his heart rate spiked to 220 or something similar.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 13:28 (Ref:1047753)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I still think it's a bit rough of a team that the first thing DC heard of his team-mate's rear wing failure was when Louise Goodman asked him about it in the post-race press interviews.

Must've been embarassing for DC if nothing else.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 13:55 (Ref:1047786)   #16
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not at all, Logrence.

The team were confident there was not a problem for DC's car - and McLaren historically haven't put their drivers at unneccessary risk.

There was no point in saying anything to him, as that may have proved unsettling.
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1048023)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back

On an interesting historical note - at the Hungaroring 1992 the same thing happened to Michael Schumacher.

Only because Martin Brundle knocked into the back of him though!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:21 (Ref:1048026)   #18
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed. Completely different scenario's there. Although TGF's entire wing went flying... somewhere!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 18:27 (Ref:1048029)   #19
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes, where did that wing go?!?!
Old 26 Jul 2004, 20:07 (Ref:1048125)   #20
f1atic
Racer

f1atic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Super Tourer

Right you are, especially with the pieces of the puzzle numbering in the hundreds, perhaps thousands and at least until the race's end, not all collected.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 05:06 (Ref:1048415)   #21
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if something is designed in a way that a manufacturing problem can create an accident like that, then by my point of view there is inherently a design problem but not knowing what actually happened no one can really say

and I agree with the comments about Mclaren not putting DC in any unreasonable risk...they are the same ones who put there team in the most protective gear on the pitlane following the bennetton pit fire

Last edited by avsfan733; 27 Jul 2004 at 05:07.
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:05 (Ref:1048619)   #22
gttouring
Veteran

gttouring should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
interesing how different team protocol and culture is apparent when disaster strike- as maclarens calculated and calmness in a disaster...and we KNOW they wouldn't put a driver in harms way.
i wonder how this would play out in Jordan or minardi
minardi would proabbly bring their second car in hoping not to stuff 2 cars on one weekend save money you know- and they would end up last anyway.
Jordan well they both would probably fly apart.
so would toyota- i bet they are still too arrogant to think a problem like this would happen twice.
but maclaren- they knew it was a single occurence somehow and we knew thye wouldn't let the other drive-in this case David- to get hurt.
interesting that they didn't tell DC about kimi though
Old 27 Jul 2004, 11:37 (Ref:1048647)   #23
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
GT - with every respect - that post deserves to be flushed down the closet in which you are sitting!

Are you having a bad day?
Old 27 Jul 2004, 16:11 (Ref:1048925)   #24
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

*flush*
Old 27 Jul 2004, 16:39 (Ref:1048958)   #25
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I wonder if X-rays could detect such a flaw? ... and if yes, why would not all teams use them in their QC? Seems fundamental. A scary punt indeed; thank goodness for safety features which came through in flying colours!!