Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 6 May 2002, 23:45 (Ref:278947)   #1
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indy Memories

Man, I love the month of May. It always brings back great memories. Some of the best times I've ever had were spent watching Indy 500s. Yeah, I know you're thinking that I should be posting this in the IRL forum, but all af my favorite Indy Memories are from the CART era at the Speedway.

This year's edition is gonna be one great race, but I think that the best Indy ever was 1991.

If you'll allow me to indulge myself, I'd like to share a paragraph from a piece that I published last May called "Top Ten Indy Memories" (Some of you may have read it, as it was re-published in the Ten-Tenths Newsletter)

The 1991 Indy 500 is at the top of this list for a very simple reason. As a race it typified what racing is all about. Late in the race, two drivers, both consummate professionals, were giving it 110% for the win. Michael Andretti and Rick Mears both fought hard for the win. These two men demonstrated a level of respect and trust for each other that saw them go wheel to wheel in the closing stages of the race. Michael Andretti took the lead from Mears in a daring pass on the outside of the turn. It was a flawlessly executed maneuver, and an outside pass is rarely seen on the 2.5 mile Indy oval. But lightning can strike twice, as Mears took back the lead using the same outside line a few laps later. By then Mears had his car dialed in, as Andretti’s setup began to go loose. But Andretti didn’t give up the fight, but even with the benefit of a late race caution, Andretti was unable to catch Mears. Rick Mears became just the third person in the Speedway’s history to win four Indy 500’s. Although nobody would have thought it at the time, it was also Mears’ final moment of Indy racing glory as he retired in 1992. I’ll be honest; I was sorely disappointed that Michael Andretti didn’t win. But it was a great moment for Mears and a great race overall.

Thanks. I really would be interested to hear some other people's Indy Memories, like I said, I love the month of May, especially since now many of CART's top drivers are back at the Brickyard chasing a little piece of Indy history.
Old 7 May 2002, 06:09 (Ref:279140)   #2
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Yes, that was a moment I'll never forget. I've been a fan of Rocket Rick's since I was very young. In fact, I've got a beautiful Thierry Thompson print hanging in our living room, commemorating that very win.

I've never been to the Speedway, so all of my fondest memories are from the TV. Unser Jr's battle to the checkered with Scott Goodyear in '92 kept everybody sitting on the edge of their seat. Man, what a finish! And poor Goodyear. What about in '95, the last CART-sanctioned event at Indy, where he passed the pace car coming back to green late in the race and was black flagged. He refused to answer the flag and was subsequently not scored. But the most amazing thing about that race was the victory by Villeneuve. It was only his second appearance there, having finished in 2nd as a rookie, and was assessed a two-lap penalty early in the run. That seemed to end his race for him. In fact, the TV cameras never showed his car again for quite a long while. But he fought hard, kept his focus, and with the help of a few yellows made both of those laps back and won the race! I like to think that Jacques was the first man to win the Indy 505. Something else I'll never forget was Dennis Vitolo's car sitting atop Mansell's at pit-out in '94. Never have seen a replay of what exactly happened there. But without a doubt my fondest memory of the Indy was just last May. The CART sweep, most notably the Penske sweep, was storybook. Too bad the race was rain delayed, postponed, rain delayed some more... I automatically get Indy Sunday off work, it's sort of an unwritten rule. But I had to work Monday, which was race day. There was no way I could leave with the Penskes in the lead! More rain... Dry the track... Rain... Dry... To make a short story long I was over an hour late for work. But I'd do it again. Another fond memory I hope to have will be Penske winning #12 in a few weeks.
Old 7 May 2002, 13:29 (Ref:279446)   #3
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My best memory is of Our Nige coming within spitting distance of an Indianapolis 500 win as a rookie in 1993 but due to inexperience on yellows on an oval, he kinda blew it! But to finish third in a quality field is still a great achievement.

Pity his race in 1994 was ruined by stupid acrobatics.
Old 7 May 2002, 13:41 (Ref:279452)   #4
SevenGrain
Veteran

United States
Berea, KY
SevenGrain should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It still remember Dennis Vitolo's reaction to running over the top of Nigel Mansell.

"I looked down and saw that it was a Newman Haas car that I was on top of, and I said to myself, Oh God, I hope that's not Mario"
Old 13 May 2002, 01:06 (Ref:284422)   #5
TheColonel
Rookie

TheColonel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The month of May is down to raceday. I used to live in Speedway, Ind and rent parking in my yard for 10 bucks a car on pole day! There used to be over 200,000 fans who paid to see the run for the pole. The crowd at pole day now reminds me of a Memphis Chicks AAA baseball game - who gives a damn? What George has done to Indycar racing in the US is a shame that will take years to repair - if ever!