Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Closed Thread

Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:18 (Ref:1554280)   #1
killer bird
Rookie

killer bird has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Montoya is overrated

Ron Dennis had signed the wrong man to partner Kimi, or rather, Ron Dennis purposely signed a poor driver to be a no.2.

Montoya had done nothing since day one he joined McLaren, he is totally mediocre. And he can't overtake. What a bad performance.

Talking about future champ,...humbug
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:50 (Ref:1554623)   #2
SetikX
Racer

SetikX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You joined this forum to post drivel? IF you truly to believe what you wrote in that post - can you expand? What do you mean PURPOSELY? So Ron sacrificed last years WCC on purpose?
Old 20 Mar 2006, 14:53 (Ref:1554625)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
yawn.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1554631)   #4
killer bird
Rookie

killer bird has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SetikX
You joined this forum to post drivel? IF you truly to believe what you wrote in that post - can you expand? What do you mean PURPOSELY? So Ron sacrificed last years WCC on purpose?

Montoya started in 6th in Bahrain while Kimi started last, but Kimi ended infront of Montoya.

Montoya started 5th, or 4th in Sepang, while Massa started last, while MS started in 14th, both of these sick Ferraris came within 4 seconds of Montoya.

Enough said????

And JPM helped Mclaren lose the constructors title last year.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:03 (Ref:1554632)   #5
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Flame bait i'm afraid.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:07 (Ref:1554635)   #6
avsfan733
Veteran

avsfan733 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I honestly believe that Mr Montoya could drive a Formula one chassis from any manufacturer faster in his sleep than I could on my best day. Therefore I find it hard to agree with your analysis of him as mediocre.

Montoya did very very well in CART in the US, he did quite well at Williams, and obviously he hasn't done quite as well at McLaren. HOWEVER, the same has basically happened with Fisichella. He has been an almost non factor the last year but not by his own fault. Everyone attributes it to 'bad luck' well consider the luck of Kimi last year in *almost* winning the championship. if thats the McLarens Baseline the fact that Montoya hasn't been killed in an engine explosion seems to be a more relevant discussion.

I honestly though don't know why I typed this out because I can only agree with SetikX and Mr. V on your approach to presenting your opinion
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1554642)   #7
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by killer bird
Montoya started in 6th in Bahrain while Kimi started last, but Kimi ended infront of Montoya.

Montoya started 5th, or 4th in Sepang, while Massa started last, while MS started in 14th, both of these sick Ferraris came within 4 seconds of Montoya.

Enough said????

And JPM helped Mclaren lose the constructors title last year.
Did you not read about his engine problems in Bahrain?

Did you not read about his race in Sepang? He could not catch Button, and wisely brought the car home rather than risking his engine.

I would say that Mercedes glass engines cost McLaren the WCC last year.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:14 (Ref:1554645)   #8
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I must admit, i've found JPM a little overrated in Formula 1, and I do generally doubt his ability to be a title contender. As much as he is a pleasure to watch, I just don't think he's a World Champ. I don't think he's in the same bracket as his team mate. Although, saying this, he drove a storm in the latter of '05 which did make me give a 2nd glance.

I'll make up my mind at the end of the year though, thanks

Selby
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:23 (Ref:1554652)   #9
Inigo Montoya
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!Inigo Montoya has a real shot at the championship!
Welcome to the forum killer bird I think you'll find that around here, threads that bash a particular driver are not very well received. This does not mean that we cannot discuss a driver's ability, as long as there is some point to it.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:42 (Ref:1554983)   #10
312T4
Racer

Italy
312T4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
No surprise, he's still have to wake up from the winter.
At the moment he is nearly useless to Mclaren.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:46 (Ref:1554987)   #11
mbathshah
Racer

United Kingdom
Buckinghamshire
mbathshah has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Montoya

Although I can't agree totally with "Killer Bird" I have some sympathy with her views. JPM has been quite poor against Kimi and I do think his ability as a racing driver have been overrated. He makes too many mistakes and can't quite see him as WDC material. Reminds me a little of Rubens who seemingly couldn't brake with his left foot and now can't drive without traction control. Leaves you to wonder sometimes!
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1554993)   #12
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Jukebox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What happened to the once hard charging Montoya and always trying to make it difficult for Michael while on track?

He's now too relaxed and not giving extra effort and concentration
Old 20 Mar 2006, 15:59 (Ref:1554996)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Well, put it this way, had he not overtaken Kimi going into turn 4, maybe Klien would have tangled with JPM and not Kimi, just a thought.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:09 (Ref:1555001)   #14
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
Thank you for reminding me that he had overtaken someone lately....seriously he's quite transparent nowadays isn't it.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:13 (Ref:1555003)   #15
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V
Well, put it this way, had he not overtaken Kimi going into turn 4, maybe Klien would have tangled with JPM and not Kimi, just a thought.
We'll have no logic here! This is purely a thread for opinion! Stop this instant!

Honestly, there are no 'poor' drivers in F1. There may be a few that some don't view as F1 caliber, but they are all fairly accomplished or they wouldn't have Superliscences and they wouldn't be allowed on the track for fear of safety.

In any case, Montoya is hardly at the bottom of the talent pole in F1. He might not have Kimi's measure, may not have the special ability that would get him a WDC, but that doesn't make him "poor" or "mediocre".
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:20 (Ref:1555008)   #16
Jukebox
Veteran

Malaysia
KL
I think you should have quoted my reply instead of V..shiny side up. As V is a fan of Montoya and for the record, i'm not saying Montoya is not of an F1 calibre, but simply saying that his performance was not like he used to be when nhe jumped from CART to F1 in his 1st and 2nd season
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:22 (Ref:1555011)   #17
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
JPM was a match for Kimi in the second half of last season, despite the team naturally supporting Kimi more as he went for the title, and despite not being 100% fit (which was admittedly his own fault). As for this season, he was saddled with a dud engine in Bahrain, which he avoided destroying and managed to nurse to the finish, while in Sepang (perhaps still with engine problems) he qualified ahead of Kimi and was ahead of him when he went out, and maximised the car's result as it clearly wasn't as quick as the Renault or Honda.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:41 (Ref:1555024)   #18
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Interesting opinions here.

He hasn't had a great start, but at the end of the day Montoya has brought the car home and scored solid points. Surely this is better than throwing it off the road attempting to overhaul the Renaults, which are quicker!

He appears to be struggling with the new car at present but this will get better as it did last year.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 16:53 (Ref:1555030)   #19
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I don't think anyone disputes JPM's raw speed or natural ability. It is his inability to nurture that talent. The inability to always make rational decisions in the heat of battle and his tendency to let emotion take precedence during a race are his downfalls, exacerbated by his refusal to accept any criticism or take any part of the blame whatsoever, when he blunders. Personally, I think Ron Dennis is at ropes end with that, as JPM at 30 is unlikely to change now.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:29 (Ref:1555053)   #20
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
It has to be said, I haven't seen a blinding overtaking move by Montoya for a while, maybe since back in his BMW days, but perhaps that was why. For several seasons the BMW engine had stonking horsepower, arguably the most powerful in 2001, 2002 and 2003.

Good engine = good straight line speeds = good overtaking potential.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 17:32 (Ref:1555055)   #21
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well no, because he was always a good overtaker in other categories.

And his move on Alonso at Silverstone last year was a blinder.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:32 (Ref:1555103)   #22
Matski
Racer

Matski has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
2003 he may well have won with one less engine failure.
So, after waiting 20 minutes for him to come out of the back of the garage, Matski asks "Are you going to get Jacques' seat then?" Robert replies "ha ha, I don't know!", signs Matksi's cap, and retreats to his motorhome.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 18:45 (Ref:1555113)   #23
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

I hate to go over what could have been....

But 2003 is one that got away I have to say. Had his car not failed at A1-Ring and Suzuka.....well, that was at least 18 points there...and the tyre protests....and Indy...sigh

But credit to Ferrari, their car was bulletproof all year.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 19:18 (Ref:1555140)   #24
Menelaos
Veteran

Greece
Athens, Greece
Menelaos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r
I would say that Mercedes glass engines cost McLaren the WCC last year.
Although I do NOT think JPM is not a very good driver, still I have to partly agree to the opinion that if JPM was a little more careful last year as to avoid the stupid last lap incidents in two of the final races, McLaren would have won the WCC. Their engines SUCK and they lost Kimi the title, but JPM did not help a lot with the WCC either.
Old 20 Mar 2006, 20:12 (Ref:1555182)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
So long as they don't let him play tennis (on a motorcycle) i think JPM will do just fine.I think he will be glad to get an engine change.He's as good as anyone out there IMO.
Closed Thread

Tags
jpm