Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 13 Jul 2007, 17:03 (Ref:1962623)   #1
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Champ Car 2007!!

So.....where is the enthusiasm? This place is dry as a bone.. This is Champ Car!

Sure things were not good with the start of the season. Far from it to be honest. Certainly didn't meet the goal that was planned for the season that was meant to be a leap forward... BUT since Cleveland we have had fantastic races. Mt.Tremblant a fantastic road course and now part of the rich Champ car tradition. Then the soaked Toronto race which was thrilling.

With the European swing which I can't wait for in the fall I think that is where CC will start pick up even more. The two events will be big and the ticket sales are already doing well. Title sponsor just announced for the Assen race. Then in 2008 there will be another 2 Euro races in UK and Germany or France. Each year in the spring and fall to Euro swings of the great road courses of Europe. The fans will turn out as they really are promoting the Euro events well. They will be the better races of the season.

Promotion has lacked in years past with CC, with the exception of Edmonton, they really are making steps forward.

With the Euro swings and already new sponsors and the new adult team there should be the home drives of Europe at the Euro races with 1 car deals or aditional cars added to teams and a stepping stone for 2008 with hopefully new teams and drivers.

Steve Johnson has recently been replaced by Tony Cotman which is fantastic news. I was never a fan of SJ. The way he let CC slip in the build up cost CC heavily. TC is a good man, he knows what needs to be done and it looks as though he'll be doing his best to make them happen.

And above all its great now that the DP 01 problems have been fixed. The standing starts have been a great success. I'm not really a fan of the timed races but hey.... The DP 01 has really helped this year with new teams being competitive. We've had 4 different teams win races already this year. Team Australia, Newman/Haas/Lanigan , Indeck Forsythe Championship Racing and of course Minardi USA. The points battle is also very exciting and close between Will Power, Bourdais and Doornbos.

Buying the DP 01 didn't help at all for the current teams because they had to buy a new chassis when years passed they kept they fateful Lolas or Reynards in the chassis freeze days.. But 2008 the current teams will already have their own and all will continue in 2008 as they won't have to spend out on a new chassis.

And continuing on with the drivers... Sure 17 cars isn't good at all...But overall from 1st to 17th the drivers are all competitive and a lot of new talent this year from Europe and their own Atlantics series. The Toronto qualifying gap was 1 and a half seconds from 1st to last..I rest my point.

Either way things really seem to be picking up.. Sure I miss the Lola CART era chassis. The DP 01 just doesn't seem CC but its starting to grow on me. Either way Champ Car fans have some exciting months laying a head.

It's good to be back.

Last edited by luke; 13 Jul 2007 at 17:07.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 03:59 (Ref:1962866)   #2
Davhut
Racer

Davhut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Stick a fork in Champ Car, they're well done.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 04:19 (Ref:1962869)   #3
Tony Clifton
Racer

Tony Clifton should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I was at the Vegas race and I will be at Surfers and Phoenix. Car count does need to come up but Champ Car is FAR from dead. Some great racing still lies ahead!
Old 14 Jul 2007, 06:13 (Ref:1962880)   #4
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to admit, before Mont Tremblant and Toronto, I wasn't really paying attention to the season other than "Oh, SeaBass. Okay."

I think the one thing that probably put me off for a good chunk of the season was Vegas. Boring track IMO, and even more boring coverage from NBC. Maybe it's just me, but when your network yanks the same guys that do their BORING-AS-HELL NASCAR coverage (notice I said the COVERAGE was boring) and put them to comment on a series that I'm pretty sure they aren't familiar with*, it doesn't make for very interesting TV. Add to that an "okay" at best track (again, my opinion, I've heard people applaud the Vegas course for being a wide street track with decent overtaking spots), and it doesn't put a viewer such as myself into a hopeful mood for the season.

But after these last two races, now I really want more. One upside to this season is better competition seeing that there's less of a chance for teams to end up being "pigs" this season. Not to mention the new names. I was really waiting for Jani to finally try his hand at a Champ Car. Then came Doornbos, then Halliday, then both PCM guys. It was finally good to see quite a few new names (and not just Atlantic graduates or IRL has-beens out of a ride) on the field that are actually able to run with the top guys, unlike last year (NICKY PASTORELLI?).

So now I'm really waiting for the European leg of the season. I remember back when fans were really psyched about the Rockingham/Brands Hatch/Lausitzring events and how some (such as myself) really thought they were on the right path with those races (ASIDE from Brands. Corby and Lausitz were excellent tracks (aside from Zanardi's incident) for CART to have raced on IMO) Who knows, if it's successful, it might be a sign of things to come. Then again, that's what I thought after Lausitz and Corby.

*I remember Bill Weber doing pit reporting for the 1998 USRRC Daytona 24 for ESPN2, and of course Wally Dallenbach Jr. is no stranger to CART, especially with his dad being a former driver and competition director/chief steward. But seeing that they're used to the style of commenting that NBC's NASCAR coverage brought every race, they really didn't add to my viewing experience. If anything, they might've taken away, especially with not even knowing some driver's names (Don't get me wrong, of course you're going to have someone mispronounce "Dalziel", that's a GIVEN. But I cringed every time I heard Weber say "Neel JANNY")

Last edited by chemhead1; 14 Jul 2007 at 06:16.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 16:57 (Ref:1963158)   #5
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The jury is still out for me.

I find the new car fundamentally very wrong (flappy paddle shift in Champcar? Euro styling?). The main excitement behind it was that it would offer a chance for new teams to arrive, to fill the grids. Err, OK then.

On top of this, the season began badly. Very stale and turgid on idiotic street tracks, being tackled with cars that weren't exactly well sorted and prepared.

Of course, we have had some good stuff more recently. Mont Tremblant was good and Cleveland also. Doornbos has been a revelation. But for the first season in history I have enjoyed the IRL far, far more.

I guess I still yearn for the days that will never come back. All those great drivers and teams battling wheel to wheel on the most diverse range of courses imaginable. I know it is unrealistic to want it to get back the way it was (the best series in the world by miles!) but it's hard not to think of how it used to be every time those cars line up for a standing start.

Last edited by Knowlesy; 14 Jul 2007 at 16:59.
Old 14 Jul 2007, 22:28 (Ref:1963303)   #6
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
Im quite enjoying this year immensly

I love the new car , I think it looks great and goes well.

The drivers are very good this year and I guess Im even more excited to see Bourdais not running away with it (allthough he still is the class of the field)

Next week is Edmonton and I cant wait
Old 14 Jul 2007, 22:42 (Ref:1963313)   #7
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I understand fully why some may feel as though their interest has dropped with Champ Car. I'm honest and it did with me. Las Vegas was not a good moment. All the technical failures within the DP 01 and not allowing certain drivers to have an equal chance because of the fuel problems among other gremlins did suck. But there are problems with all new cars. The GP2 car at first had its problems. This happens in all forms of motor sport with new cars. However they should have sorted out the problems before break for Portland.

I'm just enjoying the fact that the last 3 races have been great and remind me of past Champ Car years. I'm enjoying the fact that the points battle is 4 or 5 points between 1st and 3rd. The new talent of course.

I think for Champ Car followers the next few months are good times.

I saw the DP 01 at the Autosport show. I thought it was a very nice car. But with the Champ Car liveries they just don't match it. But the car has finally grown back on me and it is kinda cool. I think by the end of the season interest will be back with a thrilling finale at Phoenix in December. What other series are racing in December? Should be good for overall interest.

I'm just looking forward to the great events like Edmonton, San Jose, Road America which each year provide exciting racing. The euro swing will be cool at the great road circuits of Assen and Zolder.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 02:16 (Ref:1963379)   #8
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm pleased at the moment.

SJ is in sales where he should be and Cotman is running the show.

New sponsors are coming on board.

A number of cities are being looked at for next year.

Mont Tremblant, while it will never be packed with hundreds of thousands, is great for tv and the series.

I'm not concerned with car count. I'd rather have 18 fully sponsored cars then 12 fully and 12 barely making it.

Looks like a lot of new title sponsors for different races are coming aboard.

I'm hoping some new guys from atlantics move up next year.

Overall, I think there is a lot of potential if we can get a good schedule next year and some continuity with drivers.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 03:52 (Ref:1963400)   #9
chemhead1
Racer

United States
Buying H-doujins in Los Angeles, CA
chemhead1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
I saw the DP 01 at the Autosport show. I thought it was a very nice car. But with the Champ Car liveries they just don't match it. But the car has finally grown back on me and it is kinda cool.
I really though the DP01 with the Champ Car liverie was just plain "bleh". I really love it with Minardi USA's liveries.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 08:28 (Ref:1963447)   #10
Bernard Bram
Racer

Bernard Bram has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I'm probably missing quite a good season, but since it's not on tv anymore here in Germany i lost interest. Maybe next year, who knows? Besides, if they intend to run in Europe, run on ovals ffs! I can get my fix on roadcourse racing easily without champcar.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 08:46 (Ref:1963451)   #11
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
I guess I still yearn for the days that will never come back. All those great drivers and teams battling wheel to wheel on the most diverse range of courses imaginable. I know it is unrealistic to want it to get back the way it was (the best series in the world by miles!) but it's hard not to think of how it used to be every time those cars line up for a standing start.
I know - I was browsing through some Youtube clips circa '96-'98 the other day.

Circuits like Rio, Belle Isle, the Superspeedways, big tough physical cars, names like Zanardi, Moore, Tracy, Franchitti, Vasser, de Ferran, Castroneves, Blundell, Ribeiro, Pruett, Rahal, Andretti - and they were all known quantities featuring in ad campaigns and the like. The best racing series I've ever had the pleasure of watching...

I think I've come to the realisation that we are never going to get back to that. It breaks my heart because it was so good - but it's just never going to happen again.
Old 15 Jul 2007, 23:39 (Ref:1963990)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac
I think I've come to the realisation that we are never going to get back to that. It breaks my heart because it was so good - but it's just never going to happen again.
Well everything changes anyway, so it was bound to happen. In terms of getting back to the level you mentioned, I think it's possible. It may be different, but still the same, if you know what I mean.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 09:51 (Ref:1964243)   #13
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, thanks to rain the racing has been more exciting and circuits like Mt. Tremblant are always a good thing to add.

While I stand ready to be accused of being "negative" (I prefer "realistic") it would seem that getting overly excitied about a series where you have 8 cars finish seems a bit OTT.

Essentially what we have now is a Skip Barber Series on steroids. One can almost read the ads for signing up (and for the drivers, bringing cash is about the same thing, isn't it?).

"Experience racing just like the professionals! Drive in a competive racing series in high-tech, identically prepared cars!"

Excepting for the fact that the Series owners do not call the sponsorship a driver brings "tuition" we have about the same thing. This Series has a long way to go yet before they remove life-support.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 12:12 (Ref:1964336)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnSSC
Yes, thanks to rain the racing has been more exciting and circuits like Mt. Tremblant are always a good thing to add.

While I stand ready to be accused of being "negative" (I prefer "realistic") it would seem that getting overly excitied about a series where you have 8 cars finish seems a bit OTT.

Essentially what we have now is a Skip Barber Series on steroids. One can almost read the ads for signing up (and for the drivers, bringing cash is about the same thing, isn't it?).

"Experience racing just like the professionals! Drive in a competive racing series in high-tech, identically prepared cars!"

Excepting for the fact that the Series owners do not call the sponsorship a driver brings "tuition" we have about the same thing. This Series has a long way to go yet before they remove life-support.
Champ Car is at a low point but there is the potential foundations for the future. Champ Car is Champ Car so that's why I watch it because I enjoy Champ Car.

But to say thee CCWS is a Skip Barber Series on steroids is a little harsh. The grid maybe low and not fantastic but there is a talent and I'd say this is the strongest year of OWRS CCWS in terms of talent.

I am looking forward to the European swing. If it's a hit there is the potential for a good market.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 12:54 (Ref:1964389)   #15
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
I think is one of biggest positives of the year. The racing has been good with the addition of two drivers to the winners circle.

Quote:
8 car finishing is a concern but that said I usually get excited more by racing and overtaking then I do by car counts at the chequer, whether that is IRL or ChampCar.

Quote:
Essentially what we have now is a Skip Barber Series on steroids.
Thats the current state of AOW, actually many series across the world. The one make craze is proving a common one in todays climate
Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:19 (Ref:1964408)   #16
Mystery
Veteran

Jersey
Jersey
Mystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridMystery should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have been really quite disappointed with CCWS this season. I was anxiously awaiting the first couple of races and they were really a huge disappointment and I've really not got back into it properly since.

Accept the last couple of races might have been very exciting, but in virtually any form of motor sport in the world adding a random factor in the poor conditions always helps the racing so I don't think one can fairly judge on those events.

I really struggle now to find any excitement for CC even though it's not always completely obvious that SB will win. The racing in the events I've seen just isn't up to it, and IRL does have the edge this season for me - although as at the start of the season neither series is in particularly great shape.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:27 (Ref:1964416)   #17
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
The IRL is just as poor. The stands at Watkins Glen were literally empty. Not that this is a comparisons thread but as the IRL had been brought up.

This is the current situation with AOWR.

We'll never see the CART days again but after a few years lets see if OWRS has got to where it had planned. Lets not forget they had to start from scratch with what was ever left of CART that had died.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 13:43 (Ref:1964431)   #18
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thats the thing, as sad as it is, the world needs to move on from the glory days of CART.

Have the happy memories but the constant comparison between then and now doesnt really achieve anything.

AOW is what it is at the moment and everyone wants to improve on it, but talking about the past I dont feel does anything.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 14:19 (Ref:1964467)   #19
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Yeah. I missed the 'golden era' but I saw CART in the new millennium and it was still emence and miles a head.

There just isn't the fan base anymore. That's why the direction is currently very different. I mean you can race at all these ovals but they would be bare in the stands. The IRL tried taking them up after CART left them and also had little or no success and were dropped. A few still exist but they are the back bone of that series. Maybe the IRL will grow one day who knows.

But this is about CC OWRS and there is only so much you can do when the series was left for dead. They literally had to start all over again. In the current AOWR situation that's a huge task. I have faith in the KK and co, I know I sure wouldn't want the difficult task.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 15:44 (Ref:1964526)   #20
norman-normal
Veteran

norman-normal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Problem is, back in the "golden era", fans were mourning the loss of the previous "golden era".

Look forward, be positive, enjoy.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 19:06 (Ref:1965018)   #21
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think most people need to forget abou the 'Golden Era' of ChampCar. Yes, those years were great, but in the end it all collapsed in on itself and almost killed the series off.

Instead of continually looking back and thinking 'this is what the new series should be like', the new guys should be looking to produce a 'new' series, which they are trying very had to do.

The foundations are there at the moment. But this is going to be a long building exercise with no easy quick-fixes.

It's going to take patience and some finance, both of which are in short supply in the modern world of open-wheel.

Of the current series, since I lack cable, I haven't even seen a race.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 19:22 (Ref:1965035)   #22
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The foundations aren't there. To me it is much the same as it has been the past few years in terms of strength and everything, although admittedly I know nothing of the behind the scenes machinations.

But from what I can see the series has not moved forward. Except we have a new car.

Well whoopey-do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke
The grid maybe low and not fantastic but there is a talent and I'd say this is the strongest year of OWRS CCWS in terms of talent.
That is quite a contradictory statement. And also false - strongest year in terms of talent? You really think so?

You know, it really bugs me. But all we seem able to discuss on American OWRS is the size of the bleedin' crowds! Does that not tell you that there is something still hideously wrong here?
Old 16 Jul 2007, 19:35 (Ref:1965043)   #23
Leighton Irwin
Veteran

Canada
Victoria Harbour (on Georgian Bay)
Leighton Irwin should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Dr. Steve Olveys book 'Quick Response' provides some very interesting insights into the reasons for the situation. Actually the entire book is fascinating and I finished reading it and started over again right away! He is pretty forthright in many of his comments. It is worth the read for any racing fan no matter where their interests lie.
Mods: you might want to move this but it does pretain to CC.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 20:16 (Ref:1965086)   #24
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Quote:

That is quite a contradictory statement. And also false - strongest year in terms of talent? You really think so?
To just say what I said was false and contradictory isn't fair imo.

It's much more competitive from 1st to 17th. Eg 1st to 17th was seperated by 1.5 seconds at Toronto.

The likes of Neel Jani, Will Power (now winner), Robert Doornbos, and other respected drivers. All those were F1 bound (or raced there). Add in Tristan Gommendy. That's 17 good solid drivers and no weak ones IMO anymore as I believe Legge and Heylen are reasonably good.

Then the likes of Graham Rahal and Simon Pagenaud from Atlantics.

Out of the 4 years of OWRS this year has the most talent, even though there is 1 less car.

Quote:
You know, it really bugs me. But all we seem able to discuss on American OWRS is the size of the bleedin' crowds! Does that not
tell you that there is something still hideously wrong here?
What are you on about 'discuss on American OWRS in the size of the crowds?'

Champ Car still draws with the crowds on the non ovals that's how it survives.

Quote:
The foundations aren't there. To me it is much the same as it has been the past few years in terms of strength and everything, although admittedly I know nothing of the behind the scenes machinations.
Look Knowlesy CC was left for death. They had to rebuild with nothing. What was left were teams that were in bad financial shape thanks to Pook from 2003, bad contacts with track owners sponsors etc from CART, it's very difficult to make any sudden impact when AOWR isn't very appealing anymore. AWOR is invisible so it will be very hard to break threw when it does, how many years it'll take is not important.

No one is forcing you to watch Champ Car, don't like which is the sounds of things, don't watch it.

This forum is lacking a lot of enthusiasm. There is nothing wrong with it.

Last edited by luke; 16 Jul 2007 at 20:23.
Old 16 Jul 2007, 23:19 (Ref:1965254)   #25
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
Quote:

Right. 800hp, no traction control, slicks, and limited aero. That's no skippy machine.

Me, personally I couldn't care if we had 17,18 or 19 cars. Means nothing. I would rather have those cars fully sponsored before we add to the grid. What is important is that we have a good 3 way battle going for the championship with a few other players involved as well. That is what interests me.