Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 12 Aug 2011, 16:13 (Ref:2938974)   #1
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Driver San Francisco

Has anybody downloaded the demo for this game yet? If so what are your thoughts on it, and the game??
Old 12 Aug 2011, 17:26 (Ref:2938995)   #2
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had a go there. The demo itself is short, but I really enjoyed the handling of the cars. The difference between FWD, RWD and 4WD is there, and its just as fun as the handling in Driver always has been.

I really like the shift feature. Especially when you shift into some random Dodge Neon and all of a sudden you have a wife nagging at you to slow down!

It lacks the 70's atmosphere though, and the city just doesn't seem to retain the aesthetics of previous Driver games.
Old 30 Aug 2011, 19:18 (Ref:2948497)   #3
SennaTheGreat
Veteran

England
Grimsby
SennaTheGreat has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Has anyone pre-ordered Driver: San Francisco off the Game website? If so have you had any emails saying "Item is dispatched and payment recieved"?
Old 6 Sep 2011, 11:03 (Ref:2951612)   #4
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
I had a go there. The demo itself is short, but I really enjoyed the handling of the cars. The difference between FWD, RWD and 4WD is there, and its just as fun as the handling in Driver always has been.

I really like the shift feature. Especially when you shift into some random Dodge Neon and all of a sudden you have a wife nagging at you to slow down!

It lacks the 70's atmosphere though, and the city just doesn't seem to retain the aesthetics of previous Driver games.
I literally couldn't agree more.

It desperately misses the whole 'retro' feel. I don't feel there's enough bits of crap to drive through/knock over, too! It sounds silly, but that's what the original Driver was all about... Handbreak turning and shortcutting a corner, taking out a load of chairs/tables along the way

Selby
Old 8 Sep 2011, 05:59 (Ref:2952512)   #5
valet_dave
Rookie

Australia
valet_dave should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was close to buying a copy, but it was a little too arcade in the end. I felt the "shift" feature was a bit too unrealistic and more like a cheat.

I agree with what you are saying about the retro feel and not having enough objects to negotiate.

It seems like if you want a good cop chase... you go need for speed (which is way too arcade for me) or if you want do just drive anything you see, then Grand Theft Auto (although I don't know whether the vehicle dynamics are as good).

Driver could have been so much more, they've lost something... maybe they're just targeting a younger audience, or I've just got too old and uncool.
Old 8 Sep 2011, 14:24 (Ref:2952739)   #6
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Driv3r was the last good Driver game, it had all the feel of the previous games, and Reflections had clearly done quite a lot in the way of physics, which made the thing just feel so much better! The damage was fantastic, the car would handle like you would expect it to. It had a fantastic 80's feel to it as well, which worked very well, even though it was probably set in the present day.

I honestly don't see why they had to change the Driver formula. It should be Tanner, the undercover cop, infiltrating the bad guys and travelling to loads of places across the US and Europe. And it needs the director mode too!
Old 9 Sep 2011, 07:50 (Ref:2953032)   #7
jimothy84
Racer

England
Swindon, Wiltshire
jimothy84 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've been given a copy, I've played it for a good few hours and I just don't like it. Missing that certain something that made the original Driver games special. Plus the shift feature is rubbish, really detracts from the spirit of the game.
Old 9 Sep 2011, 13:14 (Ref:2953133)   #8
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
Tanner is in a coma. I feel they could have done a Life on Mars type storyline where he awakes in the mid 70's San Francisco or something!
Old 11 Sep 2011, 07:02 (Ref:2953733)   #9
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Played this for a few hours last week and was pleasantly surprised, was much better then expected. The shift feature is a lot of fun, however weird it sounded like before the games release.
Old 28 Feb 2012, 23:50 (Ref:3032720)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I got this for £15 before Xmas. Really enjoyed it, surpassed all my expectations. The shift feature, for me, is a brilliant idea and adds an extra dimension.

Multiplayer is really good too.
Old 29 Feb 2012, 14:59 (Ref:3033061)   #11
ECW Dan Selby
Veteran

England
Essex, England
ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!ECW Dan Selby has a real shot at the podium!
I've now got it for the PC (new PC, too ) and hooked up my Xbox wheel to it (with force feedback, too! Pleasant surprise), and I have to say, it's real good fun!

As much as I was initially disappointed by the lack of retro feel to it, after getting over that, I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

The muscle cars + drifts = ALOT of fun.

Plus, swinging the car around and going in to a plethora of donuts is immense!

Selby