Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 2 Sep 2003, 13:25 (Ref:705685)   #1
superbird
Racer

superbird should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hillclimbing a kart

(I wasn't sure where to post hillclimb related stuff, and the karting forum is a bit quiet)

Does anyone know if it's possible in the UK? I heard someone in at a track in Devon saying she did hillclimbs as well as circuit racing and I would really like to give it a go. Can anyone give me any information or weblinks if they know of clubs that would be open to it? What license would I need and is there a test?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 14:40 (Ref:705738)   #2
Truckosaurus
Veteran

England
North Hampshire
Truckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTruckosaurus should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
A mate of mine was looking into this. It seemed that only the channel island hills had classes for karts.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 19:58 (Ref:706022)   #3
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Unbeleivable - I was sitting watching the racmsa kartin video tonight and I thought to myself - "must post a question on ten-tenths about whatever happened to karts on the hills".. and this question appears!!! SPOOOOKY!
Anyway I recall there used to karts on hills back in the 80's certainly - 250's and 500's even.
However I hope it is still possible as I'd love to take my Rotax to Gurston. IIRC there are a couple of hillclimbs in devon and I can remember seeing karts at Oddicombe in the 80's certainly , and also down in Cornwall at Tregrehane and Werrington. Maybe they run as an invitation class?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 19:59 (Ref:706024)   #4
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

ghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridghinzani should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The track in devon being Dunks I assume ??
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:31 (Ref:706060)   #5
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
speaking as a marshal with no access to the regs, until this weekend, Yes, some kind of "Karts" have been and are still seen "on-the-hills" here in the Midlands. I have no idea what class they run in as there are never more than one at any meeting but hillclimbs will always find somewhere for any accepted entry.
I will "ask-the-question" this weekend at Prescott and will let you know the answer.
I personally would love to watch a true racing kart on a hill and wish you all the best in obtaining an entry.

Last edited by Stuart Hill; 2 Sep 2003 at 20:34.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:34 (Ref:706065)   #6
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Nice one crazyStu - can you check see if they have gearboxes or not? sadly I dont... but I have a clutch so could do a standing start
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:39 (Ref:706072)   #7
superbird
Racer

yep my fella did the SW Champs at Dunks the other week.

Should we see if theres enough Rotaxes that want to do it to convince a club to run an invitation class then? I'd be in a Rotax unless I save up for a 125 gearbox.

I heard that three 250s did it once at the Sugarloaf in Ireland in the 70's or 80's, got the top three times of the day but they gave the overall trophy to the F3 car that was in 4th. They were never invited again...
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:40 (Ref:706075)   #8
superbird
Racer

Thanks Stu looks like there might be a couple more.

I would need a Speed Nat B license right?
Old 2 Sep 2003, 20:54 (Ref:706088)   #9
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
Stuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridStuart Hill should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kart Answers

OK guys, here it is, right from the horse's mouth!! (aka Tony Fletcher, British Hillclimb Championship Co-ordinator).

in order to hillclimb a Kart, one of the following is needed:

1) the Venue needs to have a Kart License (eg Bouley Bay, Channel Islands)

or

2) the "Kart" needs a wheelbase in excess of 72 inches.

but whilst there is no way around rule 1, (unless you can convince a venue to apply for Kart status), there is a way to overcome rule 2.

some years ago a certain Mr.P.Jeffries hillclimbed a Kart !!

How I hear you ask?????
well, he just attached a pair of bogie wheels to the rear of his "Kart" as the regs do not stipulate which wheels have to be used in order to determine the wheelbase!!

so he ran a Kart whilst dragging some permanently attached trolley wheels behind it. These extra wheels were the ones used for determining the "wheelbase" and so the Kart was legal!!!

Last edited by Stuart Hill; 2 Sep 2003 at 20:57.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:03 (Ref:706102)   #10
superbird
Racer

I think a 250 would be long enough but me and Ghinzani would have to do the wheel thing
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:14 (Ref:706116)   #11
Stuart Hill
Veteran

England
I've just emailed a Hillclimb/Kart Clerk of the Course to find out what it would need for a hillclimb venue to obtain a Kart license here on mainland Britain.
Watch this space.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:19 (Ref:706126)   #12
superbird
Racer

You're a star. I don't have a blue book handy or I''d have a look.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 21:41 (Ref:706156)   #13
speedy king
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
speedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridspeedy king should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'd love to have Hill climb Karting, i would be straight on the entry list

Last edited by speedy king; 2 Sep 2003 at 21:42.
Old 2 Sep 2003, 23:24 (Ref:706253)   #14
blackx
Veteran

England
blackx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The carts you are on about run at Shelsley dont they ??
I think they run in the"Shelsley Special" class.........
A class where really they can get away with anything......
Old 3 Sep 2003, 00:29 (Ref:706291)   #15
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
There's a guy locally here in Australia who hillclimbs a superkart type of thing... and god it is fast, only a couple of secs off the best in the land. BTW, he is a complete nutter for doing it, as this photo kinda shows...
Attached Thumbnails
paul-van-wijk.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2003, 06:45 (Ref:706422)   #16
PistNBroke2003
Rookie

PistNBroke2003 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where are these tracks?

im in london what hillclimb tracks are around here that could be persuaded to run a hill climb for me
Attached Thumbnails
selectsmall.jpg  
Old 3 Sep 2003, 08:57 (Ref:706545)   #17
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by superbird
yep my fella did the SW Champs at Dunks the other week.

Over the b/h weekend? I was going to go down for that, especially with the promise of bbq but the fact that I shunted in practice for the Forest Edge round plus the threat of traffic made me decide to race at Matchams instead (its 10 minutes away). Was there much argy bargey?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 09:05 (Ref:706551)   #18
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

This wheel out the back business - like a dummy axle? or a trailer off a kids ride-on tractor??!! Anyway I would defineately be up for a hillclimb, especially if it doesnt clash with my other races. Perhaps I should email the Gurston people? Wheres the easiest for you to get to from swansea Superbird? Gurstons not far down the a34/a303 from the m4.

Pistonbroke, hello and welcome - I'm trying to think of venues near London - there used to be one at a school in kent, but its mostly sprints at Brands, Goodwood and that airfield out by Epping whose name escapes me. You might wanna attach that picture into Marcus thread in the karting sections entitled "your karting pics" btw. What is that you are driving and does it have a clutch? Is it a leopard?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:20 (Ref:706829)   #19
superbird
Racer

Quote:
Over the b/h weekend? I was going to go down for that, especially with the promise of bbq but the fact that I shunted in practice for the Forest Edge round plus the threat of traffic made me decide to race at Matchams instead (its 10 minutes away). Was there much argy bargey?
Wasn't too bad, the Max final wasn't until 7:30pm though! We thought we hadn't got through the B final and I was taking the kart apart until Laurie (my boyfriend) came running up shouting that we were out in the A in 2 races! Finished 14th in the end.

Is Gurston down near Clay Pigeon? those roads sound familiar. I'm up for anything within 4 hours really

Last edited by superbird; 3 Sep 2003 at 12:22.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:52 (Ref:706874)   #20
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Gurstons here: http://www.gurstondown.org/calendar.htm (theres a map if you scroll down a bit) , just below Salisbury - if you've been to Forest Edge its about half an hour nearer, also more local to you than Dunks. Its 20 mins max from me, which is why I am keen ;-)

7.30?? was that on the sunday or the monday?? pity you if it was the monday and you had to drive back. It was a bit mad when they all raced at FE as I recall.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 12:57 (Ref:706891)   #21
superbird
Racer

Was Sunday (no racing Monday). Forest Edge must be quite near us then, Dunks is our closest apart from Llandow at 2 1/2 hours. It's a shame it's shutting
Old 3 Sep 2003, 13:22 (Ref:706924)   #22
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Is there really nothing near Swansea? what about all those great roads in the Black Mountains? anyway this is what Steve Tarrant had to say on another thread Crazystu opened about this in the marshalls forum:
Steve Tarrant [ ]
Racer

User Online
3 Sep 2003 12:16

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi all

Yes, a separate MSA kart licence would be required before they could run on the venue, and that would also mean a further visit by the MSA Safety executive to view the venue for the suitability of karts (protection, runoffs, etc) before a safety licence could be issued to the venue first before they could apply for a race permit.

Certainly the 250cc gearbox karts would certainly give the cars a run for their money!!!!!!

Hope this helps

Steve

ps did you bloke race in the sunday round at Forest Edge or just the saturday Southern champs round?
Old 3 Sep 2003, 15:56 (Ref:707079)   #23
Superliner II
Rookie

Superliner II should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
ghinzani, this is the BIQ (bloke in question)

We spent the whole bank holiday weekend at Dunkeswell for the SW Champs. It was our first time there but not our last cos i love the track. Timed qualifying was on Sat and the racing was on Sun. It was just begining to get dark when the Max final was held. The trophys were handed out in the dark lol. Llandow is our nearest track 30 miles from Swansea but i am a member of Shennington kart club.

Mary-Ann (superbird) is dieing to give hillclimbing a go in my Rotax and i am keen to aswell especially if the rules will allow me to modify the engine, exhaust, carb and put better tyres on it hehe.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 16:04 (Ref:707085)   #24
ghinzani
Race Official
Veteran

Hello superliner - glad you enjoyed Dunks - good job you had good weather tho as it can be mighty cold there! Did you do any of the other SW champ rounds? I might have been on track with you briefly if so - I did 4 laps of practice for the june round at my circuit then damaged my back :-(

I havent been to Shennington yet but have been recommended it, Landow used to be a race circuit correct? Do you use the whole track? What about Pembrey, is that not in use?

I like this idea of hillclimbing too, especially as it means I cna share the kart with a mate - it will be a good intro to the ones who dont want the argy-bargy of racing other people!!

I will pursue it with the Gurston people, lets hope something comes of it.
Old 3 Sep 2003, 17:30 (Ref:707187)   #25
PistNBroke2003
Rookie

PistNBroke2003 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are you trying to insult me ghinzani?
lol just kidding no it isnt a leopard it is in fact a 4 stroke :O shock horror a fast four stroke lol
It is an Ecomoto could give a FA a run for its money i reckon if you take away their sticky tyres and put them on the same as us
Basic rundown of the engine 250cc 4V DOHC single cylinder 30+bhp will do over 100mph easily
the top end was a kawasaki 250 but bottom end is all specialy made as a karting engine
oh and it has a 3 plate sintered bronze wet clutch

Last edited by PistNBroke2003; 3 Sep 2003 at 17:31.