Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 9 Oct 2010, 15:31 (Ref:2772014)   #1
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
New Audi TT-RS

Now this is what a GT3 should be!

I always thought the R8 belonged in LMGT/GT1.

I like the look of this car a lot. For sometime now I've believed GT3 should be the class for smaller sports cars or pony cars, while LMGT/GT1/GT2 should be the domain of GT's, larger sports cars and the most powerful muscle cars.

I hope this trend follows.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 15:39 (Ref:2772017)   #2
lemansfan
Veteran

Germany
westernmost District of Germany
lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!lemansfan has a real shot at the championship!
A good Reason for me to make next weekend a Trip to the Nürburgring .
Old 9 Oct 2010, 15:51 (Ref:2772021)   #3
tux
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
tux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtux should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Is this car racing in GT3 then? From the article it is not clear. If so i am unsure as to why Audi feel they need to bring out a new car already the R8 is still competitive, this just means now teams with the R8 will want to upgrade to this new car, spending lots of money on cars and spares. Also the car looks to have a crazy amount of aerodynamic parts, kinda like a DTM car.

Still it does look good and im sure it will do the buisness on track.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 15:52 (Ref:2772023)   #4
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
That is a mean looking beast from the front!
Old 9 Oct 2010, 16:07 (Ref:2772029)   #5
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
I Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridI Rosputnik should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Is this car racing in GT3 then? From the article it is not clear. If so i am unsure as to why Audi feel they need to bring out a new car already the R8 is still competitive, this just means now teams with the R8 will want to upgrade to this new car, spending lots of money on cars and spares. Also the car looks to have a crazy amount of aerodynamic parts, kinda like a DTM car.

Still it does look good and im sure it will do the buisness on track.
I'm guessing it's a GT3. I agree that the article isn't clear, but I do get the feeling we will be seeing it in GT3 someday.

(If somewhere it says the TT is not explicitly racing in GT3, could a mod edit the title? Also could a mod add this press release in? Thank you.)
Old 9 Oct 2010, 16:24 (Ref:2772036)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
It has AWD?

The body kit looks cheap.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 16:32 (Ref:2772039)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
It's not for GT3... in road trim that engine in there makes 335bhp.... they can bump that up a bit, I'm sure, but they'll get nowhere near what they'd need to be competitive in GT3... and the AWD is banned there as well.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 17:52 (Ref:2772081)   #8
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The english translation makes no mention of GT3 - it talks of the SP 4T class of the Endurance Championship. I'm assuming that's the VLN series but might be wrong and I'm not sure what the SP 4T class rules actually are.

I always thought that Audi should do a GT4 version of the TT-RS, inc 4WD if allowed, (although this would be too advanced by the looks of things) but this looks like its been developed for VLN, Dutch Supercar, Britcar type regs.

I also thought that a TT-RS with Seat SuperCopa standard aero & underpinings would go well in national racing classes.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 18:03 (Ref:2772087)   #9
The359
Veteran

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
The359 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, a car with a 5-cylinder certainly isn't going to be running in GT3, especially with that wild bodykit.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 18:11 (Ref:2772092)   #10
I Rosputnik
Veteran

United Kingdom
Livingston, Scotland
Ok, can a mod get a rid of GT3 from the title? I got it wrong.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 18:57 (Ref:2772112)   #11
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
It's not for GT3... in road trim that engine in there makes 335bhp.... they can bump that up a bit, I'm sure, but they'll get nowhere near what they'd need to be competitive in GT3...
In the quattro concept car that was presented in Paris, the same engine produces 408 bhp (300 kW). MTM tuned the engine to 472 bhp.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 18:58 (Ref:2772113)   #12
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The359 View Post
Yeah, a car with a 5-cylinder certainly isn't going to be running in GT3, especially with that wild bodykit.
Neither of them would actually be a problem, methinks. Look at the Volvos in SCCA World Challenge - they are roughly as fast as GT3 cars and powered by a turbo charged 5 cylinder as well - as were some famous and fast Audis in the past.

And the bodykit: The position of the wing is a problem, but the rest? I don't think so - without a firm rulebook you can pretty much do what you want in that area. The current "King of fender-flares" is probably the Alpina and the Audi isn't all that much wilder...

That's not to say that it will ever race in GT3, but these two are no definite reasons why it can't...

Quote:
In the quattro concept car that was presented in Paris, the same engine produces 408 bhp (300 kW). MTM tuned the engine to 472 bhp.
Interesting, with 472bhp, they'd get quite close to where they'd need to be for GT3... is that for road or track?
Old 9 Oct 2010, 19:07 (Ref:2772117)   #13
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Interesting, with 472bhp, they'd get quite close to where they'd need to be for GT3... is that for road or track?
http://www.worldcarfans.com/11010052...i-tt-rs-by-mtm
Old 9 Oct 2010, 20:00 (Ref:2772136)   #14
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Rosputnik View Post
Ok, can a mod get a rid of GT3 from the title? I got it wrong.

Sure can!
Old 9 Oct 2010, 20:37 (Ref:2772152)   #15
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This seems like a VLN-rules special to me. Strange, didn't BMW try this with the Z4 once and not really sell many cars?! I suppose with the Creventic races there are a few other places to run a car like that now, but it does not seem likely to become the sales success the R8 GT3 has been.
Old 9 Oct 2010, 20:58 (Ref:2772167)   #16
Speed-King
Veteran

I don't think Audi spent all that much on the TT-RS project so far... as mentioned elsewhere, Raeder has been running two TT-S all season long in VLN and I think a lot of their knowledge went into the RS... the rear-wing for example looks pretty much like it's been taken straight from the TT-S...

If they can develope this car on the cheap, they don't need to sell all that many cars to turn a profit
Old 9 Oct 2010, 21:04 (Ref:2772168)   #17
cmk
Veteran

Canada
Linköping, Sweden
cmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridcmk should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I meant to also add that it didn't look like a high-cost project. Fortunately for customers I think Audi's cheap sportscars are going to be better engineered than most cheap sportscars...
Old 10 Oct 2010, 16:09 (Ref:2772670)   #18
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Indeed with the TT RS project Audi is able to offer a cheaper and a little bit easier to handle economy model for customers what definitely isn't the case with the R8...

Old 10 Oct 2010, 19:36 (Ref:2772743)   #19
andy97
Veteran

United Kingdom
Castle Donington
andy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridandy97 should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
The body kit looks cheap.
It doen't look too disimilar to the Audi TT raced in DTM in the early 2000's to me.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 04:17 (Ref:2772901)   #20
GT-Eins
Veteran

Germany
Hannover, Germany
GT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGT-Eins should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by tux View Post
Is this car racing in GT3 then? From the article it is not clear. ...
It is intended to run in SP4T-class (2-3l Turbo) in the VLN.

As mentioned in our article we understand this to be a testrun to develop a Cup-car that could be converted to various specs like VLN/GT4/Future GT3 and so on, like Porsche has with the 911 GT3-Cup.
Old 11 Oct 2010, 04:34 (Ref:2772905)   #21
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
So its a VLN special? Nevertheless the car looks very tough.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 03:09 (Ref:2773549)   #22
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy97 View Post
It doen't look too disimilar to the Audi TT raced in DTM in the early 2000's to me.
That was my first thought from the flares and their DTM-style aero treatment. Definitely looked more aggressive than I would have thought a GT3 would be.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 13:07 (Ref:2773791)   #23
TRuss
Veteran

TRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTRuss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It does look very functional.

Now we just need some video.
Old 12 Oct 2010, 22:23 (Ref:2774060)   #24
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've seen it described as a DTM car on some websites? The specs sound like SP4T-VLN for sure, but could that be a sensible basis for a future DTM? Such a car could be sold for around 200k and would provide good racing... And if it's 4WD (do we know whether it is or not for real?), RWD cars from other could be equalised with a bit more power (plus turbo boost can certainly get it to 400-450 hp)
Old 13 Oct 2010, 06:53 (Ref:2774173)   #25
Speed-King
Veteran

Unfortunately it has nothing to do with DTM, neither past, current or future... it looks a bit like the old TT-Rs from 2000-2003, but that's about it.