Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

View Poll Results: What would you like to see added or changed in the V8 Championship?
Cars to get bigger tyres 7 17.07%
Cars to get lighter 7 17.07%
Bring back the biff 16 39.02%
Add the GP races as championship events 9 21.95%
Less desire to go to street circuits 12 29.27%
Another manufacturer 13 31.71%
Endures not to count towards championship 14 34.15%
A night time race 20 48.78%
Reduction of running costs for teams 7 17.07%
Novelty idea – run the cars on an Oval track (Calder Park Thunderdome) 14 34.15%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27 Mar 2008, 01:04 (Ref:2162630)   #1
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
North QLD
F J Nedos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What would you like to see happen next year?

Having read many threads and posts on this forum, it seems as though there are quite a number of people who aren't 100 percent happy with the current V8 championship or its structure.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that the V8's in their current form are popular, yet many are quick to voice negative opinions about a certain aspect of the championship (which btw is perfectly OK, people are entitled to their views).

So I thought about starting a constructive poll which would give people the option to suggest a change or two to bring a positive light on the series, or to simply renew/refresh enthusiasm for the sport.

I have put a list of possible suggestions, in no particular order of preference. There might be some suggestions I have missed - I have paid particular attention on not adding a negative suggestion (i.e. remove all of the VESA board, or egg TC's house). The idea of this poll is to make positive suggestions, not to dwell on negatives.

So give it a burl - it might be interesting reading for anyone in an organising capacity to see what this target audience would like.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 02:17 (Ref:2162662)   #2
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
for me i'd say less desire for street circuits, be more loyal to our perminent circuits and put the money towards them not racing on the streets.

i would also like to see the GP become part of the championship and the enduro's taken out.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 03:15 (Ref:2162675)   #3
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I voted for the reduction in costs. We've already got the 'HAVES' and 'HAVE NOTS', plus the rich daddy factor. It would be great to have a series winner [driver and team] who got there on talent, rather than the pile of dollars his team has got, in our most popular motorsport series. Australia is still not that large in population, and the pile of sponsorship gold ain't that big.
I think I am pretty well up to speed on most of the rules and regs for the series, however, I think keeping it as simple as possible for the average punter is a good move.
There are some good ideas in that list, but whats the old saying -' if it ain't broke, don't fix it'
Old 27 Mar 2008, 03:20 (Ref:2162677)   #4
Trickyonne
Rookie

British Virgin Islands
gods own country
Trickyonne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
cheaper beer at the races !!!!
Old 27 Mar 2008, 03:34 (Ref:2162679)   #5
db120176
Racer

Australia
Sydney CBD
db120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the griddb120176 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd like to add a race at a still functional Oran Park to your list
Old 27 Mar 2008, 04:00 (Ref:2162687)   #6
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
how the hell did FJ vote 6 times?
Old 27 Mar 2008, 04:02 (Ref:2162688)   #7
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
North QLD
You can choose more than one option. I guess I chose 6.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 11:58 (Ref:2162942)   #8
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
North QLD
Bring back the biff and Enduros not counting towards the championship are the winners so far...

Another manufacturer isnt far behind.

If we come up with a clear winner, then if the powers that be see it and implement it - then we can take a bow as the pioneers of the change!

Woohoo.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2163426)   #9
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
As with most international racing (and much sport these days), have it run by someone who loves the sport more than they love the money and power.
Old 27 Mar 2008, 22:52 (Ref:2163452)   #10
Scream'n_Demon
Rookie

New Zealand
Hamilton
Scream'n_Demon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a resident of Hamilton, I'd like to keep the street circuits please .

I'd like to see the V8s go back to Reverse grids at some stage. Also, I'm glad they've loosenes the rules around contact, and also what you can and can't say. Makes things a bit more interesting. Of course, from a purist's point of view, the series isn't in too bad shape at the moment.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 06:53 (Ref:2163606)   #11
porsche91722
Veteran

Australia
S.E.Qld
porsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridporsche91722 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scream'n_Demon
As a resident of Hamilton, I'd like to keep the street circuits please .

I'd like to see the V8s go back to Reverse grids at some stage.

NOOOOOOOOOO.................. May the reverse grid idea crash and burn into the deepest black hole, never to be seen or heard of ever again. Sorry to dump on your suggestion, but to reward poor performance and handicap the winners, and the spiralling repairs the teams are accruing, I don't think that is the way to go. Sorry about the rant, but every time I hear the 'REVERSE GRID' idea, it gets me going. I had better go and have a lie down.
Old 28 Mar 2008, 07:03 (Ref:2163608)   #12
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
peckstar has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Reverse grid Reverse grid Reverse grid Reverse grid Reverse grid Reverse grid
Old 29 Mar 2008, 22:28 (Ref:2164774)   #13
Buckshot
Veteran

Australia
Cambridge Gardens, NSW, Australia
Buckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBuckshot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Get rid of the pit stops at the "sprint" rounds.
Old 30 Mar 2008, 09:30 (Ref:2165031)   #14
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
i think things are goinh preety good. the 4 races into the season and 4 drivers have won a race. different people on the podiums at both rounds. the racing seems pretty good.

I reckon the big change they should make, is not to change the point score (not that i like the current system, i just want it to not change so we can get used to it)

anotehr manufacturer might be nice also
Old 30 Mar 2008, 10:19 (Ref:2165060)   #15
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckshot
Get rid of the pit stops at the "sprint" rounds.
IMO it would make it even more of a follow the leader as now the only little bit of excitement comes from the pit stops.
Old 2 Apr 2008, 09:18 (Ref:2167639)   #16
F J Nedos
Veteran

Australia
North QLD
Well the poll says "Night Time Race" and "Bring back the biff"

So some bingles at night seems to be the go.

Now which circuit could be lit up? Maybe the Melb F1 track - have a V8 race after the F1's have finished and let em rip up the streets at night.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 05:06 (Ref:2168370)   #17
ford71
Veteran

Australia
Adelaide
ford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridford71 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
My pick for Night Race didn't appear, but I think that it would be an awesome spectacle. The late evening laps at Clipsal are enjoyable, would be great to have a legit race at the Top Level at that time (or later).

Also I would like to see longer races for the sprints (not double the laps but certainly more than current setup). Often I feel the sprint races are over too soon.

Then they can work out a way to have consistent gaps between rounds or at least a minimum number of off weeks between. 5 and 6 weeks is WAY too long to wait. At the moment we are 2 rounds in to a new year and Clipsal and EC feels like last years racing. God help the less-committed fan to keep an interest.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 05:34 (Ref:2168381)   #18
Reload
Veteran

Australia
Reload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridReload should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I voted for the enduro,s to be a stand alone event.
Nothing like the good old days when the teams had a " all or nothing " attitude towards the race.
As far as the night time racing and bringing back the biff, i,m all for it.
Old 3 Apr 2008, 09:50 (Ref:2168506)   #19
peckstar
Veteran

Cayman Islands
just a question but when was Bathurst ever an all or nothing event, to me it always seeled like survival of the fittest and funily enough it still seems like that, We no longer have drivers winning by multiple laps though. last year we had two passes for the lead in the last 6 laps, i can never remember that happening before when it was not part of the championship. The last two years have been two of the most exciting finishes in Bathurst history
Old 3 Apr 2008, 12:44 (Ref:2168621)   #20
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Night time racing = day time racing but you can't see as much, never seen the point. On the other hand, that could help with 'bring back the biff' since no-one will know who biffed who...
Old 4 Apr 2008, 03:55 (Ref:2169194)   #21
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Racer
for me i'd say less desire for street circuits, be more loyal to our perminent circuits and put the money towards them not racing on the streets.
Oh the shame of it all, I'm agreeing with Pro Racer

I believe the street races do nothing for the sport in general just cause money to be spent by governments and line the pockets of the series owners rather than track owners who support all forms of motorsport.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 07:40 (Ref:2169269)   #22
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
whats wrong with agreeing with me?
Old 4 Apr 2008, 09:59 (Ref:2169342)   #23
SSbaby
Veteran

Australia
SSbaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm sick of seeing the Chrysler safety car. Therefore I want to see a Chrysler 300C racer instead.

Wouldn't mind seeing an Aurion racer with Toyota's NASCAR engine. It would sure look sexier than the FG racer (never thought I'd think that let alone state it!).
Old 4 Apr 2008, 10:46 (Ref:2169393)   #24
Matt
Veteran

United States
Connecticut
Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!Matt is going for a new lap record!
My choices, Biff, Night, and OVAL. Race the night race at Calder Park. The oval race at AIR, just build a lot more grandstands, haha.
Old 4 Apr 2008, 12:26 (Ref:2169475)   #25
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Have you seen the state of the oval at Virginia?!
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen